In Case You Didn't Know...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snowmane, Jul 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Hmm...

That is one solution, to be sure. Sounds like unneccesary work to me though. I dug once, because I didn't know it was frowned upon and I had to talk shit about Sleek_Jeek, because he is my nemesis. The thing about automated systems though is that they always do the same thing, even if you don't want them to. I suppose you could set it up to make exceptions for boards that don't get posted to that often, but are still good topics to discuss. If people would just follow the rules instead of question them... yeah right. Well, I guess it's just a good thing I'm not a moderator, or I'd be banning half the people involved in this forum for spamming. Hell, I'd ban people for bad grammar, and failed insults too. I come to this forum because I can't stand any other forum I've been too, and chat rooms ignite some strange spark in me, and I end up getting kicked out for obscene comments and pure jackassery. The House of Lords is a great forum though, and anybody who doesn't think so should just quit breaking the rules and stop posting.

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

locking everything might be a bad idea because then you'd be flooded with brand new threads every time someone brought up a dead topic

3. xento

xento New Member

What? That is very hard to understand, but I think I get what you are trying to say. No, it wouldn't bring the locked topics to the top, AFAIK. It should just lock them silently, like it would if it were pruning them.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

no what i meant was... if someone reads an old topic and posts a question in it, isnt that better than having them start an entirely new thread? that way you dont have a forum thats a million pages long?

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Don't worry about Xento. He often doesn't quite understand things. :D

(No offense) :razz:

6. xento

xento New Member

Grrrrrowl......

Sleek, that is why you should use the Search function, if you have a question, and post if there is no other previously posted answer.

7. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

you still dont get it...

i'm not saying i'm going to do that, and i'm not saying it wasnt the first thing i did when i found this forum, all i'm saying is that wouldnt it be better to not have brand new threads popping up as n00b continuations of dead conversations!!!

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

And YOU still don't get it either - "n00bs", as you so eloquently call them, digging up old threads just to ask a question is not a good idea. Given how old the thread would be, chances are any subsequent questions have been answered, and any related ones already asked, and again answered.

Try searching.

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

GRAR!!!! SLEEK JEEK STAB!!!

i never said grave digging was a good idea, i'm just asking if having brand new threads reffering to OLD CONVERSATIONS that have been LOCKED is better or worse than just having them dig up the old ones so we can tell them their idiots?

as in NEWBIE registers in the forum as SILLYNEWBIE

SILLYNEWBIE just bought arcanum and has some questions about character development, he browses the most recent thread titles and sees one with a title that could have something losely involving the details of his question, he doesnt notice that the last time someone posted in it was january first 1975 he skims through, sees that someone's slightly related question was answered and then posts his own question, causing the thread to jump back to the top of the forum, even though further searching would have shown him that all of his questions were answered in the early sixties...
    but at least in this situation the number of threads in the forum is the same as when the n00b, or newbie registered his screen name...

but if we locked them all, then he would create an entirely new thread just to post his dead ass question, thereby raising the thread count by one... and if we have 20 newbies do this then it is raised by 20...

so there, if you dont understand what i mean after reading my example then its probably because your house is slowly filling with carbon monoxide as you read this, go open all your windows, call the fire department, and read it again...

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Well, considering the size of the database already, a few more threads from time to time isn't going to hurt.

11. xento

xento New Member

Sleek, that's why he would then back up and look further down the line.

One thing we could do would be to put an announcement of 'Read before post' rules. If they were not followed, the question could just be ignored.

Another option would be for all the old posts to be locked, and then, if the old question is asked again. The poster could, instead of flaming, search for the newbie, and just give them a link to the proper thread, since newbies are newbies.

Besides, the problem isn't the Hints 'n Tips forum. The problems are in the General Discussion.

12. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

its all pretty pointless anyway, as soon as you made it impossible for a n00b to do one stupid thing theyd figure out another stupid thing to do...

13. Zen

Zen New Member

lay off the noobs!

Who says you have to be a noob to do stupid things?

- Zen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!