Gothic II looks good

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Jun 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Gothic II is here (in the UK at least, dunno about fawreeen parts). I bought it today and on the strength of my 1 hour half-arsed assessment, I would say buy it if you are an RPG fan.

Milo and Jar, I have a strong feeling you will both like this game. Jinxed and Retard, I suspect you will also. Graphics are adequate rather than eye-popping but, hell, that's practically an endorsement these days.

I'll keep you posted - particularly if 10 days from now it's gone back to Game.

2. Milo

Milo New Member

I want to check this game out, but there's two things holding me back. List!

1. The controls from the first Gothic were pretty bad.
    2. The release date for the US version is all messed up. Some places say it's already released, and some say it won't be till October.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Don't know about your release dates, but the controls are okay. Cursor keys to move around, space to toggle combat mode, shift to run, alt to jump and ctrl for almost everythign else (actions as the game calls it). Not using the mouse makes my right hand itchy, but if I'm not finger deep in fumbling with it, noone else should be.

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Ok, I'll put it on my buy list pending a detailed review. I'm kind of down on gaming right now. The only thing that really catches my eye is The Longest Journey II that chalcedony mentioned in another thread.

But if this one's a good one, I'll try it. At the very least it's not just another D&D RPG.

5. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

:/
    The screens look good, people are comparing it to Morrowind, which is gooder.
    How are the combat controls? Do you look cool when killing stuff?

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Damn it, I've already got 10 or so games on my "To buy" list, don't make me add another Fatman! Besides, it isn't available here yet, and it's not known when it will be.

On another note, for those looking for a great game that's fast, fun and free, check out Soldat. That little baby rocks!

7. backstabber

backstabber New Member

not gooder, better.

8. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

Oh, really? :eek:

9. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Milo, here's an update for ya, in case you haven't heard about it already, which I'm sure you have, you computer geek, you.

Gothic II is available for sale in the U.S. through Gogamer.com.

Click these: (.) .) He he. Look lahk tits, don't thay? Heh, I like a good set uh tits.

Fatman, glad ta hear from you. What is this game like in comparison to Morrowind (which I have and played a little) in your opinion? Do you have any further reviews/news/rants for us on this game?

What little information I've found on the net has been fairly stimulating, in a non-sexual way. I just hope that Gothic II isn't quite so mind-boggling open and unlinear. What's your viewpoint?

Love,

Retard

10. Sheriff Fatman

After two nights of play, here are my list of Gothic Morrowindialities and Unmorrowindialities.

Morrowindiliaties
    --------------------------
    Perspective/Control - both games use a first-person view wherein you interact with the environment by looking at things and clicking

Skills - both have some interesting non-combat skills, including alchemy systems. Morrowind's is more diverse I believe, but I'm hoping Gotich 2 may make up for this by not having the skill system make the game hideously unbalanced.

Combat - both are real-time combat where moving your char performs moves with your weapon. Gothic 2 has a key improvement in that the combat is quite brief and fast paced enough to be scary.

Replayability: both games sold themselves on replayability. Gothic 2 won't be hard pushed to beat my Morrowind total of less than once through.

Unmorrowindialities
    -----------------------------
    Graphics: Morrowind's are stunning, Gothic's are adequate

Dialogue: Gothic 2 has a fairly standard rpg dialogue system, which we might call Fallout-esque or Baldurs-esque. This compares to Morrowind's gotta-click-em-all dialogue system which we might call Pokemon-esque or just grotesque.

Storyline: Morrowind's might be strong, it's hard to tell because it's so fractured. Gothic 2 has a clear, strong plot which offers direction without unreasonably constraining options (I hope! I still haven't persued it all that far).

And there you have my thoughts so far. Stay tuned for me eating my words in about 5 days when Gothic 2 turns out to be crap ;)

11. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Thank you, oh kindly, rotund one. It sounds better and better, especially the part about the strong story line. Morrowind just left me thinking, "WTF?" after I went to the first city outside of the starting point in the game. It was just too.......huge. And that was after an hour of play. It got shelved.

Anyway, keep us posted, and here's hoping you don't post back saying, "Um, guys? Nevermind. It's shit. I don't think you will though. Glad to see you are having maybe a wee more luck in staying interested in RPG's lately. :)

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Retard, you are a dirty, dirty, dirty young man. I sure hope your wife's tits are bigger than those ones.

I nearly did the same thing. Took me six hours to get my first level, after that it was smooth sailing though...somewhat. I really wish the game weren't so unbalanced in combat.

Fatman, your comparisons are hilarious, as usual. Please stay this time. I only have retard for regular company here, and he's getting dirtier and dirtier without mrnobodie and Milo to keep up the flow of smut. I think he's going to make a move on me any day now.

13. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

How big is Gothic II's world? Morrowind's was completely immersive and all - but enchanting items with 100 Jump just so you could get around? Amusing but crazy.

That's great! Is it more realistic, though? Don't understand how Bethsheda thought thrusting with an axe and chopping with a dagger was funny, as well as having all the spells use the same animation...

14. Sheriff Fatman

The world seems pretty big, although I obviously haven't explored it's extents yet. Walking around feels kind of like Fallout - schlepping across town is a bit of a pain - but it isn't like Morrowind where you have to walk for 5 minutes between minor actions and 30 minutes for anything major.

Combat is more realistic in that I get killed a lot by wolves and things, just like I would in real life if I waved a rusty sword at them. Other than that, I'm probably better qualified to judge fun levels than realism. It is kind of fun in that there are a few moves you can learn but mainly you just panic and mash the keys. It gets your heart racing and because it is brief it doesn't take up 90% of game time like it does in many CRPGs.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'll be reading reviews then, and making my mind up after that. I never played the first Gothic, and it sounded like an interesting - if somewhat cramped/limited - concept and gameworld.

On another note, IGN has a terrible preview up of OMF:Battlegrounds. The previewer spends more time going on about the threat of giant robots, and constantly changing his opinion on which games this is most similar to, without actually talking about the things that matter.

16. woolviegirl

woolviegirl New Member

:thumbdown: Hated gothic 1- controls were so bad but its just personal prefrence- i prefer to use my mouse because i cant type without looking at the keyboard :( which makes playing the keyboard control games out for me- cant see when i die if im looking for my shift alt control keys!!!

17. gamenut

gamenut New Member

i stopped looking at the keyboard a long time ago. now,i just guess where the button is.

18. Xan Emrys

Xan Emrys New Member

Harr harr harr

Doesn't everyone make moves on you, Jarinor?

HA! Try to read THAT, Retard that is called Retard!

Xan that is called Xan

19. gamenut

gamenut New Member

that's easy to read. just press the quote button. anyway, back on topic. I'm installing gothic 2 right now. be back in a few days to tell you if it's worth the money...

Our Host!