A Philosophikal Debate

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Horvath Van Trapp, Aug 21, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Horvath Van Trapp

Horvath Van Trapp New Member

I have seen a lot of posts made by wizards or beings that find that Technology should be brough down. So, making honour to the Philosophikal Debate, made at the city of Tarant, I call anyone to give me their facts and ideas of why should such and important advance as Technology should be brough down.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I guess this is just what we have to expect of humans. I mean, just look at it, the poor creature didn't even manage to spell his post subject in a correct manner.

The problem we have to face is this: Human lives are so unimaginably brief that they are prevented from actually thinking through their actions. Like checking if they got their post subject right. Or, more importantly, understand the consequences of using technology.

Take a look at the world around you. Polluted air. Outfished seas. Forests cut down for seemingly no reason. Violating mother Earth in every way that is absolutely possible. All of this in the name of what humans, in their short-lived foolishness, call "Progress", while it should had been "Degeneration".

Magick fades and Technology arises - the world is dying bit by bit, while humans, blinded by their foolishness and the lure of wealth, peruse the application of this work of the devil, this hellish contraption, this murderous tool that has has been given the name "Technology".

It is time to revolt! Wizards of the world - we must bring down technology, whatever the cost may be. This "Important Advance" must face the very ending foul Vendigroth rightfully suffered once in the ancient past. Gather your arcane energies, sharpen your magickal blade, summon your allies - it is time to destroy technology once and for all!

3. DwarvenWarrior

DwarvenWarrior New Member

Technoligy should not be brought down only taken away from the children of arcanum.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Such a dreary load of fluff and nonsense I have not read in a long time. Technology brings to us a bold new world in which to play. No longer will one have to study for years to cast a simple spell, no longer will it be necessary to pay large fees for a wizards service in casting a spell.

Instead, technology offers us a wonderful and unprecedented opportunity to do away with the chores of man! Take a look at the moderne factories in Tarant! See how they are capable of producing goods for all with little labour, besides that of the worthless Orcish slaves.

Humans are more than capable of understanding the consequences of technology. Why, even now, great technologists are looking at ways to combat the affects of pollution in our rivers. To suggest that they cannot find such a solution is laughable. These genius men have created such fantastic works that only a fool would believe them incapable of finding solutions.

What we have here is a plot! A conspiracy by the mages and wizards to hold the power for themselves! They are threatened! Threatened because their advantage is being taken away from them. Wizards will be unemployed, no one wants the services of an expensive wizard to fix their ailments. Why? When a cheap and easily produced technological potion holds the answer?

Bah I say! Bah to the wizards!

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    You speak with great wisdom, dwarven brother. We can't let technology continue to be held in the hands of foolish mortals.

Why can't they see the advantages magick has, and always will have, over technology? Can technology teleport one instantly from one place to another? Can technology bring people back from the dead? Can technology master time? Can a technologically manifactured ailment treat wounds as fast as a white necromanctic spell? Can technology be maintained without over-using precious natural resources?

No. Technology can't teleport you. Technology can't raise dead. Technology can't master time. Technology can't heal wounds with equal effiency as magick. And technology can never be applicated without the use of natural resources. A standard factory of today require tons of coal, steel and lumber each day to persevere, while magick only require a good nights' sleep to function perfectly. And a magicker don't need to keep hundreds of poor orcish and half-orcish individuals as slaves to get his job done.

Technology is dirty, sick and dishonorable. Elves and dwarves, the ancient races, must show the puny humans that the path they've choosen is the path of foolishness. Technology shall be taken from their hands, and magick shall take its place. Only then can we maintain our hope for the future!

6. DarkUnderlord

It is true, DwarvenWarrior speaks with great wisdom. It is a pity that you do not.

Yes, but what about the advantages technology has over the magicks?

Can a person who is unlearned in the arts of magick teleport themselves? Teleportion itself is a high order spell, available only to those of the most powerful of wizards. Yet the steam train, the subway, the steam powered boat, all of these inventions allow those who have not the time for learned magicks to travel quickly and safely. Why spend bothersome time studying the arcane arts when one could be studying the new fields?

You forget about the revitalizer, a wonderful technological item that is very capable of bringing the dead to life once again.

No, at this time technology can not. I ask however, why does one need to master time? With the great technologikal advances, one can achieve much more in a days work! So much that one does not need to alter the realities of time and space to achieve a more effecient use of time. I also ask you, how much damage can such a spell be causing to nature? You raise issues of damage to the environment, I ask you, how much damage does a spell which alters the physical realities of time do?

Perhaps not as fast as the white magicks. But speak truthfully now, the times when one needs a white mage are out in the field. Not everyone has such access to white mages when in battle and faced with the dangers of combat. Technologikal means offer an excellent alternative.

Yes. There is ample coal in this world for many steam powered devices. There is plenty of water in this world for cooling machinery. I am also confident that the harm that is being done will be fixed, in time, by new advances in technology!

Friends! Do not listen to this man! He plots a conspiracy to overthrow us! Where would we be without technology? This man aims to destroy all that we have worked for! I would not be surprised if the elven council was behind this, plotting to overthrow our very civilization!

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    Hah! The only "advantage" technology has above magick is that it takes less time to master a technological device than a spell. But isn't patience a virtue?

While Mr DarkUnderlord tries to insinuate that technology can be maintained without polluting and ravaging the land, we must face fact. Technology is dirty, a steam-powered poison that will force our dear Arcanum into the very brink of the Apocalypse, which I'm certain that not even our own dear DarkUnderlord want to experience.

Of course, with his short lifespan, I guess that he believes that he won't have to witness this catastrophy. But rest assured, that if Technology isn't brought down, I'll make sure that Mr DarkUnderlord do witness the pain technology will create...

Yet again, patience is a virtue, and impatience a sin. However, what you say is not true.
    During my time as an educator in Tulla I found that most individuals, even those of human or half-orc breed, could master the teleportation spell at the tender age of 20, supposed that they began their studies in the school of Conveyance as young children. Children do, as I'm certain that you are aware, learn things at a much faster rate than grown-ups do. I therefore say that magick should be taught at all schools in all of Arcanum!

Bah! Merely a pale shadow of white necromancy! I can't understand why you people even bother...

Wrong. Time-altering magick do not damage the environment. I'm completely aware of the fact that technology do great damage to our world though.

Even a low-level white necromancer can treat pretty bad wounds. The easiest spells in the school do that. Everyone, even DarkUnderlord, could learn how to use the Cure Wounds spell.

"The harm being fixed in time..."

May I ask how much time we are speaking of? You have an answer? No?

Every single day that we allow technology to exist makes more and more damage to our world. If it takes 10 years for us to make somewhat "clean" technology, it is too late by far. And coal, as you know, deal great damage to nature when burnt in large amounts.

Where would we be without technology? Well, I'd say we were in a peaceful, natural world without pollution. And we're not trying to overthrow any civilization.... yet. We're merely trying to change mans attitude, because you are so very wrong.

Magick must rise.

Dark Elf.

8. DwarvenWarrior

My position is a difficult one to maintain on one hand I know that technology cannot continue at its present rate, for the cost would be grave as we can see as the once great forest of Mobian is no more then a graveyard of sand and stone a desolate wasteland. However I also know that taking technology from the humans would be a genocide, they have grown dependent on it and to force there reversion to the ways of the old would be to take a child away from a mother.
    The humans need a more efficient way of procuring the energy they require one with out waste. The great clans of the dwarfs are willing to provide this energy. However you most sign a pact.

To be signed by Dark Underlord speaker for the human peoples of Arcanum. For your peoples crimes against the world of Arcanum specifically the former forest of Mobiean you are ordered to surrender all of your steam engines powered by wood or coal. It is also demanded that no human technologically oriented my venture into the wood of Glimmering. In return you will be give the alternative power sources of the dwarfs such including wind, water and solar powered and the guarantee that at least 90% of your normal power yield will be recovered after the transaction has occurred over a period of 6 years. Should any transgression occur which violates this treaty the Dwarven and Elven peoples of Arcanum will respond with a considerable force.

X_____________________________
    Dark UnderLord

X Dwarven Warrior
    Dwarven Warrior

X_____________________
    Dark Elf

9. Icairus

Icairus New Member

You missed something

[ooc DwarvenWarrior, there is no way Dwarves would have that sort of technology, they have no need for it whatsoever; Arcanum was 18th century. Solar? Wind? Hydroelectric? Dwarves live underground! Fusion - like Vendigroth, might be an answer]

DwarvenWarrior, you forgot something about humans, they don't care to sign your agreement. They would much rather destroy and advance themselves, achieve, advance, perform, that is all that exists in their short lives. Besides, why would the dwarves have and be willing to give the vast amounts of energy required? The humans are not willing to help you give them environmental ways of working. What we need to do is stop them from their current path of destruction. Although I wish we could only give them more environmentally-friendly energy, that is not a possibility. Those who want there to be a tomorrow must unite.
    - A cynical elf

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yet again your wisdom impress me, dwarven brother. You must be held in high regard in your clan.

Yes, humans have grown dependant on technology, far too dependant. And the havoc wreaked upon the plains of Morbihan is the sad evidence that technology can't be controlled in the hands of men.

So, in order to prevent any further disasters of this nature, all nations in Arcanum must sign this treaty. It is of vital importance for our continued well-being.

When the treaty has been signed, the dwarves shall teach humans how to make use of alternate sources of power, and elven wizards shall show them how to become less dependant of technology, by educating them in the ways of magick.

Mr DarkUnderlord, since you're representing humans in this debate, I'd like to hear your opinion on this. Surely you understand the importance of this treaty.

11. DwarvenWarrior

[You sir under estimate the Dwarfs]

They will sign or face military action. We do this because it is are responsibility.

12. DarkUnderlord

The damage you talk of has so far been minimal. A few polluted rivers here and there are nothing to be concerned about. In fact, natures own filtering system will take care of such little pollution.

Oh what a waste of time! Why should we waste our children's minds on magick when they can be studying technology! Think of the advances that could be made in steam engine technology, were our children to be taught such things at school. Forget your dead magicks friend, technology is the future and technology is here to stay!

But once again, why should I bother? I have far more important things to do then to spend my valuable time learning childish spells! You and I both know, the only decent healer is a well trained one. Were I to venture into the mountains hunting Orcs and Ogres as I did in my youth, I would take with me an experienced healer who knows how to mix the herbs found around him. Magick does not work on technological souls such as myself.

Such a load of cow dung I have not read before in my life! You sir, as an elf, should know that 10 years is no time at all! Why, even by the most conservative estimates, it is felt that clean technology will be upon us within a mere 5 years! Half the time you claim.

Yes, trying to change mans attitude so you can rule over us.

The Mobian forest was not needed anyway. An old forest of old, dead and dying trees. Much better to replant it with some new young trees.

Your pact is once again, a pathetic attempt at overthrowing us! You threaten us with war! You want to take away our technology so that we become dependant on you. Why do I feel that this is just a scheme for th dwarves to make money? Gold is all you ever think about. Gold and jewels. Why I bet you mine for the minerals all day.

Besides, we don't need your tiresome machines. The advances out own technologists have made within the last 3 years surpass anything you have shown us. As such, our steam engines are smaller, more effecient and are capable of producing more power than yours. I myself estimate that within the next 2 years, our machines will be twice as good again! While yours will still be the same. Old technology that should be thrown away!

13. Icairus

Icairus New Member

To the Dwarf

Told you so... Humans do not care, about anything outside of themselves, they do not even care for each other
    -Q'ay Teera

14. DwarvenWarrior

Pitiful human while your daft gadgeteers fiddled with their toys we dwarfs have been developing weapons that outstrip even your most advanced trinkets. Do not thank we will go idle on our threats we are not gnomes we are dwarfs the fiercest warriors Arcanum has ever seen, we offer are hands in friendship and you shun us. We accept your challenges as of now are armies are preparing for an assault on your land; in addition you will no longer receive any trade goods from us lets see how well you can equip your solders with out ore. Tarent shall burn to the power of the Dwarven Pyroaxe.

15. Dark Elf

Media:
    If the dwarves are going to make war with the humans, they'll be supported by we, the elves. In fact, in two days from now, a cadre of elven battlemages will teleport themselves to the aid of the dwarven legion.

Since the technological power within the dwarves burn equally strong as the magickal power within us elves, there won't be any disturbance in the usage of our weapons, a well-known fact.

Let's see how well man-made gadgets stand against the combined force of dwarven rifles and elven mass-destruction spells...

16. Icairus

Icairus New Member

Debate

[ooc]This is a debate, not a war topic, and what one human says should not be sparking a war. Nobody should be in such a position of power that they can cause their whole race to go to war over such a little thing, everyone should represent themselves and only themselves, we are not Bedokaan, where everyone's thoughts are the same[/ooc]

17. Dark Elf

Media:
    Re: Debate

Well... cousin, are you really willing to let humans use technology to drive our precious world to it's end, to let them create the suffering this will incur on all living?

Would you willingly sit back and do nothing, knowing that you could make a difference? Would you fall so far from grace that you allow yourself to succumb to such depts of cowardice, when you can put up sword and spell to rip technology out of the hands of men?

Would you, my friend of simple thoughts, betray the elven race by willingly permit humans to kill our world?

You see that you lack alternatives here, my friend. Either, you choose to fight on the noble side, amongst the dwarves and our own, superior race, doing what is right for our world. Or you fight on the side of men, a choice you'll regret sooner or later...

As you can see, there is no path of neutrality in all this. Either you allegiate yourself with us... or suffer the same destiny as the technologists.

It's up to you my friend. It's all up to you.

18. xento

xento New Member

*walks into room*

I object! There are pleanty of good uses for technology! I represent Vendigroth in saying so!

19. DwarvenWarrior

20. xento

xento New Member

Ah, but I must give some thanks to Arronax for resserecting us. Reguardless, Technology has the potential to rule the world!

We of Vendigroth served the God of technology. He gave us wisdom and knowledge so we would use our technology wisely. We ruled the Vendigroth Wastes once, and will do it once again. We have already brought back the most common Vendigroth technologies and will soon finish with the most complex.

Our Host!