Thief/mage tips needed (a new forumer, howdy all)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Shire, Aug 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shire

Shire New Member

Ok, I'm pretty new to this game, but know a bit already, been testing a few chars and stuff. First I noticed that mages are way easy to play and very powerful (almost overpowered). But alas, the game tends to get boring with mages, I think I made pretty well with them, got one up to level 30 when I reached Tarant, but now I'd like to test a little thieving. I noticed that being a thief is not enough, as I want to use magical items as well, which requires MA and I like to have a few spells in my pocket.

So, I got now a halfer, raised by orcs, level 11, I think, just leaving Shrouded Hills (done one trip to the city down by the coast, can't remember the name). I built my thieving skills and lock pick and a melee pretty nicely already, and now I want spells. I happened to find small arcane traveller's robes and a dagger of speed on the wise woman in SH, so I want to up my MA to be able to use them correctly (I wish one could steal more than 100 gp at a time..stealing all that money back from the woman was a looong process..stole over 12k).
    OK, so the questions are following:

1) Which spells should I take? I already took Agility of Fire, and was thinking of Disarm, maybe a necro white to some healing, but I doubt I can make to Invisibility in reasonable time. Or should I go for it?

2) What to do after Black Root and Tarant? The mines Bates points me? Or should I explore the map for items, exp or something?

I appreciate any answers as long as they are somewhat constructive, no flames please.

-Shire

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

A theif-mage? Definately your going to want disarm, but mostly b/c it leads to unlocking cantrip. Put alot into Dx, you want that heading for 18. Shoot for Invisibility, and keep putting few points in lock picking, until you have 5 there. It might be tech, but it actually uses Dx as the skill its based on, so a pure mage might be better at picking than a pure tech. Invisiblity will take you until your at least lvl 15, so you may want to put a point in prowling to hold you over, although invis is basically magic prowling and it uses magic aptitude instead of Dx. If you want to steal more than 100 G, pick up Ristezze's key and take his money. He usually has around 2000, although in the inventory files, it says he can have up to 3000. white heal is a great spell, I like it more than major heal, and you should think about harm too. Personally, I'd say do the story line until you can get to Caladon, b/c then you'll have access to most of the map. Of course if you need some levels go to wolf cave, bout halfway between Blackroot and Dernholm. Just be careful, b/c I scanned the wolf cubs that are there, and they are actually wolves, with the same ridiculous stats for a lvl 3 monster, that are shrunk. O define halfer, a half elf, ogre, or orc. I would assume elf, b/c your going for magic, and as a tip,a pure elf might be a better choice for a theif mage. Work up your wp alot too, course thats a given for a mage.

P.S. Flames, flames

3. Shire

Shire New Member

Thnx, flame me gently :)

Sorry, halfer=halfling. Well, I'm not gonna get Invis by lvl 15 in any way. I need to raise my WP by 10 points and then 5 in the Phantasm school, but I might go there near lvl 30. Harm you say? Isn't it based on AM (isn't every damage spell?)? I think it would be rather weak, but I must think about it, I sure like the spell, most useful spell IMO.

I had to thieve the wise woman, cos I wanted my money back I used when I bought the robes and the dagger. I got the smithy's key, as well as ristezze's (sp?) and I generally check every shopkeepers stock for free :) gotta love prowling+pick locks.

I was thinking that those wolf cubs were a bit too tough to be cubs..

BTW is there really any use for money in this game? So far I've been able to steal almost every item I want from shops. So is there really any reason to stockpile 100k+ gp?

4. gargob

gargob New Member

If someone ask's you to run around naked don't do it as for the game might as well.

5. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Shire, if you have chosen to go the thief path then there really isn't a good reason to stockpile so much gold.

6. cadaver

cadaver New Member

** SPOILER ALLERT **

but you might want to have 50k
    it could be handy to buy a ship (after 3/4 of the game, after the panarii temple)

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

It could be even more handy (especially for a mage) to acquire the ship from a certain old pirate :)

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Use Agility of Fire to boost DX, don't push it with those precious CPs.

Prowl does not = invisibility. Prowl can help invisibility, but you don't need to study it. Use the Small Robe of the Chamelion, & a pair of rings that come later for a free 9/4 (10/4?) boost in prowl. Enough for prowl Expert.

Acquire the Helm of Yacazar's Cost from the Torin Quary. +4 PE, great for the mage thief. If someone picks the stone up, save it somewhere safe, a dresser or chest. Get the Guantlets of DX from the Elven Trader in Ashbury, & for prowling, the Elven Boots.

Harm runs on MA. If you are going to study lockpick, and I recomend that, it will be weaker, but still useful. A mage thief would use direct damage spells only as a backup. Consider Stun, one of the best quick getaway spells in the game.

The BMC mines can be done at level 10, but not by a begining player. 15 is more reasonable. Explore Tarant. I think there are about 5 - 6 levels just in quests in that city for a lower level PC.

9. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

I meant prowl = invisibility in that both accomplish the same function. If your going mage, invisibility is much better, because you dont have to study it. About thinking harm is kinda weak, with 100 MA, you would b suprised. And when your trying to get away from a bunch of mindless monsters, harm never hurt anyone, except maybe the mindless monsters.

10. Shire

Shire New Member

Yes, I know about Harm, played a good mage..my most used spell.

11. gargob

gargob New Member

Disentigrate makes you the perfect thief locked door "Disentigrate" annoying witness "Disentigrate" locked chest "Disentigrate" Opps

12. Shire

Shire New Member

Oh, didn't even thought of disintegrating doors and stuff. Maybe it would be worth the shot.

But I fancy Teleport, so I migth go that way, I think I just train my prowling and let the Invisibility out. I noticed that backstabbing is awesome with prowling, I liked it veeery much :)

13. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Teleport isn't a must, but a great help for a low patience player. It also allows you to check the inventory of the shops and wise women. In fact, the whole Conveyance college is extremely useful for a thief or other "non-combatant". Disarm, UC, Unseen force, Spatial distortion- they all have their uses.

14. Shire

Shire New Member

Yeah, it suits me perfect. I also like the divining school. I like to check things out and the Id spell is good if you're in a big dungeon, I can drop the s*itty stuff I find and keep those worth keeping.

15. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

The final divination spell can be pretty pointless when you can steal all the identify scrolls that you want.

16. cadaver

cadaver New Member

I know but then you have to destruct a very 'weak' sword which I really like :lol

17. ralph

ralph New Member

You dont need to take stringy Pete's quest, when you can kill him and take the ship!!!

18. cadaver

cadaver New Member

never knew that (I always did the quest)

19. gargob

gargob New Member

That's if you can do it.

I AM A BIG DICKHEAD WHO IS COMPLETELY INCONSIDERATE AND WAY OVERUSES SMILIES!

20. Canis

Canis New Member

Wow, I never realized what an asshole you are. And you think people should be locked up for adultery? That's definitely the worst spam post I've seen in ages.

I've always wanted to use the following smilie, but never really had the opportunity. Not even all the other assholes here seemed to merit it. Congrats! You win!

:asshole:

Our Host!