Weather

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by sam_slimwise, Aug 1, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. sam_slimwise

sam_slimwise New Member

A real-time weather in Arcanum 2 would be great, don't u think? We all enjoyed the day/night cycle, but I would like to see the seasons change, I want to feel that I'm actually in January, amidst the cold winter winds blowing up my face like razor sharp blades. I want to see my footprints in the snow, and sure would like to see the snow-covered roofs of mountain-side villages.
    Offcourse that would all be different if you were in April, and not to mention the hot-baking sun of summer.
    I realize that Arcanum 2 SHOULD be set in a high-resolution 2D environment, but won't it be impressive to see the spectacular season changes?
    What do u think? Is it possible?

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Probably not. At least, not the extent you would like.

It's possible to have area settings like that - just look at dungeon seige, which worked it really well. The weather settings are built into the scenario/area during creation. Youd have to have four different versions of each area - one for each season - if you wanted it to change. That's ALOT of extra code if you consider most games come on two CDs now at least! :-o

3. gargob

gargob New Member

Let's say Vendigroth science pollutes Arcanum and now there is ACID RAIN. :lol:

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i'd like to see weather affect combat tactics, like if its poring rain it could be easier to sneak because of the noise and low visibility, but harder to engage in melee depending on the surface you are standing on, and its varying levels of "slippery" would a fireball still work in the rain? would it get your gunpowder wet? etc. and if it was really cold out you might have to buy winter clothes and such, depending on your constitution.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Weather effects are nice... they tend to add more dept and variety to the game. Some situations just require a nice thunderstorm. Not to mention the different skill adjustments.

It's quite interesting, since you easily could turn some game-important quests much trickier. You have to lift that purse from the extremely aware guard on a calm summers day. You have to fight that huge ugly monster with infrared senses in this pitch-black cavern. You have to cross those snowy wastes without proper clothing etc etc.

Besides, it would be neat if seasons changed. I'd like to walk in the grey, mushy snow of Tarant in winter and return there six months later to see mutated flowers sprout up in the garbage heaps. What a joy :p !

The only problem I can see is that you would need the help of five strong men to carry all the discs home... :roll:

6. gargob

gargob New Member

I wanna see Tarant flooded. :lol: x 10000000000000000000000000

7. voidknight_27

voidknight_27 New Member

Adding weather would be ver interesting, but i think that would be more complicated, and for people who have aslower comp the game might load very slow if say there is rain. But it would be fun

8. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

yeh cos then when you read a paper and it said

"with an icreasing chance of precipitation before the passage of a fortnight"

you may just believe it...

9. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

well they could say if it were going to rain or not.

Our Host!