Sim City 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xento, Jan 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. xento

xento New Member

The newest episode in the trilogy has just recently been releaced in the US! Definatly a game I will buy!

I read that, since Maxis started the creation of Sim City, they dreamed of a world where a city could be built from views high over the city, and then compacted down to viewing the sims interacting in their own homes. This was taken to the next level with Sim City 2000 as they developed better viewing ranges and more realistic disasters and enviroments.

However, they feel that they tripped on a step with Sim City 3000. By 3000, they had planned to be able to see inside the sim's homes, but didn't get past barely seeing small figures walking on the sidewalks.

They have gone much further with Sim City 4000. They have added the ability to "see" inside a sim's home, viewing the name of the sim, their reaction to your choices, their face, etc. Also, they have added much more detailed enviroments and disasters as well as much closer and farther views then were presented in Sim City 3000. The city even visibly changes from day to night!

Here are the System Requirements and supported languages:

Operating systems

Windows 98/Me/2000/XP officially supported, NT4SP6 and Windows 95 possibly compatible.

Hardware

Minimum
    500MHz Pentium III/AMD Athlon
    128 MB RAM
    8X CD/DVD
    1 GB Free hard disk (plus space to store your prized cities)
    DirectX 8.1
    16MB video card supporting DirectX 7
    Sound card supporting DirectX 7
    Keyboard and mouse (or other pointing device)

Recommended

1GHz Pentium III/AMD Athlon
    256 to 512 MB RAM
    Supported 3D-accelerated Direct3D video card (SimCity 4 uses 3D acceleration) with 32 MB video RAM. Supported 3D chipsets: GeForce 4/3/2/256, TNT/2, Radeon 9700/9000/8500/7500/7200/7000, Matrox Parhelia/G550/G450/G400.

Languages

English
    French
    German
    Dutch
    Italian
    Spanish
    Swedish
    Danish
    Finnish
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Norwegian
    Korean
    Thai
    Traditional Chinese
    Simplified Chinese
    Japanese

Check out the official Sim City 4 site at http://simcity.ea.com!

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Let me guess. EA is paying you for advertising their product. :)

I rather like this game. However, since I also enjoyed the previous versions of SimCity, it's no wonder: nothing horribly groundbreaking has been added here. The graphics are awful pretty though, I'll give it that, although they also take up a whole lot more system resources. It's a harder game than SC 3K, more on the level of SC2, and there are few ways to make money other than raising taxes and slashing services, at least in the beginning. And I'm really not too crazy about the whole "Maxisland" region of your cities, but maybe that's just me.

Before you get too carried away, the My Sims view is overrated and largely useless. It's kind of nice, in a "I love to listen to my citizens bitch and moan about things they know nothing about" sort of way, but I really can't see the point of it.

Well, maybe I just haven't gotten over the learning curve yet. Great game, don't get me wrong, but if you're not totally into this sort of game you can pick up SC 3K pretty darn cheap these days.

Episode? Trilogy? *scratches head*

3. xento

xento New Member

As in a part of a group. The "trilogy" of Sim City, this is "episode" 4.

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

5. Settler

Settler Member

Standing by what he believes... :D :D :D

6. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Just out of curoiusity, what do they call it when there is four games? Fourology?

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Nah, that's when it becomes a "series" :).

8. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

9. Canis

Canis New Member

I don't know: while a quartet can mean any group of four, it's usually reserved for a) a musical arrangement for four instruments, or b) the group of four musicians themselves.

I believe the related word is "quarlogy", though I admit I so rarely see it used. It's just one of those words like "synecdoche" that make people's faces turn pale and all confounded-like. Rather like President Bush Jr. usually looks.

Anyway, refering to the SimCity games as a quarlogy, or the individual games as episodes, seems somehow inappropriate. There's no plot or sense of continuity: each new one is just an updated version of the others with hopefully snazzier graphics. Like Windows. I wouldn't say, "I just got XP, the latest episode in the Windows trilogy!" now would I. Xento might, but I wouldn't. :)

10. xento

xento New Member

Oops! Sorry... I didn't look at the mechanics of the word "trilogy". I forgot about tri meaning 3....

Forget about that part, what do you think about the game?

BTW, Jar, nice avatar.

11. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I believe it's quartology. Then quintology. Then sextology, septology, octology and so on.

However, it's easier to call it a series as Jar so wisely pointed out. :)

12. xento

xento New Member

Sextology? Wouldn't it be sectology?

13. Canis

Canis New Member

I think it would be best for you to explain to us why it should be "sectology" instead of "sextology". While we're waiting, somebody get me Xento's SAT tutor on the phone....

Sectology, actually, is the study of sects. Most of it seems to be concerned with Scientology, which is why so many sectologists end up being sued by the "church".

Ferret, you're right. It's definitely "quartology". When in doubt, go with the one that's easier to pronounce. :)

14. xento

xento New Member

I may have just pronounced it wrong. Sectology is how I thought it would be pronounced...

But this thread is about Sim City 4, not about how to pronounce words and what word means what. If you want to talk about that, start a new thread about it.

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Think about it xento - when you have six identical kids, they're called sextuplets, not sectuplets. There's a whole heap of fancy prefixes for different amounts, maybe they'll teach you them in maths some day.

On another note, I noticed people complimenting my new avatar, and I didn't know why, until I found out someone (Jinxed most likely) changed it. I gotta say, I like it too.

16. Ct0fDiscord

Ct0fDiscord New Member

17. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

Wouldn't they be called that, whether or not they were identical? Is it even possible to have 6 indentical kids? I thought you could only have twins that were identical.

18. Canis

Canis New Member

Identicals can come in any number, though their rarity increases the more you have.... Okay that didn't make much sense, but you get the idea.

I think the most I've seen or heard of is four, those black boys who've been on Jay Leno and a couple of commercials. Furtick, I think their name is. I think I've heard something about there being between 30 and 36 sets of identical quads alive in the world today.

19. xento

xento New Member

Speaking of kids, I heard that the record for kids is held by some lady that had 30-50 kids. A rather full house, wouldn't you say? :-o

20. Canis

Canis New Member

Oh I'm sure it's more than that. For instance:

http://mypage.direct.ca/c/csamson/multiples/twins.html

Our Host!