Into the wastes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aura Emenator, Jul 22, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

I'm not sure that I'll get a response for this one, but I have to ask. Is there anybody out there interested in doing a fanmade version of the origin Wasteland game? I know fallout is better, but I think that if the graphics and gameplay of Wasteland were updated, maybe even converted to the special system, that it would be a good way for Fallout fans to get back to where it all began. Maybe the Fallout 2 editor could be used for this? I'm not a programmer, just an artist and a writer. A good artist and a crappy writer, but certainly not a programmer. I'm not really intending to start up this project now, but I have a friend that programs, and this is number one on my list of games I would like to see updated.

2. xento

xento New Member

Well, I'm not sure what Wasteland is. Will you enlighten me?
    If you did choose to use a game as a host, I would suggest, at least, a graphics engine *similar* to Fallout's, if not the exact one.

You COULD do it in Fallout, but the problem is that, unless DU and the FMF crew found out how, there is no way to import new objects into the game, so you would be stuck with the old stuff, unless it suited the look and feel of Wasteland enough, anyway.

BTW, what kind of artist are you?

3. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

A creepy one

e-mail me at auraemenator@hotmail.com, and I'll send you a sample of my work.

Wasteland is the game that spawned the Fallout series. Chech it out at

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

that site has everything a hardcore / old school gamer could want. If done using the Fallout editor, new graphics wouldn't be a neccesity. I'd rather find someone who can modify code, or create a Fallout like interface for me to skin. I don't know, just a concept. Anyway, you should go to HOTU and download Wasteland, the Paragraphs, and the Manual. If you loved Fallout, you enjoy it I'm sure. If you didn't like Fallout so much, but are interested in retro RPGs, you'll like it as a period piece. It was made by Feargus Uruquart (or whatever) and Chris Taylor in 1989 for the Sinclair Spectrum first, I think...

P.S. HOTU has a huge library of great games, and to me, is THE greatest gaming site ever.

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Actually if you go HERE you'll see the entire link netwok that underdogs is part of. there are lot's of games here for your amusement kiddies.

5. xento

xento New Member

I jsut played it fo a couple minutes and all I have to say is 'OUCH!'

You're not kidding about it 'needing better graphics'. The symbols for labels, type dialoug, and views drove me almost nuts, and I had only played for a mere five minutes!

Anyways, I don't know if I can help or not. It just depends on how needing Blackout Mods is at the moment, but I'll be happy to offer what I can, although there is no guarantee how much that will be. :/

6. Mael

Mael New Member

i think theres a fanmade wasteland
    its made in flash
    The Badlands: A Post-Apocalyptic Online Adventure
    its called
    i spotted this at NMA
    http://www.gobias.com/badlands/
    i havent check it yer

7. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Not ouch!

Well the graphics are seriously dated, and the interface could use a bit of streamlining; but Wasteland rocks damn it. All of the Fallout staples are there, in their humble beginnings. Mutants, zombies, the Children of the Apocalypse, and your party is a squad of Rangers. Few things compare to running down a mob of local children, and stowing your laser rifles, drawing your axes, and going to work on some post nuclear snot nosed brats. Did I metion its got zombies? Maybe I'm crazy, but have a love of old school games. Old school as in; everything from the Atari 2600 on up has at least a couple worthwhile diversions, and Wasteland was one of the first really good rpgs.

8. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Re: Not ouch!

*-cough-* The Bards Tale series. *-cough-*

9. stubbish

stubbish New Member

i wasnt alive then. that was the olden days .
    what about quest for glory 1.

10. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Olden days?.... ok that was hurtful, it was only mid to late 80's, sure the first two came out on tape...... but the third was on disk...... 5 & a quarter but it was still a disk....... methinks it's time i unpacked my amiga again.

11. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

Rogues are better than Bards!

Hey, come on! I said ONE of the first REALLY good rpgs. I am fully aware of the glory of Bard's Tale. I just think that skill and combat system in Wasteland was really great, and the setting and dialouge were way ahead of most games available at that time. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about, I play and own as many games that came out over ten years ago as I do newer games. Hell, Arcanum is one of my most recent PC games.

Our Host!