Age of Legends, of Course

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Icairus, Oct 13, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Icairus

Icairus New Member

I think Arcanum 2 should be set in the Age of Legends, if you are a tech, you can hang out in Vendigroth, which could be an expansive set of districts all across the wastes. If you are a magicker, you could go chill with the Elves and the Elven council, if good, you could help get evil peeps banished, if evil, you could help Arronax or some such thing

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

What plot do you propose? You need some grave danger hanging over Arcanum after all.

3. Gavla

Gavla New Member

Well, there is the whole rise of Arronax thing.

Also, Kerghan, The Bane Of Kree...

During the game you could deal with any or all of these in a good or bad way.

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Well yeah, but it was Nasrudin (and other council members) who defeated them anyway. In my opinion it should be something that even the whole council couldn't fight.

5. Gavla

Gavla New Member

Yeah, yr right.

In this setting, there would be a political minority worried about there being some other civilization in the void.

6. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Now that would be interesting - to learn who lived in the void and what happened to them. They were gone before Kerghan was banished so even he didn't know who they were. And judging by the structures' leftovers, they were rather tech oriented and quite advanced (teleporters) at that.

7. Susano

Susano New Member

well yeha that is what HISTORY (or sometiems even only myths) tells. Would add quite an irony if it wasnt the councila t all.
    Of coruse you could go witha lternate history and change something. Lets say, if Kerghan doesnt go mad, but the council still persuate him becaue of his necromancy, you could chose if you hunt him fo rthem, or help him (I always sympathise with the poor guy, especially since I find damage the best not-level-5-spell)

However, the age has too less tech for my liking.

8. Gavla

Gavla New Member

Too little tech?
    Two words : Vendi and Groth.
    The ancient technology is more advanced than the technology in the game.
    And the age of Legends was also supposed to have powerful magick around, too. Kind of buries the whole theory of circular rotation of magick and technology.

9. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I wonder if Iron Clan was alive in the Age of Legends. To combine technology of IC with that of Vendigroth... Perhaps we would also learn who was the first one to turn to technology path - dwarves or humans.

10. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Another Vendigroth Related Idea

If you read the newspapers in Vendigroth, there was the guy that built the submarine and went down in it but did not return, perhaps something happens down there, and he comes up long after

11. xento

xento New Member

Re: Another Vendigroth Related Idea

I don't think you understand. The sub was and automatic sub, like a robot. The inventor sent it on it's way, and waited for it to return, but it never did. You find it at Shades Beach, washed up on the Isle of Despair.

I like the main idea, but the evil should be something HUGE. What else is there besides magick and technology? Maybe there could be and ancient 3rd side of the circle, which got wiped out in Arcanum 2, before Arcanum came around....

Also, Vendigroth is basically in the Vendigroth Wastes, while the Elven Council stayed in the rest of Arcanum, so they wouldn't bother each other. Arronax was powerful enough to overcome the technological aptitude of the place, and wipe them out. Wonder why the All-Father didn't save them...

12. Gavla

Gavla New Member

I thought that was an aeroplane!
    I guess that after thinking about the Zephyr, I was thinking of flying machines as being big and oval.
    I wonder why he put all those schematics on it, though.

13. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Submarine

I hadn't even thought about the isle of despair, you are right about that, but he was on the Submarine, one of the newspapers was talking about how he was being replaced, cuz he was gone, it was manned
    sorry about my grammar today

14. Vikjunk

Vikjunk New Member

The All-Father seemed like a god that did not take direct action in the world unless you managed to gain the favor of all other gods. He seemed to just sit back and watch how things turned out after he created the world.

15. xento

xento New Member

Re: Submarine

No, it said that, after the sub had failed to return, the inventor disappeared, and his role was replaced. One of his collages had warned him about what would happen to him if it didn't return.

With the All-Father one: Vendigroth gained the favor of the All-Father, and that is why they were blessed with all that knowledge.

16. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

That sounds a lot like Calis.

17. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

I think it would be very interesting to play in the Void world.
    You could even tie it to the familiar Arcanum world:

You start off at a time similar to when you started the original Arcanum, maybe twenty or thirty years in the future. We all know Kerghan blew up everything in sight, and that there was something in the Void before him; but Kerghan isn't all-powerful and massive portions of the realm are simply unknown to him. These are where you start off - think anywhere you can walk to in the original Arcanum without a boat or a mountain pass.
    Along the course of events, you find your way over to Kerghan's part of the Void, and find the portal still intact. This could operate something like a mountain pass, between the Void world and the Arcanum world. Let's say that there's been a massive plague of some kind that Kerghan had prepared to release onto the world, and that it killed significant portions of the Arcanum world. This would free the programmers from having to program all of our familiar locations; places like Stillwater and Shrouded Hills could be dropped. We'd have the same map, but there'd be less on it, and the Void would also be acessable.

That way, we get to see something new and something familiar, much like Fallout 2 had a few of the locations from the original Fallout (Shady Sands -> NCR, Vault 13, Vault 15, and the mutant military base).

18. nutcase

nutcase New Member

---nbrosz

I think i read somewhere that one of the collegues says the inventor is sleeping in the ocean bed or something...did he drive the sub or did he drown himself in shame that the sub never returned...or did his colleague murder him....?

Extract from a vendigroth paper:

Professor Hunley launched his experimental submersible some seven days past,and was scheduled to return two days ago. Professor Frink predicted this as a likely outcome and tried to dissuade Hunley from proceeding with the test,to no avail. "I imaging my colleague is resting somewhere on the ocean floor,about now," he was hear to say as he walked away from the press conference where Hunley's disappearance was made public.

19. Eternal Dreamer

Eternal Dreamer New Member

An Arcanum prequel would answer alot of questions such as those above and...

How did the Elven Council come by it's knowledge of The Void?
    Did Kerghan know what kind of machine would bring him back to Arcanum and, if so, how?
    I think it would also be interesting to find out if the members of The Black Mountain Clan knew how to reach the void and how to return. If the BMC knew about The Void, then Kerghan must have had some sort of confrontation with them during the Age of Legends.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe there's a necromancer's lab with Kerghan's journal in one of the dwarven mines, perhaps the Stonecutter Clan.

A prequel could also give us more insight into the origins of the Dwarven Clan wars, the reason why human mages split off from their elven counterparts and formed Tulla, the spliting of The Mallochian Hand from the Derrian Ka, etc.

20. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Not necessarily so. Dwarves were banished to the Void by the Dark Elves. Thus they didn't have to know about the Void until they were banished there. As for Kerghan's laboratory in Stonecutter's Clan it was only recently discovered by one of the dwarves who made up residence there.

Our Host!