Help making a character =p

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by NeoSargatanas, Jul 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

I still can't decide on a character. I've chosen a Dwarf (so that he can use Magnus' gauntlets) with 1 Melee, 1 Dodge, Healing Salve, and Charged Ring (with Electric Light, of course). From there I will save character points. I will eventually max Melee, Dodge, and Prowling...possibly Persuasion. I need a background for him, though. I was thinking of using Beat with an Ugly Stick, but then everybody hates me...Barbarian takes away Cha and Int, and I want to be able to talk to people =)

Any suggestions?

2. ralph

ralph New Member

maybe "raised by monks"

then you get +1 percepsion (i am not too good in english)

good luck with your new character...

3. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I don't know if I'd play a dwarf just to get them guantlets!

just play ugly stick and put a point in BE spell, and use it!

Don't rule out persuation get 3 ranks/expert as MIN.

Your gonna need followers so get CHA to 12

Why Prowling? You're gonna be armored and fail alot.

Then worry about STR and DEX

Off yah go!

Parmanian

4. xento

xento New Member

I suggest being a human mage and going far enough to max out dark and white necromancy, then go far enough to get the teleport spell, then switch and start raising skill for stuff like fighting and persuasion.

5. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

Thanks. I want a tech-oriented fighter, though...I also prefer having a small party, so that my team doesn't steal my kills =) Having 3 healers is nice with a fighter though...tell them to back off, and they focus on healing. I like Prowling, btw. Especially with an Elephant Gun ::bg::

6. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I just believe that if you want all the kills, you level up to fast for the areas you're playing. Like my first game as a human fighter, with only a couple of followers I was level 42 before I got to the BMC! because of exploring the map. Now I'm in the mines at 10 and have max followers and I just start the fights.

Its just how you wanna play the game. You can be anybody you want to be, play however you wanna play and roleplay to its max. You control the shots.

Parmanian

7. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

I know, but I want to be able to fight and be able to talk my way out of it. With 50+ character points total, I'll be able to, but not in the beginning. However, at level 42 in BMC...I'll have that ability. Must...kill...everyone...

8. xento

xento New Member

You really only need to hurry your persuasion skills enough to be able to...

SPOILER

....convince Loghare(sp?) to return to the Wheel Clan. After that you will need it as well. Before that, however, there really isn't much need, except if you want to do a few side quests on the Isle of Despair.

9. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

sounds like an easy char to play, but i dont think thats really what this guy is trying to go for with this char necessarily...

after he'd spent all those points on magic he'd have a lot less left for what he wanted to do with his original plan.

why not just just go all the way with electricity? tesla coils and healing jackets are aweseom

10. xento

xento New Member

Actually, he shouldn't go all the way with the Dark Necromancy. Only to Harm. The only spell you'll ever need! He can then advance White Necro and whatever the teleport one is on all the way, so he can ressurect people, and move around fast, and get some magical aptitude to make Harm more potent. It wouldn't take much if you picked a good background. He would probably have 20-30 points left for his own stuff.

11. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

yeah but being a dwarf mage......... we already got one in the game and look how he turns out! Jormond that is

Parmanian

12. xento

xento New Member

The problem is that there is a perminant con when doing that; you need double the fatigue to cast a spell; a normal 50 fatigue spell now costs 100 fatigue. It can be a big pain.

13. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I have to put all the blue bottles I get into jormonds inventory!

Parmanian

14. xento

xento New Member

Is that supposed to be a question?

If so, I don't think the con is the same for NPCs, but it is for PCs.

15. the_game_addict

the_game_addict New Member

if you really want that kind of a dwarf with prowling tech and social then i'd choose miracle op good int and ch for ya and pe.

16. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

Its just that everytime I look at Jormonds fatique, its always seems to be low.

Parmanian

17. xento

xento New Member

Well, I took him all the way to Kerghan and he fought just fine, with and without spells, but he never seems to run out of fatigue.

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

uhhhhh

you guys seem to be straying from the point...

i dont think he wants to make a dwarf mage, he just wants to focus on tech

neo, why dont you pick hyperactive as your background? you get a bonus to speed which is always useful, it might help alleviate the speed penalties dwarfs always have.

or if you plan on being a technologist type character just pick magick allergy, the only downside is you cant use enchanted items, but thats not the biggest deal, you can still use scrolls and potions etc, and you get a huge bonus to tech skills and it sounds like these gauntlets magnus has are pretty good for that already, so you might just wind up with one awesome tech oriented character!

plus if you want to max out prowl why dont you also max out firearms and gunsmithy? prowling with a big gun is a good way to get the drop on people. (they dont know anything is wrong and suddenly you're right there with a flamethrower killing everything... :thumbup:

just think of the possibilites 8)

19. NeoSargatanas

NeoSargatanas New Member

Thanks, that helped me a bit =)

I've decided to put that char on hold. He is somewhere between level 15 and 20, with 20 dex and Master Melee+Dodge. Currently I'm in the BMC.

Now I'm playing a Paladin. Full White Necro, max Persuasion, Charisma, Dex, Int, possibly Str. Background is Child of a Hero. I'm actually role-playing this time, so it's a bit more fun. When I finish, I'll continue with the dwarf. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Btw, the dwarf's background was Barbarian...I'll get Charisma later =)

Our Host!