IMPORTANT, MOD RECRUITMENT HERE !!!

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by VerZreV, Apr 26, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

WE WANT YOU !!!
    (To be a part of this)

Me, VerZreV, and my esteemed colleague, Draconix,
    has recently made up our mind about making a mod for Arcanum…
    If it could be done, it should damn well be done properly !!!

To make a long story short, we did not want to
    wait any longer for the sequel to neither Fallout nor Arcanum,
    so we took matters into our own hands and decided to make
    our OWN sequel…

“Rubbish” You say? “Can’t be done” you say? Sorry to tell you then…
    It CAN be done, and if we get enough helping hands, it WILL be!

As this is a project of extreme magnitude,
    and as only the basics of the story and graphics is in place,
    we will have several spaces open, for both storywriters and animators… Everybody can contribute art, files and titbits…
    which may or may not be used…

To help us, you do NOT have to have any previous experience with modding, and nothing is required besides a way of communicating between yourself and us (We suggest Yahoo or MSN messenger: Yahoo, search for verzrev. MSN: Jarlkaas@hotmail.com )… All we ask is that you do your best, and that you send the results to us…

It is urgent that we find someone to make and new intro (This does NOT have to be on the same scale as Arcanum), and someone to make new loadingscreens…

So if you think your great writing skills would be gods gift to us, or if you just think very highly about yourself, show us you want your name in the credits !!! Be a man/woman !, help bring the mod on the road…

Yours truly,

VerZreV & Draconix, Chairmen of “Blackout Mods”

Contact us on Jarlkaas@hotmail.com, If you want to know more about the project…

2. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

Sorry, all that computer wizardry and scientology is just beyond me and my pretty little head. But if you boys want ginger snaps and lemonade while you're hard at work, I'm happy to provide. But please keep that Bobby Fisher away from Mummy's still.

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

I could point out that this really belongs in the Mods section of the forum, but I also can't do anything about it besides pointing it out and hope Jinxed notices it and moves it.

4. xento

xento New Member

Well, I would be happy to help in any way I can. I'm not much with mods, and I'm not too great with much else, but I can do some 3d rendering, some graphics stuff, and I can do some module creation. I'll just have to wait to see what you want me to do.

I added you to my msn contact list.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well I have zero knowledge in computers, but I could help with the story part, generating ideas and so on. I even have a certain idea in mind already. I just need to know what you already have come to.

6. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

Nice to see some energetic people… If you would be so kind as to write to my mail, I will tell you about the story, and thus, keeping the secret for those not involved

And Oct, there BETTER be cakes when we're done !!!

7. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

Sure, honey.

*Adjusts his piny and scampers off to the kitchen humming the latest teeny-bopper classics*

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, there's a problem with Arcanum modules...they expand in size quickly, so unless you've all got fast net connections with very generous limits, then pretty much one person is going to be doing all the mapping, and you're going to need great co-ordination and detailed documentation, so that whoevers doing the scripting and conversations use the same names, references and whatnot, unless you want to leave it all up to the mapper to do it all, because hey, he's the one who'll be assigning names and scripts.

9. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Without trying to piss on your dreams... actually, maybe I am? Anyway, can you say: Management Issues.

Best advice: Establish a web-site with php support. Setup your own hidden forums and use them as your chat point, not e-mail or MSN. As you please you can interview new recruits in the public part of the forum, while discussing storyline and what-not in the private parts of the forum. Then use MSN and IRC programs to chat in real-time about the things you can't solve in the forums.

10. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

Way ahead of you DU, the website will be up and runníng shortly... With both hidden and puplic forums...

11. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

So, the board is up and running, with Xento as the moderator...

Go there, or be square

Or not... An exercise in freedom...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/arcout/phpBB/index.php

Note: It might seem bare at the moment, but Xento is working hard on a nice layout...

12. Canis

Canis New Member

I've just lost whatever bit of faith I may have had in this project.

Oh, I mean, good luck kiddos. :thumbup:

Don't mind me. I'm square.

13. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Used my mod powers to kick this over here. (Where it belongs) Yay me! That's two times in one day!

14. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I agree with Canis. However, if you need someone with Mad Skillz, that would be me.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well, we certainly would be happy if your mad skillz could be used for good, i.e in our mod business

Xento will make a good moderator, i'm sure of that, and should all else fail, i'm there to wack thing back in line...

After all, i have been watching Jinxed's mad moderator skills the three few weeks, so it can't go completly wrong...

VerZreV

16. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

HELLLO !!!

Sorry for the last post... he he.. forgot to log in... eh, won't happen again though...

The offer still stands !, we have more members now, but we still want more !!!!

VerZreV, spiritual leader of the Blackout Mod Group, and the inventor of the SMBAISY system

17. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

18. Draconix

Draconix New Member

19. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

Well, this thread has died violently after it was moved, but it's still here !, Blackout mods are working and we need members... can't be that hard to get people eh ?...

And maybe i should say this again: We make mods for ALL games, our present project is Arcanum.
    So if we get a good idea in, or someone has a mod they would like help with... Join/contact/try blackout mods !!!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/arcout/index.htm

E-mail: Jarlkaas@hotmail.com

20. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

See, management issues again. You're already having troubles getting people onboard, your forums seem to be as buggy as hell and to add to that, you want to work on more than one project. You've already got about 4 mods on your "to do next" list. Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

Management issues.

You might want to do what I did and look into some of the modding projects for other games that have failed. There's been a tonne of them for every game out there. From your FPS failures for Half-life and Quake, right through to failed RPG ideas. Take a look at them and try to figure out why they failed. Lack of focus. Lack of clear plan. Lack of any idea of what they were actually doing. Any focus that they did have was usually on the wrong areas. Usually along the lines of "Hey I had a really cool 3d intro movie idea!!" rather than working on the things that are not only more important, but more likely to happen, such as level design, story development and scripting.

They also suffered from a lack of realising their limitations. They usually want to "change the whole game" that they're modding, without any real clue as to how exactly they're going to do that. "Let's put in new textures and backgrounds" when there are no tools to do so, "let's throw in cool new monsters OMG" when they have no way of doing so. Stick to what you CAN mod, and forget about what you can't.

Finally, the one key thing that ALL of the failed projects was, was the lack of people who knew what they were doing. IE: They wanted to mod a certain game, but didn't know how to do it, or even how to start. As a result, their forums are filled with inane useless questions about "how do I do this?" that nobody on the team had a CLUE how to answer. Because of this, the story ideas and quests that they did develop had no chance of ever getting made as they had no idea on how to actually implement those ideas into the game.

Management issues.

Our Host!