Need some help about World Editor

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by DeadManinc, Aug 31, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DeadManinc

DeadManinc New Member

I had created a map with the World Editor
    But when I played it ,I saw nothing except a
    black screen,but I can still hear sounds and equip my charater.....
    Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my map

2. magnemoe

magnemoe New Member

Black screen

I have a worse problem, after the startup shopkeper all the screen go black and no keys work and I must return to windows to end the game.

3. Richard the Lionheart

Richard the Lionheart New Member

Aye

I have the exact same problem. The screen goes black when i try to play a mod i created.

Does anyone know why this is happening? A way to correct it?

4. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

I have the same problem, and I haven't been able to work it out.

The way i understand it is that you have to enter your starting location in a script. This is what Shellman said in her modtutorial.

"Before you can play your mod you will need to set your starting point. First determine where you want players (For multiplayer maps I asume) to start in your mod. Once you have chosen a location, switch to the isometric view. Select the arrow icon and hower over the area. Write down the coordinates numbers displayed under the isometric and top-down buttons. (For example 2053, 2050)

Now you need to open the Maplist.mes file located in your Arcanummodules(your name)rules directory. this is a text file and can be opened with notepad. You will be editing the start map information (line #5001). In place of the map nmae (the default is start), you will want ot put the name of your map. Then replace the numbers to the right of your map name with the numbers you wrote down (in place of the numbers already listed). Save this file and you are done."

Also do this while you still have the world.ed open and BEFORE you select compress module in the top left menu.

This is what it takes to get the mod to work. I have tried it but failed, but others who have done it this way have succeded. I hope you do to.

/PeeCee

5. Richard the Lionheart

Editor

Thanks for the reply Peecee. I did try the way Shellman explained, but to no success. I tried numerous other ways to get it to work, but they didn't work either. I made sure my drivers were updated and everything.

I still get the black screen. I sincerely hope someone figures out why it's doing it for some and not for others. The game itself and other mods i have gotten from the internet all work fine, but the mods i make on my own, fail every time.

6. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

I just read a post on another tread that would solve the problem. I have yet to try it my self but here is the post.

"After seeing all you guys with this problem, I decided to see if I could create the problem.

The first thing I did was sat down and tried to imagine: "If I wasn't *me*....what might I do when creating a world?"

On my first try, I was able to create the black screen.

I believe the problem stems from confusion between "world name" and "map name."

The first thing I did was create a brand new module/world which I called "Tempus." I accepted the default map and built a house. Next to the house I got my start coordinates. I opened MapList.mes and edited line {5001} to be {Tempus, 2063, 2051...<other info>}, then saved MapList.mes again.

Back in WorldEd, I clicked the SAVE button. Because I'd not saved the map yet, it asked me for a name. I thought "My world is named Tempus, but I shall call this map Wisconsin." So I typed in Wisconsin and saved the map. Then I compiled, and tested. BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH.

After rebooting, I reran WorldEd, opened my module/world "Tempus". The default screen opened, so I went the menubar and selected File>Open (can use CTRL-O) and chose my eariler map "Wisconsin."

Then I reopened MapList.mes and in line {5001} changed 'Tempus' to 'Wisconsin'. I saved MapList.mes. Back in WorldEd, I compiled, tested....

...and appeared right next to my building.

My conjecture, then, is that line {5001} tells WorldEd the *name of your starting map* and NOT the name of your world.

The possible solution therefore is to make sure that the name you give your starting map and the name you type into MapList.mes are the same.

------------------------------

I didn't do a thorough test of this, as I wanted to rush my findings to you guys. You give it a shot and let me know.

Yeldrig Yar"

I am at this moment trying to create a quick map to see if this works

/PeeCee

7. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

Ok. I tested it out and it works. I got my minimod to work wothout any problems.

The key is to put the name of the town where you put your starting location, not the entire world name.

/PeeCee

8. Richard the Lionheart

Thanks

Thanks again Peecee. I get it now. Guess i was confused about that part of it, the naming of the maps. I would put the name in the wrong place or not name the map the same name. I did get it to work now, thanks to your help. :smile:

9. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

Don't thank me, thank Yeldrig Yar.

He have helped me and other in several errors that we have encountered. I just passed along his information to this board.

I am glad that you got your mod to work. I will not enter the world-ed with renew vigor to build it and hopefully get someone to help me with the townlayouts and the scripting.

/PeeCee

Our Host!