Geoffrey vs. Perriman: who to chose?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Mar 1, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'm at a point when I have to chose between Geoffrey and Perriman, since even having CH16 and persuasion almost at maximum these two fellows refuse to be in the same team. By now they both are level 25, and I can make them both equally evil and equally magickal with the Dark Helm, so alignment is not a problem. Geoffrey has much higher CN (7 points difference) and INT, but he has a habit of rushing into melee too often with zero points in combat skills, and casting "create undead" instead of direct damage spells. Perriman can heal and has high melee and decent dodge, but wastes points on the useless college of phantasm, is one spell less skilled in each college than Geoffrey at the moment, and the way it looks the only direct damage spell he will ever learn is fireflash. I've never taken him into the party before so I'm not sure about his fighting style.Who would you recommend? And is there a way to have them both?

2. Lagash

Lagash New Member

I don't know if you can have them both... I don't think so.

I'd stay with Geoffrey... Perriman is too... good. But with a good cursed sword in his hands you can be sure he won't dissapoint you... oh, wait, Perriman has 6 strength, yes he'll dissapoint you. :sad:

Stay with Geoffrey unless you need a healer in your team. Geoffrey usually desintegrates people and I think he learns how to call a fire elemental. And I think they're equally weak in ST.

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

20 CH & you can have them both. They are both fairly interesting for non voiced NPCs, but there are no evil healers unless you have Dark Helmed Dante. Geffory is a tad lame in combat, give him a Healer's Staff as a backup & he will heal you. But Smythe, with his MA boosted & a Stillwater Blade could be a lot of fun. Have you considered spliting the game into 2 saves, one with each follower, untill you see who you like best?

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Yes, I have considered two games. The problem is that the more games I have, the more likely are the save files to screw up for some reason. When I played before and I had a few different games, I could never finish the game because the saves were ALWAYS getting screwed up before I reach the Wheel clan.
    Well if they CAN both join me, I think I'll just chose one for the next 4 levels and then come back for another one :)
    Oh and Lagash, Geoffrey also suffers from lack of strength (he has 7). Dante is probably the only magick wielder who doesn't have this annoying problem, but in my game he's like 10 levels behind the rest of the crew...

5. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

I had a 30's/low 40's Perriman with me during the latter parts of the game , and while he suffers from the same impairment most AI mages do , he DOES come in handy.

Geoffrey (which i only kept till the mid 20's) usually cast either of the Undead spells , run out of fatigue , pass out meeling random rats and just basically be annoying.

Perriman's Fire Elementals outdamaged me in the Void , his Blindness spell ironically enough allowed me to kill Sir Garrick Stout in a ... blink of an eye.

To make a long story short , geoffrey was NEVER (i'm being objetive here) useful , Perriman surprised me with his powers a few times.

Make what you will of that :)

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well, I've tried Perriman and he does use his phantasm spells, but I doubt that fire elementals would be so useful. I just hope he doesn't turn HIMSELF into a fire elemental too often, they become really useless when they do that. On the other hand, Geoffrey's undead are no good... well I'll just make a persuasion master and CH20 and get them both in exchange for Virgil:)

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

But Jormund & Dante are free. Keep Vergil. If you have ever asked either one to wait, they no longer fill a slot. They need to be reset after Resurection. BTW, Thorvald, from the IoD is also free. Diferent mechanisim.

Yes, too bad the he is a coward. Fast man with a Major Heal though.

8. R. Caine

R. Caine New Member

Now why would you do that?

I didn't get to see him use the Body of Fire spell , and he only cast the elemental against the big guys (in my case Kerghan and Bane), and it hit for 30-34 each time. With 20 str and the Falchion i hit Kerghan for around 19.

This is a really small sample , i know , but i was thoroughly impressed.

9. Demosthenes

Demosthenes New Member

if you have a high ma, the ring of influence will give you +3 ch. the jewel of hebe will give you +1 ch. the gypsy blessing gives you +1 ch. if you havent gotten any of these yet, theyll make it easier for you to get ch 20 and so they wont be so many levels behind you. i would give up geoffery until you get ch 20 because i prefer perriman.

Our Host!