getting chukka!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Parmanian, May 26, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

OK what am I missing this time? I usually have no trouble getting chukka away from bates, but in this game after exploring the mines, bates wouldn't offer me chukka.

So i'm wondering if you have to have a slot available for chukka to join.

Gonna reload and kill some monsters and get charisma to 16 for 5th slot then go talk to bates.........

Parmanian

2. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Chukka is not a free follower, you must have a place for him, but if you don't, Bates will still offer him to you. As far as I could figure out, in order to get Chukka you have to be level 15 or higher (because Chukka is level 16), complete the Black Mountain quest and have 2 or 3 points in persuasion.

3. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

yep thats what I thought.... i'm lvl 18 expert in persuation but I don't have the slot available yet. I'm gonna go back in the game and have somebody wait while I give bates the news about bmc and then see if he offers chukka. If he does, then we must assume that a slot gotta be open.

Parmanian

4. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

Thats it, you have to have that open slot before he offers chukka......

Now what a bummer for someone playing that hasn't been to the forum to find out these invaluable hints.....hehehehehe

just keep informing

Parmanian said that

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

With CH 12 or better, Chukka will be offered. With CH < 12, he won't.

6. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

yeah, but I needed the 6 (5+dog) followers which comes in at charisma 16.

Parmanian

7. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

now im not sure if this is right but if it is it will solve your problem...

you cannot use persuasion to get past the guard to bates' mansion, because you dont get to ask about the recent attempt on GB's life. if im right you have to do that and then ask bates about it, then about chukka. that way he will follow you after the BMM. another way is to cast dominate will and then reflection shield, cancel the dominate will then the shield (only to be done at high level because the guards can kick ass)

8. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

I have been using the tunnel to get the fate point to see bates. But shadygrove says that all you have to do is get in to see bates through the front door then go down the hatch and back up to get the fate point.

I haven't tried that one yet but the one I'm gonna try is to accept applebys quest to kill the steam engine and then not do it. That way I can tell the guard of the sabatoge and get to see bates that way.

I can always talk to appleby later when I have bates journal for bait.

Parmanian

9. verminator_666

1) the method shadygrove mentioned works
    2) you cant even talk to cedric appelby if you rat him out or accept to work for bates.

10. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

thats right....you talk to appleby first and accept to kill the steam engine, just kill the thugs at midnight and go back to appleby...boy does he get mad. then go rat him out to bates to gain entrance. If you get bates's journal...appleby will then talk to you.

BUT you can't talk to bates after that so you have to finish all bates quests first. I guess I have to bump bates off before I sell appleby the journal. Then go buy the mansion.

I hope all those house servants arn't making minimum wage......hehehehe

Parmanian

11. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

If you rat out Appleby to Bates, you don't get to talk to him ever again. Someone "removes" the problem for Bates. If you work for Bates, & then steal his journal, Appleby will talk to you, at least long enough to buy the thing.

12. Parmanian

Parmanian New Member

so then you have to persuade your way in to see bates then huh?

I don't mind the tunnel that much because magnus makes some good trap springers!

Parmanian

13. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Well, that is one way. There is also; a fight, a sneak, a ruse, & just ignoring him & stealing his journal.

That's the sneak. My comment on trap springers is on an eariler post today.

14. Deathmage

Deathmage New Member

There is one thing to watch out when working for Bates and Appleby. Be sure to give Bate's journal to Cedric only after you have finished all of Bate's quests. Today, I sold his journal before going to the Isle of Despair. Bad choice. Now Captain Teach wouldn't offer me passage to the Isle of Despair, the conversation just doesn't pop up. And I have even talked to Bate's spirit and asked him how to go there.

15. verminator_666

16. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Our Host!