That shop inventory hack doesn't work.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bonnie, Sep 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Bonnie

Bonnie New Member

I need a spade to complete a quest and I know for a fact that the junk dealer at the Tarant docks was selling one. So I go back to Tarant but he no longer has it for sale. I got the shop inventory hack but it hasn't changed a thing. So does anyone here know what I am doing wrong? It doesn't change the contents of other shops either - such as the wise woman in Shrouded Hills - She was selling a small robe of the chameleon, yet when I go back there with Jormund the dwarven mage in my party, she no longer has them for sale, so he is stuck wearing his cheap robes at the moment. Damn!!!

2. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

When you say 'Spade' do you mean 'Shovel'?
    Junk dealers have a 70% chance of carrying shovels and general stores have a 50% chance.
    The general store in Tarant always seems to have one in stock.
    Also, a little tip, stores get new shipments every night around midnight, but you need to be several screens away from the store for their inventories to update, otherwise if youre waiting out front, you'll keep finding the same old merchandise from the day before.

3. Bonnie

Bonnie New Member

Yes I ment the shovel. Spade, shovel, both are used to dig. :smile:

Anyway, the reason I got that shopkeeper hack was so I wouldn't have to keep advancing the time of day just to see if the shops have got anything new! Its especially annoying as my character has just got the teleportation spell, so is at the moment, just telepoting to every town without any loss of time. Whee!

4. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Lol! Beware of hacks they may befuddle your game.
    I'm a level 16 Gnome, think the most useful spell I have is 'entangle'. Unfortunately, from the start, I didn't bother to focus on any one skill, tech or magic. I know a little bit of everything, but expert or master at nothing, thus making it somewhat difficult to progress through Arcanum.

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

How do you know this stuff?

6. Acacia22

Acacia22 New Member

Friend,
    Ha ha! I've got a dirty little secret! I have the Prima strategy guide! =D

7. Krull

Krull New Member

I also get frustrated about advancing to the next mroning to get a certain item.

Now this is going to be a stupid question but it says to download the shop inventory hack to the data/rules directory. Snag is the 'data' folder hasn't got a rules folder, all it has are 'players' and 'proto' folders. I've checked the properties and all files are listed as being shown.

What am I doing wrong and, am I wasting my time if the hack isn't working?

Thanks for any advice.

8. Arnok

Arnok New Member

It says you need to put it in the datarules folder.I looked through all the folders in the sierra directory but didnt see anything like that.Do you need to create a folder called datarules?

9. Bonnie

Bonnie New Member

I just created my own rules folder for it - perhaps thats where I am going wrong? Grr... I need that shovel! Plus I need those damned small robes for Jormund! I have teleported to every place in Arcanum for those items but with no luck - I even resorted to advancing the time to one day ahead in each city but still no change! ARGH!

10. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Yeah, as stated from your other post.

11. Reo

Reo New Member

Calis, anymore more info on this?

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy New Member

hmmm, I know calis said he made a mistake...but maybe he didn't! Did you guys check the modulesarcanumrules directory? Is there one? Take a look...maybe that really IS where you are supposed to put it. Just a thought.

13. Krull

Krull New Member

Tommyboy

No such folder as Modules/Arcanum/Rules either.

In fact, I've checked all the folders.

14. Arnok

Arnok New Member

Figured it out

If you dont have a rules folder make one under the sierraarcanumdata folder.Then put the hack file in the rules folder.When you get in game, sleep until morning and the stores should be totally stocked.I tried a couple of stores and they had all the schematics and everything.Hope everybody has success with this :smile:

15. Reo

Reo New Member

Yes, had some time to test it. What the hack does is instead of having to speed time over and over again, you just have to do it once, then all the shopkeepers of that town will have everything they can possibly sell for sale.

16. Bonnie

Bonnie New Member

I got it to work! Thanks for the replies, people. I had to create a rules folder, now I have that shovel, the robes for Jormund and I even got rather nifty plate armor for Magnus too, an item I had not encountered before! GREAT!

17. Krull

Krull New Member

Sorry to be a nuisance but still can't get it to work. I created a rules folder as specified in this post, and then opened the hack file and saved it without changing the file name into the rules folder. I checked it's properties and the name is something like invensource_mes. I noticed it's shown as a htm file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

18. Arnok

Arnok New Member

For Krull

Instead of clicking on the file and then saving,which I believe opens the file,just right click on it and choose save as target.
    Then put it in the sierraarcanumdatarules folder.Hope this helps :smile:

19. Greenleaf The Summoner

Greenleaf The Summoner New Member

Is the store hack bugged? All the other shops had all the items, but the wise woman (the one who identifies) had only potions? In tarant

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greenleaf The Summoner on 2001-09-13 13:40 ]</font>

20. BlueDEvil

BlueDEvil New Member

Well, it works fine for me, but I couldn't find any new schematics for therapeutics. I'm sure there are at least 4 of them. The Gypsy has all the arcane stuff in the game.

Our Host!