Your attention, please, CharlesBHoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chalupa Cobra, Jul 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Does the American president deserve a premature death by sniper's bullet??

Poll closed Aug 5, 2003.
  1. Indubitably so. That corruptive, corporate-pandering lech must be PUT DOWN!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay, I say. G. W. is a crusader for all that is good and right in the world today!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Voting with bullets is wrong.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gargob

gargob New Member

Ferret how come you don't consider comics as books.

In the 1960s they were thicker and now they are called COMIC BOOKS there's character development, plot twists and plot holes and continuity.
    In Japan they consider comics literature. And not every comic needs superheroes and villains. Archie is a good example as is Garfield, Peanuts, Beerkada etc. Even sometimes superhero comics don't show the heroes as heroes. Also the characters aren't one-dimensional.

2. Zen

Zen New Member

I might have misunderstood what you where aiming at there...

I don`t agree with Ferret here on the stupidity of comic-creators, but calling a comic-book, magazine or whatnot, a book (without the "comic" prefix) is just lame..

Of course you cannot call a comic a book: it isn`t!

It`s a comic!

No matter what they did in the 60s, how thick or good it is, it`s still a comic(-book).

A "book" is written literature. Though pictures might be present in some extent, the main emphasis is, opposed to the comics, on the written word and not the pictures..

- Zen

3. gargob

gargob New Member

How about picture books the pictures seem to be emphasis and the words seem to be for narrating.

4. Zen

Zen New Member

I guess this depends on how and what you read, but isn`t the story in picturebooks driven by the text? The pictures tell no tale without the text, as where the comics almost has a "frame-by-frame" way of telling a story, and are absolutely capable of conveing a story without the aide of text other than the odd onomatopoeticon.

There obviously is a difference, othervise everything would be called the same..

- zen

5. gargob

gargob New Member

But if the artist and writer are the same maybe the writer wants you to see the picture as s/he sees it but if the writer's drawing isn't that good they team up with an artist. I believe some comics don't need the pictures but have it because of the reason above.

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Then they're not comics. Comics are a series of pictures, giving a storyboard overview of a series of events. Sometimes they have words, some comics don't have any words at all - they tell the story through the actions portrayed in the pictures.

I'd also just like to point out that I didn't say comic-creators were stupid. Nothing of the sort. I personally don't really like comic style but prefer an indepth narrative description that a decent book has to offer.

Gargob, in response to your last post, I have nothing against illustrated story books. If the artist wishes to include pictures and illustrations then that is their perogative, but it is usually a sign that the writer has either a lack of talent for desriptive literature or, more likely, is writing for children and wants to include something for them to look at. In either case I feel that makes the book not worth my reading, but as I said, it's purely a personal opinion.

7. gargob

gargob New Member

I sometimes think comic sereis depend too much on cliffhangers.
    It is limiting that some have only 24 pages.
    Now that you mention it I do prefer indepth books but haven't had the time to read them anymore.

8. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

So! has anyone read any good picture books lately?? I've been leafing through old National Geographics. . .

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

They're not books, but magazines anyway. Besides, I already mentioned that factual publications use pictures alot. They're not DEPENDANT on the pictures, but they do help an awful lot. And they don't tell a story either. They simple extablish, or enhance knowledge. Not really the same thing.

10. Zen

Zen New Member

bottom line

Be it magazine, book, strip, pamphlet or whatever, a comic without pictures is no comic...

- zen

11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I wasn't talking about comics......

12. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Ferret have you ever read Sandman by neil gaiman?
    Ever read Preacher By garth ennis.

Try reading them. Will change your wiev of comics compleatlly.

13. Zen

Zen New Member

Terribly sorry Ferret, but apparently I missed out on a page here.

This is the post I did answer..

Again. Sorry 'bout that..

- zen[/i]

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

15. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Anyone seen or heard from CharlesBHoff lately?? It seems like he isn't going to attend this thread. . .

16. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

It seems that he's gone, thankfully. I suppose we can all go back to talking about trivial things now. Hurrah!

17. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

When did we stop talking about trivial things :D

18. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

I bet he'll show up sooner or later. Then we'll all have to talk seriously again. I haven't lost hope!

19. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I hope he returns to talk a hole in your head with his senseless blabering. When i have left that is.

20. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Goddamnit Qili, I wanna go to that school you're going to. Sign me up, it matters not that I don't speak a word of Norwegian! I love scuba diving!

Our Host!