Greyhawk Trailer: Troika's Next Offering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

From the team that brought us all Arcanum, check out the trailer that was released for Greyhawk. Download it from duckandcover.net here (right click, save as).

Pretty darned nifty, hey? Perhaps Terra-Arcanum has found a new purpose? A general Troika game site? It'd being a new influx of people and who could then try out Arcanum. It'd also stop the die-off of a good site (could use an overhaul though...).

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I downloaded it some time ago...

It looks pretty good, but that's not why I'm interested in it. It's the game chemistry.

DU, I'm pretty much the only staff member working at T-A, unfortunately, Calis is passing up the site over to me because he doesn't have time to stay in touch with the community nowadays. So...

To tell you the truth, I've been considering this for some time now...

click!

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, I got it from Gamers Hell before it was taken down. I just have one thing to say apart from it all looks good...

Legal Goes Here

:)

4. xento

xento New Member

I'm quite anxious for it to come out. I hope they do as good as they did with Arcanum and, hopefully, better.

5. Drugar

Drugar New Member

*watches Trailer*

Oh I like. I like very very much.
    Though....3.5 Ed? I know and played 3rd Ed, but wtf is 3.5?

6. Thalion

Thalion New Member

I read an interview about it recently. It seems interesting, but I don't know... I would have liked to see a second Arcanum game rather than a Dungeons and Dragons one.

Doesn't it have turn-based combat? And I read that the level cap will be set at only level ten. :O

*Shuts up and watches trailer*

Well, graphics look dazzling, but I'm still kind of worried about the gameplay.

7. Canis

Canis New Member

I'm more worried about the D&D setting than the gameplay. I am sick, sick, SICK TO DEATH of D&D. Hate static alignment, hate classes.... Well maybe it'll be a bit (don't wanna say better)... more free with the 3rd Edition rules, and a bit less boring since it's not Forgotten Realms.... I shall try to keep an open mind about this project.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

This game sounds like it's going to kick ass. There's a level cap of 10, because in D&D 3rd (or 3.5 I guess :)) after level 10 you become far too powerful. It would unbalance the game. Besides, you can use all that extra experience to create your own magic items!

9. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Well the trailer looked good, but the trailers always do. I have no idea what D&D 3.5 is tho.

I hope it has a similar interface to the previous D&D games have had.

The problem with the sliding alignment in the Planescape game was that it really wasn't true to the D&D system. But that could just be because some alignments don't translate well to a computer. My favorite D&D alignment is Chaotic Good, and that's a tough one to code, really. It's not black and white enough for a computer to do justice.

Another lil bounce off topic: Has anyone played Icewind Dale II? I was wondering if it was any good.

But that's enough of that. I'm intrigued, but I too grow a little weary of the D&D setting. ShadowRun I says! Make a Shadowrun game!!

10. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

I do feel that Troika might've been an ittle-wittle bit better off working on a fallout MMORPG... Traditional gaming's really dying out with the advent of new 'n' nifty technoloy like super-cool-light-speed modems and the Ge-Force Mega-Extreme 29,000 Videocard of Madness.

Plus it would allow Troika to cash in its reputation chips left over from the fallout series (with the exception of "Tactics") and create a damn-fine game that I would want to play. Yea, and probably other people too, but mainly me.

11. Canis

Canis New Member

Doesn't Interplay own the rights to the Fallout license?

Besides, I'm certain Brotherhood of Steel will satisfy the dedicated Fallout fans for some time to come.

12. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

That's a distinct possibility, my good man. Seeing as I bought Radioactive from their online store...

And I'm sure I'll be able to play both Starcraft: Ghost and Brotherhood of Steel just peachily on my trusty Sega Saturn.

13. Drugar

Drugar New Member

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, yes they do. And look what they're doing to it! *Starts weeping like Homer*

You'd better not repeat that at any Fallout fansite worth it's salt. Brotherhood of Steel is a tool of the Devil!

Except that Troika doesn't own the Fallout license, as pointed out above, and Fallout Online (aka FOOL) is a concept nearly reviled as much as FO:BoS.

Seems like you two guys are really out of touch with the Fallout community. Sadly, you're Interplay's target audience for games like FO:BoS. Begone with you.

15. Clothos_Vermillion

Clothos_Vermillion New Member

I played Icewind Dale II. If you liked Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale then it's probably worth it, though i didn't play all the way through. I kinda got upset when i was killing millions of Yuan-Ti and getting no experience.
    The story is cool, and i played the game almost non-stop until i got to friggin boring and useless Yuan-Ti land. I hated them in the original, since they are boring, and useless, and easy, and i got little experience for them.

The gameplay is the same roughly, though there are a few new, kinda neat things, with your class and race making some differences.

Overall, its good, but it's just not the same as the earlier games. I might just be getting a little bored with the engine, something i never thought i could do. (Though i couldn't stand Throne of Bhaal, since it was a boring high-level romp. Plus, you kill the super-important bhaalspawn, and... there are two or three more, where you have to do the same exact thing!!!)

16. Octillicus

Octillicus New Member

I'm sorry, Jarinor...

Are we still on for tonight? I've bought the body paints and whipped cream already...

17. Canis

Canis New Member

Probably I should have used a winkie or rolleyes smilie.

In cyberspace, nobody can see you dripping with sticky sweet sarcasm. Unless you've got a webcam of course, but I've never been much of an exhibitionist.

*sulk*

18. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

yeeesss, sarcasm.........waves coyly......... really Canis, you're making it far to easy, a challenge if you please.

19. TairNean

TairNean New Member

I was gonna say...
    BoS is ok. Marginally. I mentioned my take on it to a friend of mine who's a HUGE fan of the Fallout universe.

Brotherhood of Steel, although called a 'tactical' game, is little more than an incomplete cRPG. Or a complete one with a severely lacking storyline..and without a 'rest' function.

I hate the vehicle interface. The stealth system is a pain in the arse, and the quartermaster dudes don't restock often enough. The other function that's lacking is an info or stats screen for weapons. The only way to find out what a weapon's stats are, is to go into inventory, equip it, then half the time you have to click on a blank spot in the inventory to bring up the stats.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game, but it's certainly not up to par with the other Fallout games, and it's a far cry from an acceptable Fallout 3. Especially for die-hard fans.

Meh...Personally, I despise online gaming. It's ok if you're gaming with people you know, but there's just too many assholes out there who want to spoil it for everyone else. I'm rather annoyed that so many games are turning out with better MP support than single player.

Well, I'm still curious about IWD II. From the review it sounds like it's at least worth checking into. Thanks for the link, Drugar.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I think you're referring to Fallout: Tactics there, which was subtitle Brotherhood of Steel. This new game is for the PS2 and XBox, and comparisons were being drawn with the destruction of the X-Com license after this game was announced.

Our Host!