Is there any penalty for tech character wearing magic armor?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Solaris, Nov 25, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Solaris

Solaris New Member

I'm playing a dwarf gunslinger and I'm hesitating what armor to use. So far the best armor I found was dwarven chainmail that gives 14 AC (don't remember the damage resistance) and weights 650 I think. Now there is a gnomish chainmail that gives 12 AC (not that much of a difference) at much less weight (200). But I'm not sure if wearing magic armor like gnomish chainmail gives any penalties to a tech character other then not getting the magic bonuses. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
    P.S. One more question: which gun is better in your opinion, tesla or blade launcher (blade launcher gives 30-60 damage at the speed of 6, but I don't know the tesla gun stats)

2. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Not Sure, but

I believe that the only disadvantage would be an aptitude adjustment due to its magickal character.

3. Lagash

Lagash New Member

Besides that you don't get the magic bonus, there's not penalty to techs. That shows that being technologist is better (in that way) than being a Mage, because a mage can't wield/wear a tech item without critically missing, but a tach just doesn't get a bonus (not as dangerous, is it?).

And as for question 2: I have the Gun balancing mod of that guy Krupp, I wouldn't mind with a Blade Launcher, the Mechanized gun is incredibly fast (25) and does around 5-30, so it just costs 1 action point to attack. The Tesla Gun does around 4-80, I think, but requires charges and surely is very slow to fire. I hope that helps.

4. chalcedony

chalcedony New Member

Whenever a magickal item has some of its stats in brackets - "(+4)" for instance, it means that the degree of power you get from it will be relative to your magick aptitude. Techies with 100 apt in tech could very well get 0 for the values in the brackets, while a magick user with 100 would get the full benefits.

5. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

As a general rule, I stay away from all magic when playing a tech character, that goes for my followers as well. Maybe I'm just paronoid, but I got sick of guns blowing up in my face.

6. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

The armour will work fine, as for which gun to use...

the tesla gun deals 10-80 dmg costing 4 charges
    the blade launcher does 30-60 dmg costing 6 bullets.

this menas that the cost to fire is roughtly the same and also the speed is about the same so it doesn't matter which you use.

EDIT: changed 4 to 6

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Blade launcher shot costs 6 bullets, but bullets are much easier to get then charges. If Tesla gun does 10-80 dmg then I think blade launcher is more reliable. Its only drawback is minimal strength 15. What about Tesla, is it the same?

8. xento

xento New Member

I disagree! I have nearly 700 charges and very few bullets, why? Because I make them! 50 charges for combining the solution and a metal plate, while the bullets give you only 25, I think.

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Well bullets are easy to buy, especially in Tarant. I have about 13 000 now, and I'm waiting for a mechanized gun to waste them...

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

You can pickpocket a Mechanized Gun at the Orc riot. If you pickpocket the bullets first, it gets MUCH eaiser.

11. M@de in China

M@de in China New Member

How do I get the Orc Riot?

12. The_Malus_Monkey

The_Malus_Monkey New Member

After going to Qintaara there is a riot outside Throgg's shop. Simply walk to the gaurds and pickpocket. Or kill them :D

13. xento

xento New Member

But they are so expensive! I could build that for less then half the price!
    It would talk a long time, though...

Your character must be pretty strong to hold all those bullets!

14. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

If you give Maxim the camera you found on the blimp he'lloffer to make yu a mechanised gun.

15. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Expensive? Are you short of cash? My main source of income in Arcanum is making explosive grenades for sale, you get about 800 gold pieces for each grenade with just one point in haggle(and being an apprentice). One piece of black powder and a common steel can make 3 grenades- more then enough to buy all the daily bullets and saltpepper supply in Tarant (about 500 bullets I think). Or you can rob a magic armor shop, it gives you quite a lot of expensive stuff for sale.
    Carrying bullets is a bit of a problem, but I gave most of them to my half ogre follower (Sog) and only carry about 1500. Though I'm right now increasing my strenght to 15 to be able to use blade launcher. 3 more points left. I'm planning to put the rest (about 7 points) into dexterity so I could make 4 (maybe even 5) shots a turn.

16. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

17. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Will they work with 100 tech aptitude? Oh and will the speed or haste potion work?

Our Host!