What's the 'best'/'most fun' 'charmer' type character?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Elliot, Jan 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Elliot

Elliot New Member

Who out there has played Charisma/Persuasion characters? How did you do it? How much fun was it?

I'm looking to start a charmer, once my half-ogre finishes his job. But I don't want my followers and my talking to do ALL the work - so are there any useful sidelines to follow? Thievery? Tech? Magic?

Is it possible to make a good half-orc charmer?

Thanks again!

2. Elliot

Elliot New Member

Right now I'm thinking:

Human Female Charlatan's Protege

2 CP in Persuasion, 1 CP each in Prowling, Pick Locks and Throwing (to start the game with a boomerang and survive the crash site).

Then, in the future, add the first three skills, and dodge, and become a master in the first three skills.

I'm sure magic would help this person a lot, but I've done magic, and will only play the game once more after this. So it's either persuasion and thievery, or persuasion and tech. Oh, and I'm looking to be good (since my ogre's plenty evil).

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well right now I'm playing Thor the dwarven tech archer(by the way a brilliant name for a tech to star with, I always get a capacitor and lock picks in the factory discards box so I leave the Crash site with one charged ring already. Its true, the items you get are somehow name related). He has a charisma of 16 and persuasion almost maxed (no need to spend a character point to max it since you can use Jayna's elixir of persuasion). Most quests in Tarant can be solved without violence, except maybe the Boil,the warehouse and the ring in the sewers. It can be quite interesting, but refraining from violence completely takes half the fun away :D . Of course you get a pretty big crowd of followers to keep, who, if decently equipped, can do the job for you, but it takes time to get there. Besides, it slows down your levelling up if you don't inflict any damage yourself.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

By the way the only decent throwing weapon for techs is the Aerial Decapitator. All those chakrams are enchanted. But of course there are grenades...

5. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

6. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Aerial Decapitator is a weapon carried by the old blind master. He is at some hidden location and there are no clues leading to him. The coordinates are at terra-Arcanum.com

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The 1/2 Orc Debutant is a great start for a charmer, or most anything else. ST 7, CH 10, DX 7, BE 9, CH 9, -2/4 bow & throw. Mine became a gunslinger / diplomat, but with the CN of 10 she makes a great mage.

I would start her with mele & dodge no matter how she was to develop. If you are thinking thieving, think prowl + firearms.

Even a techie can use Purity of Water, Agility of Fire, & Shield of Protection.

8. Settler

Settler Member

Well, I my first (and best) character was a Human Techie, Master of Firearms, Persuasion and Gunsmithy, a few points in Dodge, a few wasted (1 in Prowling, Pickpocket). My background was Miracle Operation - it's all set up. High Intelligence, Charisma and Perception, for making guns, having followers and good firearms skill. Sure, you have crap-all Strength and Constitution (I finished with 3), but you shouldn't get into any trouble - once you make a decent gun (even the Fine Revolver will do), you should be able to knock off most beasties before they get to you. I ended up protecting my followers, instead of the other way round 8) ...

9. Sauron

Sauron New Member

I had a human female. she was a beauty model. :razz: she had high ch and really high be. she had sooooo many followers. but the lag! oh the lag! batles turned disgusting. it was horrible! :eek: horrible i tell you!!!! Let us never speak of this again.

Our Host!