Problem with starting the game...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Gwindor, Jan 31, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Well, I re-installed Arcanum again, after lots of problems with my comp, and then becuase I finished FO 1 and 2. So I install the game, patch, and load my savegames into the "modules" folder again. I start the game. And, after 1 minute, it seems like it's going to the menus, but instead, it exits to the screen.

I tried re-installing my nVidia drivers, didn't work. I also have DirectX 9. I used 8.1 when I played before. BUT, my registry got deleted, so I re-installed those programs that needed to be in the registry. Do I need to re-install DirectX?

Or what could be the problem? I wanna play Arcanum!!! :sad:

2. Elwro

Elwro New Member

I have no really good idea what can be the problem here. But I have some bad experience with the detonators. I remember that many games would not run when I had new detonators (from December or so) installed. So I just reinstalled those from May, and everything went fine.
    If you manually deleted the game and then, to reinstall it, chose "repair the installation", I have to say that the "repair" function did never work for me. You have to uninstall it completely and then reinstall for it to work.
    I also had such a problem: almost every time I installed a new program, Arcanum would stop working ("This program has performed an illegal...") and I had to completely reinstall it (not "repair").

This probably didn't help at all, but I did my best. :)

3. Elwro

Elwro New Member

Ah! Another thing: try experimenting with the colour palette and resolution setting; they might be the cause. But perhaps you did that already.

4. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Well, it's not like that. After the registry went back to an old backup (not the one I had made the day before though), I tried to use Arcanum, and the same problem occured. So I removed fromt he computer, and now I tried to re-install it. Same problem. There's nothing to repair. And also, I don't get any messages, it just dies and gos back to my desktop.

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

THe regestry is where afresses are. If you have Direct X loaded, but not in the regestry, the machine won't know it is even there. Yes, reinstall it. 9 should work fine, but 8 on the disk is a known factor.

Regestry problems suck. :puke:

6. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Registry? You just have to get in there and find out the problematic line... of course many people doesn't know how to do it... In Norton Anti-virus version it has something to fix registry irregularities, like broken links.

DirectX will fix anything? Isn't that installed already? You must install it at the installation unless you have a newer version! ...well. These kind of problems are always more difficult than they seem. :(

7. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

uh, well, I think I got the registry problem a long time ago, and now I get errors with the registry when I install certain games...

Anyway, so after I get the message, it goes back to an old registry backup.
    NO version of DirectX is there now... But... Möh, it takes so much time to download... Oh, well.. Thanks.

8. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Nope, I re-installed DirectX 9, but it didn't work...

*sighs*

9. Gwindor

Gwindor New Member

Heeeelp! I wanna play Arcanum! And Sierras forums sucks ass!!! :(

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I like Serria's forum, you will see me there too. The tech forum is not browsed as heavily as the main Arcanum forum, try posting there. I would like to be able to help, but I think even if I were at your machine I could do little good.

Things to try; Can you reinstall your OS? With some this is NOT a good idea, ask a knowelegeable computer whiz. Defrag, always a good idea. Try turning all the background clutter off with task mangeler, the Cntrl - Alt - Delete thing. Something that is running in background might be preventing the game from running or the accumlated weight of all of the clutter might be a problem. You only need to have Explorer & systray running. Upgrading the OS might cure registry problems, but it is a drastic solution.

Our Host!