Dog lovers beware.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkwalker, Jan 9, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TairNean

TairNean New Member

There was a cop who tried to fix it, and he got railroaded.

No I don't neccessarily think we'd be better off with no cops.. I don't neccessarily think we wouldn't. The whole concept of a written law is rather idealistic. The only laws anyone or anything HAS to follow are the natural laws.

Laws attempt to enforce morality. They attempt to enforce a way of thinking, or an administration's way of thinking. Morality is a very mutable thing. In some cultures it's morally correct to enforce something like, well, female circumcision. It's morally correct in others to view females as a lesser species. Yet some cultures revere women as sacred gifts from the gods. Others respect life in general. In some cultures, it is morally correct to end one's own life, rather than suffer humiliation. Not too terribly long ago, this very culture felt it was morally correct to keep slaves, to treat human beings as if they were property. It was morally correct to prevent a black wo/man from eating in the same place as a white wo/man, to prevent them from using the same bathrooms, the same water fountains. Ideally, laws attempt to enforce morality. In reality, laws attempt to enforce a certain social group's idea of morality. In reality, laws tend to serve those who have the most money and influence to get their laws entered on the books. There are of course exceptions. Some laws in place actually *intend* to protect the public.

Would this place be better with or without cops? Who's to say....I can't say I don't see a certain appeal in the concept. I also can't say that it would be better, because then the thugs wouldn't have uniforms, and the beasts that actually deserve jail wouldn't be there. Although it might level the playing field...

2. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Aye it is in the Constitution, but the Constitution is only a piece of paper if it's not followed. And the bush administration seems to be doing its best to ignore the Constitution, and slowly shrink its protections, and broaden the government's power. The very power that document was drafted to protect the common people from.

3. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

I'm glad i live in Denmark. It's big news here if a cop fires his gun. Front page news if he hits anyone :razz:

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I actually agree with what TairNean said about the law, and how it's a view of your morality, especially from a philosophical point of view. However, I do feel that it's important to have some law, to make sure that the less desirable viewpoints of some cultures are kept in check. I believe that no person has any right over another person, without their permission. That pretty much means no violence or control or things like that.

Funnily enough, I also don't believe in a 'true' good or evil, just what others believe is good or evil.

5. TairNean

TairNean New Member

Oh and Snowmane..In answer to your question "what am I doing about it?"

Well, talking about it for one thing. More than most people do. Many just hide in dark corners and pretend it doesn't exist, and hope they don't become its next victim.

For another, studying and honing my skills in photojournalism. More often than not, a camera in the right place at the right time is more effective than a badge, or a bullet. Forge that with the power of the written word, and you have an effective defense against a disease that thrives on fear and secrecy.

6. xento

xento New Member

Wow! Those are some nice ideas and great concepts, Tair!

Thanks for sharing them!

I'm not sure what to think about the Bush administration... It's good in some ways, and seems bad in others... Maybe we should get some kind of Inbetweenie Administration...

Our Host!