New Continent

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Delkatani, Apr 18, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Delkatani

Delkatani New Member

Description: In 1901, a group of sailors set out from ashbury to discover the lost continent of "so and so" mentioned in the ancient book of Grovnolia... In doing so, they discover a large empire in ruins. Some archaelogical digs discover ancient texts that translate the mention of an unknown demon lord that threatened to destroy the land of "so and so". This could be the bases of a large quest!!!! and uber treasure. :akimbo:

2. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

That would be cool, except that the world map is already pretty full. It'd have to be an island, I think.

3. Susano

Susano New Member

Well... in technology, the arcanum date pretty much macthes the earth date. So we can think 1901 pretty much the entire world is already discovered.
    However, the basic idea is good. I mean, arcanum is tseampunk, victorian age and bla, and doesnt it lack something for this? yepp. colonialism. So we could have Arland and the United kIngdom (and maybe even Cumbria and Vendigroth) setting up colonies and "protectorates" over wild tribes of men, elven and orcs.
    A new continnet would of coruse also allow new races....

4. Langolier

Langolier Member

I never got ther impression that the world map was full, I've played a few games where at first one continent fills the map, but later you comeplete some quest ending up on a new continent and suddenly the other continent that took up the whole map only fills say one fourth. Teach mentions some places, and how do we know that they(the people of Arcanum) have explored their planet yet? Technology has only risen up again in the last 70 years or so, before that everthing was more like medieval Europe, at wich point they haddent discovered north america (minus the vikings). So, I think that another continent would fit nicely.

5. Susano

Susano New Member

Never said otherwise.
    Think Africa: Itw as known to the Europeans sicne - well since ever!
    But only in the 19th they relly began to take interest in it.
    So maybe its the same in the world of aracanum: There is this continent XYZ west/east/south/north of the continent of arcanum. And the arcnumites (or arcanumians, or whatever) knew this continent for quite a whiile now, centuries, probably millenia. But only 20 years ago or so the current pwoers started to colonise the continent

6. VerZreV

VerZreV New Member

So... lets say the "Arcanumnites" does not know about the "Other lands"..
    If they where to discover it, would the whole world be called Arcanum then ?, or just the "Old" country ?

Maybe something like: "This is Preobia, the least advanced land in all of Arcanum !" ???

AR-CA-NUM-NITES ?... I think that's the proper way... :p

7. backstabber

backstabber New Member

the new land can be divided according to its colonizers,
    the part owned by tarant will be called new tarant, caladon's is new caladon, so on and so forth.
    (NEW VENDIGROTH)
    (NEW TULLA)

8. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

And a name could be?

9. Draconix

Draconix New Member

Nights of Arabia..erm Arcanum... every hour is a adventure or some shit like that..... :grin:

10. Thalion

Thalion New Member

It seems like a pretty interesting idea. I'd love to see some more places to visit in Arcanum. Perhaps an island of some sort with an icy terrain. Well, there is always Stillwater and the places near it, but I'm thinking of a more arctic type place.

Mountains or volcanoes would also be a nice addition...

11. Langolier

Langolier Member

Hmmm..... One idea could be to have islands around Arcanum, but also, they could just add more towns and cities. Its mentioned in many places about elven settlements and the like. Also, if it did take place in the future, more cities would likely have been added.

12. cadaver

cadaver New Member

and of course bigger
    NO not bigger tarant is allready so laggy (with my 8 followers :grin:)
    but on the other hand arcanum2 will (hopely) a better engine and most peaple have better pc, so it 'could' be bigger
    me hopes for kick ass engine

13. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

why not just go all out and add a whole new dimension like the void but races still live there.

14. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

you know, i've always been a little put off by the fat that they only have one continent, and that it seems so sparsley populated. but then when you look at the walking times from one corner of it to the other it seems like its really just a large island, around the size of texas or so. then you consider the act that, because gravity isnt extremely low on this planet, this means the world map couldnt possibly show the whole world's surface because that would mean it would be smaller than our moon! (also there isnt enough water etc to sustain all that life).

therefore, in theory, there MUST be either an extremely large ocean surrounding the continent, and nothing else, or there are other continents on the planet of arcanum.

15. Wolf

Wolf New Member

sleek you have defiled this topic by bringing logic into it. jk

maybe there could be a land that is being fought over by two sides. one being technology and the other magick. and there are really strange rocks that arent magically or technologically inclined but are particularly sensitive and at strong magick or technological force would change its aptitude. the techies want to turn it into a large mining continent and use it for a new invention and the mages want to use it to perform rituals, maybe even summoning an ancient god. either way the results could be catastopic...

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

yeah, i think by having anything involving some ancient being coming to destroy the world again you'd just be making a rehash of arcanum 1. therefore i'd like to suggest a slightly different way of doing this; have ancient order of mad priests making sure the summoning went the way its supposed to... oh wait nm we already have "the molochean hand"

so fuck it all, they just need a completely new story, and one that doesnt involve insane gods, or even demigods.

17. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

sleek has a point there weve already saved (or destroyed) arcanum lots of times they need to come up with something new. thet does not put the whole world on your shoulders.

18. ralph

ralph New Member

On the new continent there is one magic and one tech side. They are in war with each other and you can join a side or try too stop the war!!

19. arronax21

arronax21 New Member

yeah ralph that seems to be the most popular idea floating around.

20. stormwell55

stormwell55 New Member

Just thought that I'll mention that my SteamEarth mod is based on a new continent in the Arcanum world.

Theres a large empire controlling it, plus a COUPLE hidden nukes. ;) :)

Theres also large wreckage fields of blimps and machines of war left lying around after the Great War all over the wastes. Lots of goodies to be found.

I'm still working on the plot but work has started on some of the maps.

There is planned to be a betrayal by a guy who is a big part of the plot (like Bates is but for most of the mod). Thats if you're good.

Our Host!