Velorien's blessing...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Dances with Clams, Aug 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dances with Clams

Dances with Clams New Member

Can anyone confirm exactly what you get from Velorien's blessing? I've seen three different variations, but which one is correct? According to Terra Arcanum, it's +100 HP/FAT, +2 Melee, +3 Dodge, +4 DEX, +3 Pickpocket and +2 Firearms. Prima's Official Strategy Guide, however, has it at +100 HP/FAT, +30 DR/MR, +4 DEX, +12 Melee (12? How's that possible?), +12 Dodge, +12 Pickpocket, +12 Firearms and +12 Persuasion. Finally, SMetzler's walkthrough at GameFAQs has it listed as +100 HP/FAT, +3 STR, +3 DEX, +3 Melee, +3 Dodge, +3 Pickpocket, + 2 Firearms and +30 DR/MR.

Also, how soon can I get Velorien's blessing? I'm currently in the Black Mountain Clan Mines.

2. gargob

gargob New Member

Have you tried the search option? I think there was a topic similar to this.

3. Dances with Clams

I did try the search option, but I couldn't find anything that was of any use.

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Good lord, Chalupa's logged in as Gargob!

The blessing is:

{202}{resistmagic +30, dx +4, resistdamage +30, maxhps +100, maxfatigue +100, melee +12, pickpocket +12, persuasion +12, firearms +12, dodge +12}//Velorien's Blessing

For the 12.... Each rank in a skill consists of four units. Some items in the game, you'll notice, only give you a fraction of a rank. So +12 will give you three ranks in whatever.

You won't have all the altars open to you until you go to the Wheel Clan. The Bedokaan Village you can get marked if you go to Qintarra early, and even Vendigroth can be forced. But you can't get into the Wheel Clan before its time in the main plot.

5. gargob

gargob New Member

I heard if you step on the altar at Vendigroth early you will die. :lol:

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Uhm... will the bonus to firearms result in an increased technological aptitude? It should do, but with it being a blessing and all that... :roll:

Just curious.

7. Canis

Canis New Member

:ponder: You know, I'm not sure. At the Sierra boards I've seen some people claim that it does, but others say it doesn't. I never noticed. I'm inclined to say that it doesn't, just because in general whenever you get skills without spending character points on them (like if you increase your firearms with the editor) your TA doesn't budge. But I can't say for sure.

Well this is a pretty useless post then isn't it.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    Let's just then agree that all mages should have three spare CP's to spend at spells when they take the blessing, shall we?

9. Canis

Canis New Member

Agreed. :shakes hands:

Oh, I wonder if the game takes into account when your MA or TA goes over 100? Suppose a mage has already learned so many spells that his MA would be well over 100 if you bothered to count it all up. If the blessing lowers his MA, would it lower it from its actual +100 number (in which case the mage could still have 100 MA) or would it lower it from a base of 100?

There are still so many things in this game I've never bothered testing. And people say Arcanum is a shallow hack-n-slash, HMPH!!!

10. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Too bad Shadygrove isn't here right now. I bet he's plumbed the depths of these seeming unknowns.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Never tested either. But I've got an elven diplomat mage going on right now. I guess I'll try it and see what happens.

You know, I've used to hang out at the NWN boards (my shame, it is...). There are in fact people that say that NWN has better story and NPC-interaction than Arcanum. I really feel sorry for them - something can't be quite right in their heads.

12. Luvian

Luvian New Member

According to the character editor, magic and technical aptitude stop at 120%

13. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Having played both games I can tell you that, from my experience and point of view, NWN has a longer story but Arcanum has the more interesting, convoluted and involving story; NWN just leads you through it, whilst Arcanum involves brains and cunning, plus a multitude of methods.

However, as far as character interaction goes, NWN IS superior. This is because Arcanum and NWN both have the same level of direct NPC interaction but NWN allows you to examine the NPCs to a greater extend. In addition, when it comes to followers, Arcanum allows you to manipulate inventory only, as well as initiate a little dialogue between you or allow less than a handful of them to make things for you. NWN however, allows not only manipulation of inventory, but intelligent AI for spell casting and item use. It also allows indepth customisation of follower behaviour and interaction.

I'd have to say there is a big difference in gameplay though. Arcanum wins hands down in single player because of the sheer range of options and development. NWN wins hands down for multiplayer and roleplay capabilities, whether in single or multiplayer.

14. Dances with Clams

Wow, didn't expect this to get so many posts. :eek:

Thanks for the help, Canis. I think it was you that helped me in my other topic. I went to bed right after posting this, so I didn't see your reply until this morning.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to revert to an earlier save. Dante seems to have equipped the Blackstone Blade several times, and his DEX is now only two, renedering him useless in battle. I only lost a couple of hours, but I have to do the Tarant sewers again. GAH. Oh well. No big deal, I guess.

15. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

No, the blessing does not change your MA / TA. Even after my battlemage got Expert firearms training, it did not budge. As she was at MA 60 something, she realy didn't want to try guns though.

Yes, it does, & I suspect it goes further than the 120% the character editor allows you to mess with.

Sorry about Dante, Dances with Clams. Never give a follower an unidentified weapon unless they have something truly uber allready in hand. An Arcane weapon, the Axe of Lost Time, or a Pyro Axe will usualy prevent equiping anything lesser. You never [/i]have to do the Tarant Sewers.

16. Canis

Canis New Member

Oh, goodie, that's what I figured. Or hoped, rather.

The character editor also doesn't let you adjust your alignment to more than +/-100, and we know that your alignment can definitely go much higher or lower. Not the most reliable tool for determining various game working, that's all I'm saying.

17. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I personally have used it to change MA to +120. Maybe it changes over the different versions, because this was a long time ago and I only used it once to see what it was capable of. I've never actually used it to alter a save game though, so that too may make a difference - I've simply run the program on a save...

18. Canis

Canis New Member

Not your magick/tech aptitude, your alignment. I mean, like on the evil-o-meter. Can't budge it past +/-100 in the editor.

19. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Oh bugger. I'm going mad. Sorry. :cry:

Our Host!