arcanum 2's graphics

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by mihawk85, Dec 25, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Phisch

Phisch New Member

2D 3D

I guess we'll agree to disagree then, I have always hated 2D graphics since I started 3D animation at the ripe old age of fourteen. Arcanum's graphics didn't help it's commercial sales or it's immersive nature, it was the new concept of an "industrial revolution meets Tolkein" world that made it the great game that it was. I will say that the more I look at the Aurora engine, the more I like it. Cross that with a fantastic world like Arcanum and you have a fantastic game.

2. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

That would be quite a game but I do not think it would still be Arcanum. I would prefer if they just enhanced the 2-D graphics. Don't get me wrong: 3-D graphics are quite impressive at times. But it just wouldn't fit with Arcanum.

3. cadaver

cadaver New Member

well some prefer 3d some 2d but for an rpg I prefer 2d olso but how about a combination of it
    2d but u can look in four ways, you are only alloud to change 90 degrees if u turn. :-?
    or is that 3d :oops:

4. Phisch

Phisch New Member

Hmm

Of course a third option is 3D characters on a hand-painted background, that way you can have the superior detail of 3D people and animals with the atmosphere of a hand-painted 2D background. While it does limit you to a specific view (usually isometric) it does give you vastly superior player animations and lighting added to the "warmth" of a well-crafted 2D backdrop, and scrolling around just isn't that important.

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

A 3d Arcanum? Don't even go there... The sole reason I got interested in Arcanum was that someone told me: "It was made by the same folks that made fallout" What I loved in fallout was the 2d engine...
    And the graphics stink in nwn.

6. JC_ofthe_P5

JC_ofthe_P5 New Member

Keep the 2D

Yeah, I definitely think they should keep the graphics in Arcanum 1. I didn't like the graphics in warcraft three at all, Arcanum should stay away from that. The 3D graphics all look so unproportionate and ridgity, they should keep 2D until the 3D is perfected.

7. Phatose

Phatose New Member

Anyone ever play Revenant? I think that would be a good way to do Arcanum 2's graphic - keeping the best bits of 3d, allowing for the greater flexibility and lack of prerendering that 3d models allows, while still being locked into the isometric perspective which is 2-d's best aspect. I'd really really hate to see fps 3-d or swinging, vampire:redemption 3-d camera work, which adds very little to immersion, while making the game extraordinairly cumbersome to play.

I imagine to most 2-d gamers, 2-d means overhead, isometric perspective, not neccessairly no-rendered polygons. And it's the perspective that's important, entirely too many games touting '3-d' have been ruined by camerawork best described as 'poorly though out'. You should NOT have to fight with the camera to be able to figure out what's going on. Probably why I'll never enjoy a 3-d zelda. ah well.

8. cadaver

cadaver New Member

I thougd it is said before, but how about a 2D background (drawn perhaps, just like arcanum1) but with the 3d characters for the detail, and more things are possible this way, just more deathanims, more types clothing, more details (rings visible). just my 2 cents

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My thoughts:

Arcanum 2 (if it is released, which I hear talk it won't be) will be 2d. Why? Because a lot of Arcanum players probably have sucky video cards (Me, for instance) and are relieved that it's not 3d. Also, if it's 3d, it may take fun out of the game. They'd have to spend more time on getting graphics 3d then adding to the storyline. I vote for 2d.

10. Draconix

Draconix New Member

I know this is little off the topic....but who has played Final Fantasy X? is that 3d and 2d combined? now if arcanum had THAT kind of graphics....now that would be sweeeeeet.

11. backstabber

backstabber New Member

neverwinter type of graphic should be enough, for me

12. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Doesn't matter to me as long as they create another great story-line.

13. cadaver

cadaver New Member

yep even with the same 'old' graphics I will buy arcanum2. but I prefer 3d characters (not background and so on)

14. viljo667

viljo667 New Member

Mihawk85 wrote:i think the more time they'll spend on the 3d engine, the less they'll have to dedicate to other parts...

Let's compare Arcanum and Morrowind.

Graphics:
    In arcanum, the graphics are nothing special, but in morrowind, i think that every player's first reaction was like: "Whoa! I've never seen anything as beatiful as this in a game ever before."

But then again, in arcanum there is lots of dialog, the most exiting main plot I've ever seen and lots of side quests and mysteries. In morrowind, there is not even real dialog, and there is so little to do in that massive world, so all my friends and I got bored in about two weeks.

So if you ask me, I prefer shitty graphics and an exellent game, than beatifully rendered 3d graphics and a boring game.

Let's stick to 2d shall we.

15. cadaver

cadaver New Member

ps pretty graphics don't make a game, just think of it 10 years ago where ALL GAMES 2d and where they addictive some indeed, yes.
    but now its all about the beaty of the game not the hours of fun we gamers have or the original type of game
    (remembers carmaggeddon, ugly but addictive and original)
    thank god there are still some makers who create nice games such as arcanum

16. verminator_666

verminator_666 New Member

ive only ever known one game where there has been a successful change to 3D, and that is GTA3, it would ruin arcanum.

nuff said

17. Langolier

Langolier Member

I think someone already said this, but used a more technical term.
    They could do something like they did the the PS1 final fantasy's. 3D characters, but mostly pre-rendered back grounds. Or something like that. On the other hand, I can see the game in full 3D without too many poblems. Someone mentioned how well GTA transitioned into 3D, that gives me an idea. Maybe gameplay wouldnt be so different if they did arcanum. You would move around in comlete freedom like in GTA3, but still have the whole level element. Perception, affects how well your aim is when using guns and bows, determines ur chances of seeing a trap on the ground. Speed, determines how fast you run and how fast you use certain weapons. You still have HP, and can go into turnbased combat or realtime combat, theres really no difference. When you go into combat mode, your character autmatically targets the nearest enemie, or what is percieved to be the most dangourous. Now I know that being able to manually choose your target is part of the fun and can be a critical part in any fighting stratagey. They are doing something similar to this in Starwars Galaxies I think. I dont know if I will get that game, but from what I have seen it looks great, and from what I've read about the gameplay, it still has a stong RPG element.
    Opinions on my idea?
    Did that long post make any sense?

18. cadaver

cadaver New Member

yes it make sense.
    ps now you have mentioned gta3, yes i think 3d CAN be done (I wont say it must) and by the time they have finished, the pc is a lot faster (some1 said for every year it doubles the speed, don't know this for sure)

19. Kilo24

Kilo24 New Member

I think it would be good for Arcanum to go 3d (real 3d, not like Neverwinter Nights) especially if its done something like Morrowind. It will help get people interested on sight. But its no substitute for gameplay.
    Morrowind is a beautiful game. However, it is shallow, except for a few things like enchanting and spellmaking.
    Neverwinter Nights has 3D graphics on par with Arcanum, and some really puny dragons. It is very shallow (and relies on rules created for human calculations, not taking advantage of a computer), except for a few good fan-created modules and Witch's Wake.
    Arcanum is between ugly and decent graphics that still get their job done. It is a very interesting game, with unique quests, many decisions, and the greatest ending sequence I've ever seen. Its problem is that it never got in with the hype or the graphics, so its still relatively unknown.
    Personally, I don't care much about the graphics after couple days of playing the game, because I'm used to them. They're only useful in screenshots or hype generation. The gameplay is what keeps me playing. If 3D movement is implemented in the sequel and aids the gameplay, then I'd welcome it. If 3D graphics are implemented in the sequel and simply detract from the graphic quality and add to the development time of it, well, that's bad.

20. King_Natstar

King_Natstar New Member

Warcarft3 used 3d graphics to good effect and it looks a lot better than warcraft2 graphics which are 2d.

But 2d is better for roleplaying and adventuring games like arcanum

2d and 3d are better at different types of games.
    2d is not better than 3d and 3d is not better than 2d it is how you use them that counts!!! :)

Our Host!