I took the Arcanum challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chalupa Cobra, Jul 29, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. AngrySyrian

AngrySyrian New Member

Wait, when you say "final battle", do you mean against the Master or the Lieutenant? I'm trying to beat the game with the .223 Pistol

2. Flink

Flink New Member

Well, I guess most would concider the master to be the final battle. But I killed both the Lieutenant and the Master with the same Hunting Rifle. Mind you the master wasn't really that hard. What was hard was his swarm of Super Mutant Guards.

3. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

If you are speaking truth, Flink, then that is, quite frankly, an awesome feat. I'm inclined to doubt it, though.

At level 5 you have all of what, 24 hit points?? I think that amounts to about half a round of attacks from one of those floating jigsaw bots and perhaps a blast or two from a super mutant gun, depending on the armor you wear. Unless you have some sort of heretofore unheard of quick-loading skills I believe you cheated in some way. Heck, simply killing the Lieutenant is a fairly sizable chunk of experience.

At least my halfling pacifist post was somewhat believable. Give us details, man, DETAILS!!!

4. Flink

Flink New Member

I'm not boasting. You don't have to belive me if you don't want to. It was a while ago so I might not be able to cover everything. But I'll give it a shot.

First off, Your hitpoints are dependent on your endurance. As I was planning on finishing the game quickly, I made a character that had a very high endurance score. This factored in boosted my HP quite a bit.
    Also, Stocking up on drugs as I said earlier helped a lot. If you take 2 shots of Psycho you get almost 100% damage resistance. Granted, drugs are scares so I used them only when it was really critical and I was sure that I couldn't do it any other way. With high perseption and pretty much all my skill points put in to the small guns skill. I could kill from very far away. So far away that most enemies would pretty much constantly miss.

I was able to boost my perseption, endurance and agility scores by lowering my strenght score to 3. Unlike Fallout2, Fallout for some reason still lets you use weapons that your not strong enough to equip. The penalty for using it anyway either doesn't work or is very small as I was able to hit my enemies almost every time despite me constatly getting the "You're not strong enough to use this weapon properly." message.

Now, on to staying at a low level. The only things you really need to do in Fallout 1 are: A) Find the water chip, B) Destroy the Vats and C) Destroy the Cathederal.

This was pretty much all I did. Getting the water chip was pretty simple. The mutants in the Water Shed look tough, But they only have 40 HP. Execpt for Harry of course. Taking out Harry from a window at the back end of the water shed allowed me to get in a few shots before him getting to me. As for the rest of the mutants it was all about staying far away. 2 good shots from the hunting rifle and they drop. Then I just took the ladder down and grabbed the chip.

If I recall correctly I then went straight for the vats. Stopping only to get hold of some drugs. As I am a Fallout-fanatic, I knew where I could find stuff to sell and then use for drug money. I killed the guards from as far away as possible. Before going in I took my first two shots of psycho. This allowed my puny character to withstand the attacks from the 3 mutants just behind the door. Like I said, Psycho is an incredable powerful drug. Getting down to level 3 was very hard and it took several reloads. I ignored as many mutants as possible. And used explosives on the yellow force-field generators. In the base I was able to find a lot of equipment to pawn for cash. I also found a lot of stim-packs and more drugs.

One's down on level 3 I went for the Lieutenat. This was the hardest part and it took many reloads. I kept aiming for the eye's. I don't recall if the effects of the psycho I had taken on level 1 where still active or if I had to use two new ones. Thanks to some lucky criticals he finally dropped. I then made my way to the vat controls. With my shoddy sience skill it took many tries and mentants before I could figure out how to work the console.

Ones the vats blew I went straight for the cathedral. I got hold of a follower robe and thanks to it I was able to avoid most of the fighting until I got down to the Master. One's I was past the the things on the walls that attack you with disturbing images it took a lot of tries with 9% doctor's skill to heal my damaged eye. As I said earlier, the master wasn't really the problem, His guards where. With 2 more shots of Psycho I managed to take them out. I confess that I then used the "Stand behind the pillar, jump out, fire and go back behind it again before the master fires." strategy to finish the big ugly guy. With the robes I was able to sneak out again without any fighting.

There you go. One of the main reasons for me doing this was so that I could see the happy Necropolis ending before the mutant army attacks and destroys it. I had no idea how much time it would take before it would be over-run so I sped thru the game as fast as possible.

Also, Fallout unlike Arcanum was not ment to be finished by a level 40+ character. I think the designers where aiming for something like level 15.

As I said at the beginning. I am not boasting, I just thought it would be a fun thing to add to the thread. You are free to belive me or not.

5. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Alright, that makes your claim that you completed the game at level 5 and "drugs are always good" a little more believable. I never got the happy Necropolis ending and I doubt that I'll be going back to try for it any time soon -- I went through that game about a dozen times before becoming completely burnt out. I do remember that there seemed to be an inordinate amount of plastique lying about for a post-apocalyptic world. I also remember that most of my characters ended the game somewhere around level 20. I have one question: how did you get by the first door in the Cathedral without killing anybody if you didn't have the pickpocket skill (that's the one that required the bronze radiation symbol if memory serves me correctly)??

6. Flink

Flink New Member

Just because you haven't put many points in to a skill it doesn't mean that it can't be used. I had a decent agillity score. And besides having tagged small guns, I also tagged the steal skill. Put together. I had a semi-decent steal skill. I obviously can't remember the exact number but I would guess around 30-35%. The key is a small item and took only a few tries to steal.

7. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

I suppose that congratulations are in order, then. CONGRATULATIONS, Flink, on a job well done! It was, truly, an awesome feat. . . yet, I can't but wonder whether you are man enough to take THE ARCANUM CHALLENGE!

8. Resident Master Vampire

Resident Master Vampire New Member

9. Flink

Flink New Member

Hehe, thanks Chalupa Cobra. Some day I might give it a whirl.

10. AngrySyrian

AngrySyrian New Member

Ok, you can stop bragging now. Not all of us have the time and dedication you have towards beating the game just to impress folks. Some of us just like playing as evil SOBs who run around naked through Tarant laying down traps for unsuspecting NPCs :)

11. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Resident Master Vampire, for all the ladies out there who would like to take the Arcanum Challenge I have three words: BE A MAN!

AngrySyrian, evil is for little, sissy chicken-babies. BE A MAN!

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

To be evil is a challenge - you have to have a heart of stone and the conscience of a magazine of bullets waiting to be used. Yes, I just made that up, but it's harder to be evil than it is to be good. It takes a man to kill more than a dozen children in Fallout. It takes a man to mercilessly slaughter random citizens whereever he goes, and survive to tell the tale. It takes a man to kill the bounty hunter after him, and then take the armour off his still warm body and use it himself. It takes a REAL MAN, however, to do all of this with nothing more than a pistol.

I'm a REAL MAN...or at least, my Fallout character is.

13. Lord Deker

Lord Deker New Member

I think I have done something opposite to this amazing feat. That's not a feat to boost, not a skillful one, just a kind of playing style I wish to share.

I have my character a male human with no special background. I get no follower, so I even don't get the annoying Virgil. Plus, most important is that I don't use any of my character point, thus no melee, no dodge, no harm, no balanced sword, nothing of any skill, spell and tech.

My target is to have him doing as much quest as possible, and to see if I can finish the game. So I got my always critical miss guy to rock on those dangerous npcs. I always save, for sure. And I won't make money by stealing the Shround Hill shopkeeper or picking rubbish all days and sell.

The result is : extremely difficult game that always load, but I managed to get to BMC, but fail to dodge or kill all those monster.

Then I allow follower to join, but then the game become much easier and not so fun.

What I want to feel from this rubbish is : How a normal and simple person, with no amightly swordplay, no arcane spell, no smart tech, no light finger, and no sweet mouth, thus a completely innocent surviver of the crash, go through all the difficulties and face danger. It is awsome! Fun! Exciting! Try it, to try over 100 critical miss in 1 hour!

14. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

*pats Lord Deker on the head*

Nice effort, Lord Deker! I applaud you.

*golf claps*

15. Milo

Milo New Member

Shit, I killed at least three times that many children. And that's just with targeted shots TO THE CROTCH FUCK YEAH! Can you feel it, little Timmy? YOU FEEL THAT?! Didn't even use a pistol. I used a BB Gun that I took from a dead kid. Oh yeah.

It takes a real man to repeatedly shoot children in the genitals with a BB Gun until they die.

16. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

It sounds to me like the expressions of an abused child trapped in the body of a "real man". Didn't some kid kill his friend with a BB gun last summer??

You might want to consider psychological therapy, Milo, Jarinor. Get two therapists each: one from the Freudian school and one from the Jungian. That way if you don't believe that it's your id overruling your superego then at least you might buy that your anima's completely out of whack.

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I prefer to think of it as an imbalance in my ego, thank you very much. I subconcsiously allow my Id more control over my Super Ego than I should. Such is life.

Milo, I had so much to do, I only had time to kill the children in Shady Sands, The Hub and the Cathedral. I'm sure there were a lot more out there, but I felt like wiping out mutants instead, and saving my own ass.

18. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Hey what happens if you kill all the people in the vault exept the overseer and then compleate the game? Will the ending be any different?

19. Chalupa Cobra

Chalupa Cobra New Member

Unfortunately, no. His little self-contained world plods on. This doesn't change the beginning of Fallout 2, either.

Our Host!