Seething Mass.... good Lord!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by llamaking07, Jan 4, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. llamaking07

llamaking07 New Member

Question 3!

Is there a specific level I should be on when going through the mountains? I mean, we're running along, minding our own business, and doing really great. Then I find a room with 4 Kite Shamen in it and I say, "Hahah, slaughter time". Well, had I check more thoroughly, I would have noticed yet another flaw within this nearly-flawless game. The demon overlord which I like to call a "Seething Mass". Seriously folks, when something hits a level 18 warrior, fully clad in Elite Platemail twice and not only kills her, but makes half her torsoe explode, something is wrong.

So, what's the trick? Leave and level up to 40 and come back and walk all over the stupid jerk? Or is there a weakness to him? Personally, I just want to beat this game now, and constant stopping like this is driving my nuts.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

Are you referring to the creature actually called Seething Mass, or is there some other creature/person you just "like to call" Seething Mass?

If it's the ACTUAL Seething Mass, I like to shoot at it from afar whilst Doggie takes it down. A level 20 or so character can do this... eventually. Save first.

Anyway, you don't HAVE to fight it. Just avoid it and continue on your quest if you wish, and come back later to finish the dirty deed if you're still interested. I don't see the inclusion of tougher monsters among the low-level monsters as a game flaw. It makes it more of a challenge, and more realistic. There are usually multiple solutions to every problem in this game, and this is just another example of that.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I was around level 20 when I entered the Black Mountain mines (I believe this is where the Seething Mass first appears). When I played a gunslinger, I had a looking glass rifle and could take the monster down from afar easily. When I played an archer, I did the same with a compound bow (not even the pyro bow), but the followers had to help a bit. The way you describe the situation makes me think that you're a tech melee fighter. In that case you should have already been equipped with a pyro axe (schematics in the underground of the Willoughsby house in Tarant) that takes down virtually any monster in two-three successful strikes. If you don't have a decent weapon try running away hoping that your healer (hoever you use) will help you and your other followers take care of the monster. Also try letting your followers engage the Mass first, monsters often attack the first one in your party who inflicts damage on them, and you'll be able to join in and kill the beast while its slaughtering your party. After all, there is always resurrect and restore life... :D

4. llamaking07

llamaking07 New Member

Ah, alright.

Canis, your right. I actually worded that sentence wrong, lol. I meant I like to call the Seething Mass a demon overlord, like Diablo II! lol.

Anyway, the general consenses sounds of this, I geuss:
    I need to leave the bugger alone until I reach a commendable level. When that comes, I go back and clomber the tar out of it.

I have a feeling (because I haven't been this far in the game before, I usually die and say, "This got boring.... again..." [Except for this time... strange]) that I'll be comming back to this forum for help a lot. So, for future refference (in hopes SOMEONE will read it) , here is my setup:

Main Character: Melchior
    "Scheme": Inventor (machines, smithing, etc...)
    Wields: Fine Revolver
    Wears: Goggled Helmet, Nice Suit, Worn Shoes, Charged Ring

Follower 1: Virgil
    "Scheme"(due to mod): Guard [melee-dodge]
    Wields: Filament Sword (oooooo....)
    Wears: Elven Chainmal (from mod again), DumBunny Helmet (mod....again), Worn Wooden Shield, Helmet, Stout Boots, Dwarven Gauntlents (made by me), Ring of Protection, Some other ring that gives him +10 to all resists

Follower 2: Althea (mod follower)
    "Scheme": Tech-Melee
    Wields: Balanced Sword (made by me)
    Wears: Elite Platemail (made by me), Goggled Helmet (me again), Stout Boots, Worn Wooden Shield

We're all level 19 and we are doing fine, until that Seething jerk... :x

5. Settler

Settler Member

Hmm...two problems that I can see there, LK...

1. Ditch the Nice suit...grab Althea's Plate and nab her something fairly good (from memory, at this stage I had some king of Plate (Machined, possibly?), Virgil had Bronze Plate, Magnus had Small Studded Leather and Mug Dog :grin: (Sogg) had Leather. Then again, I was usually the one protecting my followers (Gunslinger)...

2. Unless you're planning on combining two pieces, try to concentrate on one area (Ranged, Melee, Armour).

Hope that helped :smile: .

6. Gavla

Gavla New Member

I got through this bit first time with molotov cocktails.. MANY molotov cocktails.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Re: Ah, alright.

And these are the weapons you went against the Seething Mass with? A brave soul you are. If I were you I would get a decent gun (steal a hald cannon from that insolent halfling Sammy for example, though a Looking Glass Rifle would be MUCH more effective. If you have such a big thing for revolvers at least steal the Tarant gunsmith's one that has the range of 20 and +15TH) and decent blades for followers (mage smith in Tarant always has something, the filament sword is far from being the best weapon around), the best option for your Althea will be a pyro axe.
    If you have grenades of any kind- use them all. If you have corrosive acid- throw it as well, just be careful because it has a waaaaaaay too wide an area of splash damage.
    By the way did you already kill any Ore Golems? I think you had to go through a couple of them to get to that Seething Mass...

8. Sauron

Sauron New Member

Heh. i went throught the bmm just yesterday. i was a dark necro. all i did was use harm on the beast untill i passed out. my followers took care of the rest...

9. llamaking07

llamaking07 New Member

Well...

Despite what you all suggested, I brought out of retirement and put back into action the little plan I like to call, "To Kill Sepiroth Plan".

I left, and totaly ignored the monster and beat the crap out of all his friends, making my inventor a expert gunslinger while my two "guards" did the same in melee. The automation and arachnid helped a lot too.
    Level 31 never tasted so great...

End of thread! Shazam!

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

If you are going to take that group on at level 15, the only thing you need is a plan.

Stand where you can shoot the Kite Archers & take them out without getting drawn inte the Shamams' chamber. Shoot at the Mass when he is comming in. Give Althea a gun, she shoots & should change weapons on the fly if you have the option on. Potions of speed help. TBC helps. A Mechanized Gun or Charged Accelerator gun would help too.

But you don't need to do that room at all. It is off the main path. I often leave that & the whole village level for later. Stay on the direct path, run fast, & the worst you face is an Ore Golem & 2 Were Rats. The chamber just full of kites hardly counts.

11. Whitebird

Whitebird New Member

try some extra help too

I found the Gaurdian Orges quite useful in the mines. If you are your followers aren't up to the mark just yet, have them wait and send the Gaurdians in. They will wack it to pieces. I've done it several times. As a matter of fact, I took them all the way to the end with me, just make sure you have enough energy to last. I wiped out the whole Pollock gang with them and Maug too. I especially enjoyed fixing Luke the witless's clock in Shrouded Hills as soon as I had enough WP that is.

12. Elliot

Elliot New Member

Re: try some extra help too

Guardian ogres are insanely powerful.

I Finished the game with a half-ogre summoning master when he was lvl 32 or so. Guardian ogre's ASAP with him, and had no other followers than virgil (and a familiar, near the end).

Game's insanely easy with them at normal difficulty. Never a problem with breaking weapons or armor - just summon new ones. Or is everyone here playing at hard difficulty?

13. Val-U-Pak

Val-U-Pak New Member

I'm a mage-type, and so I just walk around with Virgil and Sogg in a Force shield, and cast harm against everyone. Or, if you're not a mage type, try luring them out one by one (this is how I got through the sewers).

Instead of going in at the same time, get so you can see one of the masses, shoot, cast a spell, or otherwise get it's attention and it will attack. Kill that one, run the other way and rest. When you're healed, repeat the process so that you only have to deal with one at a time.

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I found an easy way to take down enemies like that.

If you're magickally inclined then use a magickal weapon of either mystic or arcane level.

No matter what you attack, it won't take any damage!

I'm not sure if the same applies to high-level magick armour, but it might be worth a try. I usually take off my main armour, including gloves, boots etc. and equip some sacrificial armour - usually guard leather, which you can find in plenty in the BM mines.

If you can heal in some way then you won't have a problem.

Our Host!