Question about the IFS Zephry

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by gargob, Jul 13, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Bertromitron

Bertromitron New Member

I always wondereda bout the size of Arcanum and if the entire world consisted of only one large land mass. But it seems that's the case since even though it makes sense that there should be other continents in the world u never hear mention of the names of any other major continent at any point in the game.

It could be that the Zephyr took off from some relatively remote location or just some field near a big city and the passengers told to go to that location for the takeoff. It doesn't necessarilly HAVE to take off from a big city. Hack, if Arcanum only had the towns u could visit in the game then it would be an quite an unpopulated and uncivilized world

2. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i wrote an entire paper on airships for my history class, trust me, my statement wasnt a question as to what the airship would be used for, i was just tring to point out the irony of the fact that they have all these means of transportation, and have been around for seemingly thousands of years, and they havent even ventured off their original coninent?

think about what the other continents might be like, no technology, there would be drragons and mystical creatures everywhere.

3. Luvian

Luvian New Member

It's only a little after the medieval era. Back then in the real world, we were barely aware of America. I could they know everything about their world already?

4. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I just remembered somethin. The airship was created by that guy in Caladon. I can't remember his name. The one with the shop on the outskirts of town that got trashed. So I would think it would take off from there or near there.

5. Luvian

Luvian New Member

You are right... I forgot and thought he was in Roseborough.

Replace what I said about Roseborough with Caladon.

6. Canis

Canis New Member

If you mean Hieronymous Maxim, he invented the aeroplanes which shot down the Zephyr, but he doesn't say anything about inventing the airship itself. The way the conversation goes I'd say that he positively didn't invent it.

I always thought the Zephyr had taken off on an airfield convenient to both Caladon (where lots of rich, potential passengers live, plus it's a major seaport so rich snobs from other areas could get there easily) and Roseborough (from where Stennar escaped from the Void, and then made his way to the Zephyr bound for an airfield near Vermillion Station).

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Yes I know the aeroplanes were invented there but I thought the zeppelin was as well. Ya know when you talk to the guy in the bar about the passport in Caladon I seem to remember him sayin somethin about telling the guys who beat him that the guy there in Caladon had created it. I could be wrong though. My memories kinda hazy on that.

8. Canis

Canis New Member

Hmm, I don't remember that conversation too clearly. You wouldn't happen to know the guy's name would you? I could look up the dialogue file instead of waiting until I have a character at that point in the game....

9. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Arg, no sorry. Mr. Razzia perhaps. Can't really remember. Maybe someone else does. The guy in the Sobbing Onion right before the trap door that leads down to where Virgil goes off to when he leaves ya.

10. LordCarlin

LordCarlin New Member

I seem to remember Teech Bate's ship captain and Franklin describing at least some locations that did not seem to be part of the Arcanum continent or the nearby islands. In any case, even if there are no other continents mentioned, it does not preclude additional continents being added in any future Arcanum sequel.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

Holy crap you're right, I'd totally forgotten about that whole conversation. Razzia says a) he made Stennar's passport, b) the Zephyr took off from Caladon, c) Maxim built the Zephyr, d) he sent the thugs to Maxim, where no doubt they roughed him up and stole his planes to catch up to the airship.

(Funny though, reading Maxim's dialogue you'd think he had nothing at all to do with the Zephyr. Oh well, I suppose he was more concerned about his planes and lost funding at the time.)

Ooooooo this has wonderful implications for my Elder Joachim/Molochean Hand conspiracy theory! Thanks Phoenix! :thumbup:

12. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

~bows~ I'm glad to be of service. I'm surprised I actually remembered that. I have a knack for obscure facts though.

13. Bertromitron

Bertromitron New Member

Uhh....I don't want to get into an arguement about the timeline of a vague fantasy world compared to the real world timeline, but it would be significantly after the "medieval era" in Arcanum(say a couple hundred years) if they have created a 20'th century invention like the blimp and the locomotive.....not to mention frickin' mechanical spiders and automatons!!!

But it's true they wouldn't know everything about their world, jus seems like the creators could have at least made some other continents mentioned in like a newspaper or some books, even though u as a player might not be able to visit them.

14. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The locomotive is an enlightment era invention, comming IIRC early in the 19th century, but I supose it could be late 18th. The Zepelin is late 19th as is the broom handle Mauser, the automobile (so why can't I buy a Bates Steamer?), & the Mechanical Arachnid (rent Wild Wild West). The Automation dates back to the 18th century, when one played chess. Really. O. K. not really played chess, that was a miget inside, but really existed & was believed.

Our Host!