No level limit anymore

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Phobos, Dec 24, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Phobos

Phobos New Member

No level limit anymore. That is all I have to complain by now in the first arcanum. okay perhaps a better turn based combat and an explanation for those fancy abbreviations in the german version

2. Canis

Canis New Member

I haven't a problem with the level cap. Games without caps, or with caps which are too high, can easily become boring and unbalanced. Leave it to the fans to create a cap remover if they so choose.

3. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I hope this gets adopted. The level cap was intensely irritating.

4. Snowmane

Snowmane New Member

I thought that the level cap was fine. In the end, when you should be about 50 or 50 you were strong enough to kill whatever you needed to kill.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

They should either remove the level cap or not make places like Ashbury graveyard and Liam's portal where you can gain 10 levels on one quest. I also think the whole experience gaining system could be a bit corrected. Don'ty know how yet, I'll have to think about it, but the existing one is a bit annoying. Maybe it should be done in a classic RPG way- depending on intelligence. This way you would have to chose, for example between a big, strong but dumb half-ogre who will level up slowly, and a gnome who starts off weak, but is smart and has a high potential.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Ehm - I actually happen to dislike that feature. I know it would make sense that an intelligent person learn things at a faster rate than an imbecile, but there certain balancing issues involved - wouldn't technologists be way overpowered if this was implemented? All the fun in playing a dumb character would probably be blown away...

As for the level cap issue - really, there should be one. At least in the official version of the game. After all, there are limitations on how much you may learn in your lifetime...

7. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I would concur with that statement. Game without level caps become extreamly boring once one is essentially invincible. I like encountering things with which I have difficulty slaying. It keeps me on my toes.

:cool:

8. Etalis Craftlord

Here's an easy solution. Take out the level cap, and anyone who doesn't want to keep advancing can simply not use the points.

Not that hard.

9. Susano

Susano New Member

Heh, this would even be a good way to show off:
    "You know, I plaid through all the game and still had 14 points left...."

10. Gavla

Gavla New Member

Your character would start losing his individuality after he maxed out too many skills and spells/schematics

11. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Exactly. What is the point of replaying a game if you end up as the same character every time?

12. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

did fallout charcertors with there unreachable XP caps lose there individuality because you ended up randomly picking perks?

No caps dosn't mean producing a game that aims at bringing each charector to level 99999999, it means that they reward people for exploring the game not having the same thing if you rushed through the game head first and did only the main quest or if you did it all and still looked the same weak bastard as everyone else

13. Gavla

Gavla New Member

If you rush through Arcanum, you won't reach level 50.

14. cadaver

cadaver New Member

how about multiple level caps?
    capped at level 1 until u reach scrouded hills
    capped at level 10 until u reach tarant
    capped at level 25 when u reach ashbury
    capped at level 50 until u reach nasrudin (or that fellow who is burried at the most south point)
    and no more level cap when u reach the last place/city
    ???????

15. Etalis Craftlord

First of all, "u" is not a word and I will devour your children for saying it.
    Secondly, it's an interesting idea. I don't think I'd like to play the game that way, though; I liked being able to go where I wanted to whenever my character could survive the trip in FO and FO2, and having a level cap based on location would be just as annoying as having a level cap in the first place.

16. Nightangel

Nightangel New Member

I Think thy should do away with exp level all togetter
    let you pic a few skills and traits you like at the begin
    the those skills and Traits you use get better as you use them
    over time. same with stat's... :p

17. Canis

Canis New Member

You mean like in Morrowind? That got really old, really fast. Leave your character in stealth or run mode, go feed the dogs, do some chores, come back and you've leveled. Wow, fun. More fun, actually, than playing the game, but that's another rant for another time.

There have to be limits, and they have to be somewhat realistic in order for the game to be fun and challenging. As gratifying as it can be to sneeze and have an army fall before your might, it doesn't make for satisfactory roleplay over the long run.

18. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

That's as may be, but I thought that the system in Dungeon Siege worked well. If something that that were expanded and adopted, I think it could work.

:)

19. cadaver

cadaver New Member

I ment how far YOU are in the main plot

20. Langolier

Langolier Member

I think I would have to say the Level cap is a good thing. It really makes you plan for what your character is gonna be. Maybe they could extend it a little. to say 55 or 60. Or perhaps when you reach level 50 you get 5 points or something like that.....

Our Host!