WIN Eternal gratitude: Answer my question!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by kaeotica, Jul 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. kaeotica

kaeotica New Member

Hello! I've just registered on the boards due to an embarrassing problem.

Before you old-timers break out your sarcasm and insults, yes I did use the search feature; *no* I did not find what I was looking for (only a bunch of hoopla about the master bow or bow master?). That said, on with my really dumb, really newb question.

I have Dernholm marked on my map. I have lots of things marked on my map, but as it turns out, I want to get to Dernholm. I've played the game once before and I distinctly remember being able to get to Dernholm whenever I wanted to, but for whatever reason my path is "blocked." Do I need to get rid of those ruffians at the bridge in order to get to Dernholm? I've tried going there from every location I can access, as well as some in between spots with no luck.

Don't laugh at me. Or at least, not publicly. :) :lol:

2. Canis

Canis New Member

No. But you do need to deal with them in one way or another, obtain the bridge key, and cross the bridge before anything outside that little Crash Site/Shrouded Hills geographical enclave is available. Actually you may not have to cross the bridge.... But I think you do. Or maybe not. Oh just cross it already, you're there anyway.

Just talk to them and see what option you like best.

Also, welcome to the forum. :wavey:

And we usually only get mad at raving idiots who want us to type up an entire walkthrough for them in every thread so they're saved the pain of actually playing the game themselves. :D

3. kaeotica

kaeotica New Member

Thank you very much, though I'm really confused as to whether or not that was an answer :/ It will do, though. Your shiny eternal gratitude will arrive in 6-8 weeks. Please send $4.25 to cover S&H charges.

About typing up that walkthrough... ;)

Thanks for the welcome and the friendly response.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Essentially, Canis said that you have to cross the bridge in order to leave the little triangle of land around Shrouded Hills. That involves solving the Lukan quest in some manner.

You can either persuade them to leave, gaining some money and the key in the process, fight them and loot the key or join them and get given the key as a reward. Take your pick.

And welcome from me too. :wavey:

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

You can steal Lucian's key, pick the lock on the gate, or open it with Unlocking Cantrip from a safe distance as well. None of these solutions removes the bridge gang, or resolves that quest in any way, but they do get you out of town, perhaps to come back later with reninforcements.

Welcome aboard.

If you don't know the answer, no question is stupid.

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

this may seem like an overly obvious question, but have you already left S. H.?, if so, you just have to click on the bridge over the river east of S. H. as a way point and contiue on your merry way.

7. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I believe you have to have the bridge key in your possesion before you can venture out. The sites around the crash site are open to you without the key BUT to travel anyplace else you have to have the key.

I always pick it as soon as I get to SH LVL 1 and travel is not a problem. I then come back at a later time and take care of Lukan.

It wasn't mentioned in this post but you get one fate point for getting lukan to leave and if you manage to kill him while hes leaving, then you get another one.

Parmanian

8. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Nope, just getting out is enough. Try a mage with UC. Stand a ways up the river so you cannot be heard & fire it off. Then camly walk out. I think it is a 20% lock.

Why doesn't anyone in this game seem to swim?

9. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

so the trigger must be that little gnome on the other side of the bridge, if hes gone youre free to travel. But you would have to use that every time you wanted to leave SH eh? UC doesn't leave the lock open all the time does it? Never played the mage don't know!

parmanian

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The gnome is not the trigger, nor is his human replacement. I have a pacifist who did not give Radcliff the ring, & now it's Stun & run every time he leaves S. H. It is simply getting across that river. Edit yourself a scroll of Spatial Distortion & hop across that way, see if it works.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

They're probably all Hydrophobic. :roll:

I believe UC will leave it unlocked for the rest of the game, but lockpicking will not.

12. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

because the world map doesn't appear until youre way past the bridge, I figured you had to take out that guy. But like you say Being a mage and hopping spaces, maybe he doesn't see you!

Parmanian

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

if you're playing a tech character...

get a gun, get some fuel, get some rags, make some molotov cocktails, initiate the fight by throwing a molotov cocktails at the group of "ruffians," click the combat mode button while they are still a safe distance from you, open fire, use your molotov cocktails to keep them away from you while you wear them down with your pistol. (if you do this, make sure you have ammo and followers)

14. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The easist way to take on the bridge gang is the patented Shadygrove Rail Road Spike method. Drop Rail Road Spikes where each member of the gang will pick one up. They will use this totaly inefictive weapon instead of their much more dammaging fists (Spike, D 1 - 2, no FT). The fight will be a cakewalk, even for 98 lb. weaklings & Debutants. Rusty Daggers work the same way too.

15. kaeotica

kaeotica New Member

Thanks for all of your help. I took the persuasion route having something of a charmer for a character anyway. You were right, I couldn't leave the area until the bridge was open to me. On to bigger and better things!

Our Host!