New rifle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Qilikatal, Jun 13, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

My brother just bought himself a new rifle, a sweet winchester classic stainless model 70. Bolt action.

Got a nice link here, is she not sweet?

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo ... 2&cat=001C

I just hope some foxes will try to run past our house in the close future cause the i will sterilise them.

He has put a nice shirstone scope on top.

BTW post your favorite weapon here.

2. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

3. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I am a hunter who uses the game I kill for food, when I meet people who kill just for the sake of killing or to "try out" a new weapon it pisses me off.

Unless the fox in your area are posing a threat to your livestock, person, or family I think it's bullshit to take pot shots at them.

4. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Finally a hunter with some sense!!

I didn't think those existed anymore. I'm 99.9% certain they don't exist around here, anyway. Of course, when I voice that opinion, I usually get labeled a bleeding heart. Mostly because I don't hunt. Not for any aversion to it, but because I don't have anyone to mentor me. I know some basics of tracking, but I don't know the subtlties. Like how to clean/skin a carcass, et al.
    I see it this way: There's enough 'untrained' hunters out there allready; I refuse to add to that statistic. It sickens me to no end these rednecks that traipse through the woods here taking potshots at anything that moves. The first moron that shoots my dog had better shoot me too. And make sure I'm dead. Cuz if I survive, that body will never be found.

Those who hunt for food are hunters. Those who hunt for sport are murderers, IMHO.

I have no problem with hunting, but eat what you kill for crissakes!

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm not a fan of hunting at all. I'd be one of the last people to be accused of being a bleeding heart, but I can't stand animals being killed, for sport and/or fun especially. Hunting is an excess - abbatoirs and butchers exist so that you don't have to do it yourself. Any animals that you kill for food is totally unnecessary. Doesn't stop me eating meat though :D.

Of course, killing pests is okay. Some species need to be wiped out of certain areas - like cane toads that are spreading through all of Australia.

6. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

1. There is too many foxes in our region.

2. I allways i eat what i kill exept of foxes or other preadator animals.

3. Going hunting is fun, even though you don't get anything the trip is usually worth it. Hunting is also a good way regulating certain animal populations so they are not threats to humans or livestock or, so they do not destroy each other.

7. bottledbubbles

bottledbubbles New Member

I'm not a big fan of hunting, but I have nothing against doing so if you do eat what you kill... Mmm, deermeat...

Back to the topic, my favorite weapons are ornate swords and daggers, things like that. I'm not much of a gun person, really.

8. gamenut

gamenut New Member

i'm more into old medieval guns... they're just... cooler.

9. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Maybe. But if you hunt it yourself, butcher it yourself, and freeze it yourself; at least you know how many people have errmm...handled your meat., and exactly what's been done to it. I don't often trust high volume butchers and the like. For example, I'd rather catch my own seafood than buy it from a market...I know how long it's been sitting around from the time it's pulled out of the water to the time it's served as a meal.

I don't like killing anything needlessly, much less animals. People...well...I'd be more likely to shoot a person than an animal. Animals pass no judgments, but I'm well aware of the fact that one needs to eat, and us humans are designed to eat meat.

Overpopulation? 90% of the time animal overpopulation is a result of mankind's meddling. Nature finds a way. If there's a gazillion idiots out there shooting foxes, well the mother foxes will spawn more kits. Or perhaps mankind in its infinite wisdom has wiped out the foxes predators or competitors. Or maybe they've been transplanted from elsewhere.

Besides. Humankind is overpopulated too. Should we go out and hunt them as well? After all, we're only animals.

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

TairNean, you obviously don't know me well enough. Of course humans have overpopulated the Earth. I think it would be a great idea to cut down the number of people to a certain amount per square kilometre, or whatever measurement you'd prefer. I reckon that a population of about 3 to 4 billion total would be supportable by the Earth for many years. So, places like New York and London would be hit heavily, and Australia wouldn't. Isn't that a happy coincidence?

On another note, I'm not a greenie, but fucking up the Earth in the name of money is one of my pet hates. Maybe this attitude comes from having read Ben Elton's fantastic book Stark, but still, why bite the hand that feeds you? It's just going to slap your bitch ass down in the end.

11. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

So what you say is that you value an animal life more than a human life. Great ideolgi there.

Foxes does not make any more children even though the population is low, there is a larger chance that they will grow to live, but there will be no more kits in each batch for every year.

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hey, I value animal life more than human life. What makes us so special that we should be given special consideration, and that animals should somehow die in great numbers to make way for us?

You're not even taking into account that people manage to corrupt everything they do eventually. Animals at least survived for millions of years without ruining half the planet. We've managed to fuck up an incredible number of things since started getting our shit together as a species...

13. Morden279

Morden279 New Member

Bah! Why buy a Winchester Model 70 when you could own the greatest bolt-action rifle of all time; the Lee-Enfield (SMLE)?

Regards,
    Morden

14. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

If i gave you an option where you had to shot either an animal or a human, you would most likely shoot the animal. I don't think you would have the guts to kill the human instead, though who knows there are freak in this world.

Also i don't think you really meant what you said about valuing animals more than humans, since you, as you allready said, eat meat. I presume it is not human meat you are eating, right?

So does the animals, they kill to much so they don't get any prey then they die because of it. They overpopulate all the time then they die ect ect. yes humans introduce new species, but that happens all the time naturally too. The mayor difference is that humans can figureout hat they do wrong, and stop it.

Our Host!