Science and Religion the new convergence.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CharlesBHoff, Dec 18, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

On the www.beliefnet.com there is than artiscle tittle " Science and Religion the new convergence.". Sciencist are now starting to recognite that science
    alone cannot explain the Universion and how it was created. It 5 page long. It
    worth reading.

2. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Sorry about this you will find this under the Tittle Was the big bang a miracle?

3. xento

xento New Member

But what is the chance the Big Bang actually happened?

And if it did, what is the chance life could come to evolve so perfectly?

4. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

Chances are what life is based on, but fate is also an explanation, and fate is an interesting thing to believe in too.

5. Canis

Canis New Member

Well crap, I didn't realise Stephen Jay Gould had died. How unfortunate. :(

*deep breath*

As strong as the temptation may be for me to rant about otherwise rational, intelligent, and educated people and their flights of fancy, I've sworn to avoid the anti-Science, Creationist minefield altogether for the benefit of my continued sanity.

Unfortunately, I am a weak, weak individual. So I'll just say: a) While the chance exists the the Big Bang never happened, the evidence supporting it is pretty gosh darn good; b) Scientists have long admitted that nothing can be known prior to a few seconds after the Big Bang, and they've got what is considered to be a good reason for it, which I really can't understand myself seeing as how I suck at topology (or whatever mathematical field is dominant here); c) I don't know of any reputable scientist who would agree that life has evolved "perfectly".... Every time I bang the exposed nerve in my arm I curse the failings of evolution.

(I have GOT to stop reading threads like this. It just isn't healthy....)

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Life isn't perfect, and you're misinformed about evolution. Survival of the fittest means that the weak all die. It doesn't happen in a straight line, from amoeba to monkey; all the other mammals are results of random mutation and adaptation to their surroundings and come from the same species if you go back far enough.
    Evolution isn't perfect, but if given enough time it does develop homeostasis.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually, I prefer the Anthropic Principle. The current article at www.halo-17.net is on this, so read it while you don't have to look too hard for it. It's very well written, and I think it's a pretty damn good explanation.

8. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

That how God created the whole Universion throught the Big Bang. Islam teach that God isnot apart of our Universion that He is outside of Space and Time. Sciencist have one problen with the Big Bang is how something was created out of NOTHING. There was no space and no time before the Big Bang and no ernergy or matter in existance before the Big Bang.

9. M.T.

M.T. New Member

Are you Muslim? If so please tell me which goes first? Wassalaimualaikum or Assalamualaikum. Am I even spelling it right? What does it mean? I don't want to be embarressed in front of my Muslim friends.

10. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

The pain you feel is the system that warning your body of danger.

11. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

I donot know it they still treach these two old law of Science anymore. The first is that matter cannot be created or destory in a close system. The second is that energy cannot be created or destory in a close system. The law are sometime put together as one law.

12. Canis

Canis New Member

The Secular Web also has some very interesting articles on this topic in their collection. Just type "anthropic" into their search engine at the top of the page and you'll get a pretty good list.

You can tell a lot about a person by what sort of links they like to provide, can't you. :grin:

13. Settler

Settler Member

I'm tired. Too tired for any philosophical discussions. Eh...

I haven't read Charles' article (but something like it), but I have read Jarinor's.

Eh...I'm getting tired again...time for point form.

1. J: The perfect explaination - IF there is infinite universes (no sarcasm intended).

2. What I find annoying is the tendency of Christians (and Jews) to hide behind the fact that 'Your theory has some holes, hence ours works'. This is the only thing keeping Christianity (and Judaism...ay) afloat...and it will, I guess, until whatever you think will be the end of mankind...the sun going Red Giant for the more scientifically inclined amongst us (then there's the Apocalypse crowd...then there's the Ragnarok crowd :grin: ). I think science has got everything from 10-to-the-power-of-negative-42 seconds :-o (sorry about the superscript) onward - although I hope we can, I doubt anyone will ever know what happened in The Beginning (ominous caps) - but science has already got the end, depending on what you want to believe.

On a different note (and maybe this should've been in the Jack Chick thread)... my friend and I were sitting on the couch at his place, watching a WWII doco, enjoying our laziness...until we hear a knock at the door. My friend answers this (out of sight from the couch) - and it's someone preaching about the bible. I was having enough fun listening to my friend trying to put up with this, and not doing very well (it went on for about 3 minutes) and then I realised that he hadn't opened the door. Man, I would've ated to be that Christian.

Eh...you had to be there :grin: .

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yes, I like to pimp my friend's site a lot.

Settler, that's pretty damn funny. My brother got given the Book of Mormon in the city last week. I was actually rather surprised that there was a handwritten (and actually quite sincere-sounding) message from one of the Elders on the inside. Also a list of 'helpful and relevant' passages relating in some way to Jesus Christ.

15. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

There is one nice thing about Mormon when they go door to door trying to get new member if you tell then that you are interest an you donot want to be annoy they put you on than list telling other door to door people not to ring your door bell.

16. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Creation in the Qur'an:

How did God proceed to make the universe? Did He announce, "Let there be light"? Actually no. There is no such verse in the Qur'an. What he did do will sound very familiar from a scientific point of view. He said the word "Be," and an object like a ball (or something equivalent to it) appeared, and then He split it into pieces. The materials from this initial explosion where the building blocks for all things in the universe.

The Bible account of Creation is pretty accurate as the big bang would have appear as than sudden explosion of light.

I ask God to show me how the Universe was created. There was nothing and then there was one tiny point of light that was very bright that explosie
    into being.

17. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

ROFLMAO

Time for a reality check, Chuck...

18. Windmills

Windmills New Member

Chuck, next time you talk with God, could you ask him to do something about my yeast infection? It really itches.

And no "burning bush" stuff from him this time. I am fully aware of God's sick sense of humor. I mean, he does spend all his time talking to you, Chuck, doesn't he? Instead of doing more important things, like...oh....saving the world from war, famine and destruction and all that?

Then again, who needs a god to save us from the ravages of war, when Chuck can just send off another of his handwritten letters, and save us all from yet another nuclear holocaust. Hurrah!

19. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

Now now, Chuck hasn't been THAT annoying, now has he?

....? ...I mean it's possible, but I haven't read his posts (too long for my attention span)

20. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Where did Chuck proclaim to have averted a nuclear holocaust by a letter from him? I musta missed that......

Our Host!