Question concerning magical items

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by JoeFro84, Jul 17, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. JoeFro84

JoeFro84 New Member

How much MA is needed so magic items have 100% useability on them. For instance, if i want to make a magic inclined thief and hope to god i get an arcane dagger, what MA will it take so thats at 100%. If its not too high, i wont have to worry about maxing out my MA. Also, For a thief, instead of using prowl, would using invisibility be viable?? This makes it so i dont have to pour points into perception...

2. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Well I believe it is different for every item. Some of the more powerful stuff you would have to have a higher MA to get 100%.

3. LordCarlin

LordCarlin New Member

That depends on the individual item. All magic items have a "power" rating associated with it, the higher the rating, the higher the PC's MA needs to be to have full effectiveness. An arcane dagger has a pretty high rating, and to get 100%, the MA will have to be very close if not at 100. But, the arcane dagger is still pretty nice even if you do not have high MA; I found it a good weapon even with a MA of 25.

4. JoeFro84

JoeFro84 New Member

No biggie, i can have 95 easily, im gonna be evil, so sold your sold background, i want to max dex and str, 10 wp, dodge melee and backstab, phantasm, summoning tree at max (just because i like it) and i could put points into a whole other tree bringing my MA to 95. I figured i will use invis instead of prowl..I might stop at an MA of 70 though so i can get pickpocket..so i have 2 thief type skills..i beleive 70 is when people start calling you a poweful mage.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

That sounds very nice, but I should point out that with a willpower of just 10 you won't be able to have any more than 2 spells in any one college. :)

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

There is this helm that raises PE by 4 points... it's magic! There are Shadowing Robes & rings that boost Prowl. With no investment you can be an Expert in prowl, with a small investment in PE & prowl, you can Master the skill. Elven Boots & Expert prowl really help the Invisible stay undected.

7. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

yep ferret I was thinking the same thing about the whole spell tree with only 10 WP, a nice trick if you could do it eh?

But with the 70MA you'll not be able to shop in techy stores, so if you're gonna need some of that stuff then get it and put in inventory. Even if the stuff is for your followers!

Parmanian

8. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

You can't shop in the techy stores with a 70 MA? I thought it was just once you mastered a college that the techies wouldn't let you shop. Perhaps that is just when I reached 70MA.

9. JoeFro84

JoeFro84 New Member

Slight misunderstanding... +10 willpower, 18 total. All there is to be said about that i guess.

10. Aries Shion

Aries Shion New Member

Well

Tech stores start telling you that you can't shop in there, when you MA surpasses 50 (at least in my case). VERY annoying when you need to buy a few things for gunslingers, etc.

11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I've always been able to shop at 50. The cut off point is 69 MA btw. At 69 you can shop at any shop, but at 70 you cannot shop at inventors stores, junk stores or technologists stores.

12. JoeFro84

JoeFro84 New Member

Shady, you were saying that prowling helps the invisible stay undetected..if i have the invisibility spell wont that work perfectly at keeping me undetected? Putting points into PE and prowling will make it so i cant get much of a MA at all with the thief. Ive never played with invis, so i guess i could test it, but i would without testing be tempted to beleive that it would keep me totally hidden.

13. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

when i put my 3 points in persuasion and charisma it dropped me from tech 71, to tech 63... can anyone explain that? before that i had only put points in fire arms, electricity, dex, pe, and int...

why should neutral stats bring you down?

14. Canis

Canis New Member

Are you sure that's what happened? Did you wander into a magick zone, or mess with the character editor?

15. JoeFro84

JoeFro84 New Member

Just bumpin the message up..wanting still to know if prowl would be necessary since i plan on having invisibility...

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i'm not sure what a magic zone would be... i did a quest that brought some evil skeleton back to life... i forget his name but hes an npc that can become a follower, (i'm to righteuos to have him though...)

17. Canis

Canis New Member

There are certain areas of Tarant in which your tech/magick meter will rise or fall by, what, ten points I think. By the smithy and gunsmithy your TA will rise, and by the magick shoppes your MA will rise. It doesn't seem right that your TA should fall by putting points in persuasion (which I suppose is why you asked), so I was wondering if you were somehow mistaken about your absolute and relative TA, and, you know, stuff.

Our Host!