The Science-Fiction Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Settler, Jul 14, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You know, I would care, but the first amendment is meaningless to me. Fan fic is pretty pointless - sure, write it for your own entertainment, but why share it with the world?

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

we should bring this to the attention of George Dubya Bush.

all we have to do is convince him fanfics are immoral in some kind of right wing christian sense and cops'll be beating fanfic authors senseless before you can say FASCISM! just imagine it... computer's being confiscated. swat teams storming peoples houses like they were bong shops...

(explanation: g w bush, has launched a tiny crusade against bong shops, and now its a crime to blow and sell glass pipes if their purpose MIGHT be to use them for pot)

america's glass blowers, though still reeling from this loss of business, are recovering however www.glasslust.com

either way, VIVA POLICE STATE!

3. xento

xento New Member

Ditto on Jar's comment.

There is fanfics made by those who aren't American, you know, SJ. The amendments don't mean crap to them, and Bush has no power over the rest of the world, or at least not directly.

Besides, there is also the right to freedom of speech and press.

4. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

what do you think the first ammendmant IS? its the right to freedom of speech! and press! etc! :roll: :lol:

5. xento

xento New Member

I thought you were stomping on the fact that there is the right to freedom of speech and press...

And I'm not much into history, so I don't know what the amendments really are for by name.

6. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Yeah, and your brilliant idea was to have a special, limited First Amendment. So people couldn't write fanfics. Of all things. Annoying, yes, harmful, no. Your ideas rival my non-existant, retarded younger sister's.

7. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

jeez, dont bag on her just because shes retarded... have some compassion

8. xento

xento New Member

You DID notice the non-existant feature, didn't you?

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

yeah i did, but who am i to hold that against someone?

10. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

Bringing this back ON topic....... check out Kim Stanley Robinson's, Red, Green, Blue Mars series, altough at times (few and far between) it does get very heavy on the science, i found it a damn good read. So far they're the only book/series of books that i re-read as soon as put the last book down.

11. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Back on topic. Read everything by Philip K. Dick, Alfred Bestler, & Theodore Sturgeon. Heinlein untill senility set in, the first book of any Piers Anthony series, Gene Wolf's Torturer seires, Farmer when he writes his own stuff, not when he writes someone else's world or protagonist, Gravity's Rainbow if you can get through it, & all 10 of Roger Zelazny's Amber books. (More fantasy than SF, but he blends the two. Also his Lord of Light & Creatures of Light and Darkness.

And how could you forget Stranger in a Strange Land? That book was a strong influence on an entire generation & helped shape hippie culture. Maybe 1/2 a generation, the older boomers. There are few books writen in my lifetime that have had more impact or influence on my culture. Doctor Spock's child rearing books & Silent Spring come right to mind, but nothing else from SF makes it into that league at all.

12. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Hohoho

I read the Xanth series. Who needs smut when you've got Fantasy? That's my motto.

13. Settler

Settler Member

I can't believe I forgot 1984...one of the most brilliant, memorable endings ever...

Anyway, this is really, REALLY stretching the sci-fi bounds here, but I feel the need to suggest Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Hilarious.

Whatever you do, don't read the first one (The Colour of Magic) first (they're not sequential) - I suggest the City Watch story arc (Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, the Fifth Elephant and Night Watch), although I started with 24 out of 27, Thief of Time. Woot.

So many books that I was meaning to read...I never got around to them...[/b]

14. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

What are you talking about? The color of magic is the best one in the series, and you need tor ead that one to start understanding rincewind wich is the best charcater in the discworld universe. I mean, rincewind is allways a crooked coward that would rather sell his lion to a batch of hungry dragons to save himself. All the other characters change, rincewind don't, him and that nice chest of his.

15. Settler

Settler Member

Don't get me wrong, TCOM was great, I just thought it was more standard fantasy-humour fare, with only shades of Pratchett brilliance, e.g...
    How can Rincewind be your favourite character? What about Death?
    Or the Librarian? THE LIBRARIAN!
    Or Vimes, for sheer cynical-half-drunk-streetfighting-copper value? I spit on your taste in characters...*spits on taste in characters*...*wipes mouth*...*coughs*...

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

I've never read any of the discworld books... but i've played the game!

and man was it hilarious! kind of like monkey island, or at least in the same league...

but yeah thanks for reminding me i need to look into pratchett, it sounds like the colour of magic is a good place to start with his books? is there any particular order you suggest? i usually just like to read them in the order the author wrote them in... so i guess i'll do that...

jeez, i just kind of answered my own question... whats the point of posting huh? but seriously, what order would you suggest? i'll at least consider it before starting the discworld series

17. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

I don't like wimes. I don't think hes too funny also he is a man with a directio of what is good and bad, and he is at some occasions brave.

Rincewind is the ultimate coward,who only does not run away from danger unless someone is prickin him in the chest with a knife.

Deathn is funny to a certain degree.
    I also love ridicully.

18. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

Death is cool, and so is Rincewind, but the true greatest characters are Cut My Own Throat Dibbler and Gaspode the Wonder Dog. Who could possibly top their humor? It's a talking dog for godsakes!

TCOM is a hilarious book, and is the first i read, and i believe the first that should be read. Only the ones that don't have many of the running characters kinda sucked, like Moving Pictures, even though it had Gaspode and Dibbler, the book still sucked, and some of the later Rincewind ones were not as entertaining. The Watch books are the best though, cept for the first Rincewind ones, in my humble opinion.

Also, read Alfred Bester's short stories and anything by Arthur C. Clarke, cept for the anything past 2001 in that series.

Harry Turtledove also kicks arse, though he writes more Alternate History and less scifi, though alternate history is really a subgenre. His fantasy is also decent, though i can't find any at my library and are a bit too cheap at the moment to purchase his books.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series is kinda like a epic fantasy-scifi-western kinda thing in a semi-post apocalypitic **spelling can bite me** world. It's really cool, but very difficult to explain...

19. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

yeah, in video game terms its kind of like if the fallout universe fell into a worm hole and got spat out into planescape torment... sorta... and then you would need to mix in a little naked john woo gunfight action...

i guess you'd hafta mix in some 50 foot tall cybernetic grizzly bears though... or at least one of them... and a schizophrenic bullet train with an iq of 1,000,000

but yah i've read everysingle one of those books and have loved every one of them... they are great. possibly the most "fantastic" fantasy books i have ever read

20. Aura Emenator

Aura Emenator New Member

That's not all

Don't forget the Dune series by Frank Herbert (the books blow the movies out of the water.) And the Mission Earth series by L. Ron Hubbard. (who is fucked in the head, but writes good books.

Our Host!