World War 1?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Constipated BladeRunner, Dec 27, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Constipated BladeRunner

Constipated BladeRunner New Member

Now when anyone thinks of the end of the Victorian age, in all it's elegance, splendor and hypocrisy, what event does one look to?
    World War 1. Why not have an alliance between Dernholm (Russia), Tarant (Obviously England) against Caladon (obviously Germany)?
    And into this war, all of the resources of Arcanum are spent into- the forests, the mines, everything. Now I just need to think of the real plot.

2. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

3. Susano

Susano New Member

I always thought Cumbria paralells Germany... I know this sounds bad for my home country lol, but just look at the name, I think Dernholm sounds German...
    And if they translated Black Root into decent towns name in the German version instead letting the old name it would be Schwarzwurzel or Schwarzwurzeln (of course, literally translated it would be Schwarze Wurzel, but thats a proper name for an inn, not a town!) which could pass as German town name.
    Of course Cumbria (or Kumbrien in German) doesnt sound very German, but well....
    As much hate to admit it, if there is a paralell I would say Caladon is France. his is sad, because of all countries I liked Arland (Caladons country) most, while of all RL countries, I hate France most, lol. But then, nobody is forcing me to draw paralells, heh.
    *cough and Russia isnt even really European cough* :D

Besides, moving away from the parallells to real Europe I can rather see Arland und Cumbria allying against the overwhelming United Kingdom (Tarant), with Vendigroith being the wild card (but probably, ifjoining, then at arlandish-cumbrian side, it has nothing to win on tarantian side).

4. Constipated BladeRunner

Kaiser transformed Germany into what it was on the eve of world war. The governmental system was uniquley autocratic, as opposed to England's relative Democray.
    Why not focus on Don Throgg's Free Orc Alliance's activity in Dernholm.
    And what about the entire "stuck in the past" aspect of Dernholm? That sounds unquiley Russian to me.

5. Susano

Susano New Member

"Kaiser transformed Germany into what it was on the eve of world war. The governmental system was uniquley autocratic, as opposed to England's relative Democray. "
    Exactly. And to what do you think this fits? To Caladons Crown Council, or to Dernhoms weak, but authocratic regent?

"And what about the entire "stuck in the past" aspect of Dernholm? That sounds unquiley Russian to me"
    Yeah, but also clichee German (so, not German in reality, neither Germany in the victorian age, but we talk about clichees here!)
    Of course, the other clishee of Victorian age Germany is that of the fast developing, but agressive newcomer. Newcomer and fast development would fit to Caladon, but not the agressive part (again, its about clichees here. Victorian age Germany wasnt agressive, not more then France or GB. Thanks to allied WW1 propaganda however, the clishee remains....)

6. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

7. Susano

Susano New Member

oops right, this is a phpBB board so I could have done it. Too bad, I guess you could have read it anyways. If not, you are stupid.

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Please learn to use punctuation.

9. Constipated BladeRunner

Etalis, I like you already.
    But let us get back on topic- should the Arcanum world evolve into the Great War era?

10. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I say not. They're two completely different worlds, with one not only being fictitious, but they have different sociologies and sensibilities, as well as religeous beliefs and work ethics. You couldn't easily transfer our world war protocols onto the Arcanum world, and if you did, it would simply suck.

If you want a war in Arcanum, then make up a war that would suit the game world and it's devolopment. Don't try and print something else onto a world, and then try and mould the world around it. It's a bad idea, and it never works in practice - you'd only end up ruining the game.

If you make up a war, then people can read into it what they want. Whether they believe certain provinces parallel certain real-world countries is up to them, and most likely, each person will have a different view of which places are which, depending upon their relative perspectives.

11. Constipated BladeRunner

The elements are all there, however- without tanks, there can be no charges due to automated guns.
    Altough, in hind sight you are correct, though in all honesty I do belive that the Arcanum world should, at the very least, develope the Donn Throgg rebellion, have some sort of war that you could get into and have steam powerd ships.
    I still find it odd that the setting is so blatantly late 19th, while there are no steam powerd ships.

12. Susano

Susano New Member

If you want to know how a war looks like, tthen....

*SPOILER*
    looka the ending pic that comes when you mess up the talks between caladon and tarant. A war will happen and we see the corpse of a knight in full armor lying in a trench.... weird mixture, but it fits exactly to Arcanum.
    And depending on wether you help this plane builder in caladon or not, either it will be a stalemate or a victory for caladon - Inteersting, isnt it? I mean the United Kingdom of Tarant and Ashbury controls half of Arcanum, and still Arland (Caladon) doesnt lose or even wins. And I wonder how they can fight this war... isnt Cumbria (Dernholm) between the warring nations?
    Now without Maximilian I guess Cumbria is too weak to prevent foreign troops marching through its territory, but WITH maximilian...
    It would be more logical to have said Maximilian allied with Arland to make it victorious.... and then you have the Great War I prposed, heh...

13. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Maximilian allied with Arland? I didn't see anything like that, it's better they're separate, Cumbria becomes very strong after you return Maximilian... you saw the Black Root ending if you can't make it re-join Cumbria? The Dragon Knights beat Tarant!

It's funny how through all the game the Unified Kingdom seems to be the most powerful and then you can see endings that really pisses them off :D (Maxim's airforce helps beat the UK, the Dragon Knights, and even as Susano said... Arland doesn't lose the war without Maxim!) :D

14. Susano

Susano New Member

yeah and kinda unlogical as well.... but uh, Black Root is brought back to Cumbri through negotations, a war doesnt break out. at least in the versions I plaid it (which involves to convince Black Roots major to rejoin Cumbria and Maximilian to come back).
    I dont like those war endings, they make Tarant too powerless. I mean, of all cities I hate Tarant most, but it is just the strongest power...

You know what a scary thought is? If you dont bring maximilian back, it say "blabla and eventualyl Cumbria will be absorbed in the United Kingdom". If you then also suceed in the negotations in Caladon, all humans in Arcanum (except Vendigrotha nd whatever barbars might live in the North) are under one rule..... :-o

15. Lagash

Lagash New Member

It might happen... but if an Arcanum 2 appears it won't be that way... look how is supposed that the Hero of Fallout 1 was a man, when you see his statue in NCR! ...you played Fallout, right? :???:

Our Host!