Really roleplaying?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by -WhiteDog-, Jun 26, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. -WhiteDog-

-WhiteDog- New Member

Are u guys really roleplaying? Like carrying around with pocket-watches, wearing nice-looking shoes even though they suck?

I got really inspired when looking at "A Vampires Confessions" or something like that...the one with Brad Pitt...anyways...I wanted to make a nice-dressing vampire. So I bought a Top Hat, Nice shoes, Pocket Watch, Smoking Jacket and so on.. It's really fun to be able to make very different characters. To really Roleplay..You Know?

1.Have you made anything like this? What were your chars like?

2. Can one finish the game almost without fights? I'm planning a buissnies(?)-gnome, high persuasion, gamling, haggle and so on.. And I want to try to finish the game with as few fights possible. Is it worth trying?

And I really like arcanums Roleplaying-abilities!! I've allready planned some chars' ahead!

2. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

have fun not having any fights!

Wait till ashbury when they don't care WHO you are, they'll attack you!

Lets us ALL know how many fight you DON't get into!

Parmanian

3. -WhiteDog-

-WhiteDog- New Member

What problems have you experienced in Ashbury?

4. Canis

Canis New Member

Well, for starters there's the crazed halfling who'll attack you completely out of the blue.... But I suppose you could stun him and run away if that's your thing.

5. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

and there is a couple of houses you better not go into even though the doors are unlocked!

I wonder how yah gonna get by the zombies to get the gem!

Just a couple encounters you'll run into!

Parmanian

6. twitchy6181

twitchy6181 New Member

It seems to me that the easiest way to level up is by fighting. It would take a long time to get anywhere in Arcanum without combat, although I've never really tried it. Good luck!! An make sure to let us know how far you get without conflct!

7. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

my groups level 41 now and I let my guys/gals do all the fighting I just watch!

Parmanian

8. -WhiteDog-

-WhiteDog- New Member

Never met the crazed halfling... One can skip some of the missions that have to be solved through combat. But I don't understand why everybody seems to get upset when a player want to minimize the fights in a roleplaying purpose. It is a CRPG u know..

Check out question number one then..If I am allowed to ask such a non-powergamish-question?

9. Victor Eremita

Victor Eremita New Member

I don't think it's possible to beat the game without fighting... some of the main quests involve a lot of hand to hand.
    There's nothing wrong with role-paying, a character like yours would simply have to depend on followers to do the fighting...

Actually, it's "Interview With The Vampire"...

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

All my PCs get dressed for town or dungeon. There are town clothes & social jewelery, then there is armor & combat jewelery.

A prissy 1/2 Orc Debutant diplomat / gunslinger. A spoiled brat 1/2 Elf, a few proud mage girls, a handful of Halfling thieves of various personalities, a few Bandits, uh... there is more.

Sanctuary or Invisibily. I do keep wondering if Controll Beast will get the warehouse & the farmer's field clear of pests. Oh, if you try to pickpocked the undead while protected by Sanctuary, & they catch you, it doesn't help any more.

11. -WhiteDog-

-WhiteDog- New Member

Actually I said "...almost any fights."

Thanks. I only knew the swedish title of the movie, and you know how the translations of titles are.

12. -WhiteDog-

-WhiteDog- New Member

Thanks for the tips!

13. Myrdyr

Myrdyr New Member

He's a pickpocket. If you catch him trying to pickpocket you (or your followers?) he attacks. There a number of such characters in Tarant. Elsewhere?

14. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Of course, you could also really up the sneak skill. I have never tried this but I would think that if you had a really high sneak skill that you would be able to walk past alot of the enemies. This might not fit your character if you are goin for a diplomat though.

15. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

myrdyr

I really don't think this guy is a pickpocket! He just goes after you!

All the times I have played, I have never been tryed to be picked!

Parmanian

16. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

You might actually not notice that you have been pickpocketed. It is just a little message that pops up in the box at the bottom of the screen when you open your inventory. Don't know about the crazed halfling, never been attacked by it.

17. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I must move around too fast and never stay in one place long enough or around crowds.

I'm gonna try some areas of tarant and see if I can catch one of those suckers.

I wonder if its controlled by low PE scores.

Parmanian

18. Canis

Canis New Member

I once read that it's based on intelligence, but I don't know if it's true. Though it does seem that my idiots get pickpocketed more often than my average or genius characters.

19. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I've been standing by the master pickpocket guy and he doesn't budge. Must be the 10 followers I got he doesn't want to get whacked!

Parmanian

20. Canis

Canis New Member

I've never seen Sammy White go for me either. Try the little Thieves Guild woman at the train station.

Oh, and I really don't think the Crazed Halfling of Ashbury is a pickpocket. He's just a crazed halfling. There's some theory out about how passing by one of his wander points might set him off, but I don't know how much research has really gone into the matter.

Our Host!