The Orcs Attack!

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Snobothehobo, Nov 4, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Snobothehobo

Snobothehobo Member

This is my 3rd mod, and is going VERY VERY VERY slowly, considering my Arcanum is currently screwed up. I can't get it to start up. It shows the 3 intro movies then it takes me back to my desktop. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

I have aplan for the main quest.
    You must go to an island outside the town and kill the evil orcs and there MIGHT be a few side quests.

2. godfeast

godfeast New Member

sounds like a messed up .mes file to me. My game does that whenever there is a typo error in ANY of the various .mes files.
    To be sure, remove your data folder to another area and try to start it up - I bet it works like a charm. The pain in the butt will be trying to figure out what error in what .mes file is causing the crash - good luck!

3. Snobothehobo

Snobothehobo Member

I don't mean taht WorldEd isn't starting up, I mean Arcanum isn't starting up!

4. lester_mckay

lester_mckay New Member

My wife recently had that problem. I fixed it by inatalling the 1074 patch and applying the no CD hack. Maybe this will work for you.

The first time it happened, I saved all my .dat files then removed and reinstalled the game. The .dat's still worked fine.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your mod and let me know if you get stuck. I may be able to help you.

5. godfeast

godfeast New Member

6. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

wtf???

I'm not gravedigging, i promise--but I have the exact same problem i think... it will show the sierra logo, the troika logo, and then when it says loading arcanum it will either crash the computer completely, or crash and return me to my desktop. I have uninstalled/reinstalled this game4 times in the past day to try and fix this, and have tried the 1074 patch, to no avail. Where do you get the No CD hack? Will that fix it? Any help and I would be obliged--worlded works fine, so i can continue my mod, but I will never know if it actually works... :???:

thanks
    Ruelz

7. lester_mckay

lester_mckay New Member

I'm not sure if the No CD hack will fix your problem, but I found it at www.gamecopyworld.com. You can get legal information on creating game back-ups there. You can also find many no CD patches.

The last time the game crashed like that on me, I had to remove everything, characters and all. Once I deleted all the characters and mods, the game ran fine. Before doing that, copy your mod to a different directory. It should work fine if you copy it back.

Hope that helps.....

8. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

*sigh* the patch didn't fix it, but I did want to post my thanks for your prompt reply. Yeah, I've tried removing everything, even mods and charactetrs, hoping that reinstallation would fix it and it would run. These problems totally baffle me, when a game works fine one day and then is not right the next!

Thanks again for the help--I will hunt down tech support from sierra--maybe they can tell me if like my new video card is causing the problem.
    I didnt think there were too many video-mode compatibility issues with arcaqnum, and with a radeon ATI 7500, I dont beleive it's the problem, but you never know.

9. lester_mckay

lester_mckay New Member

It may be your video card or its drivers. The funny thing is, I have an first generation Riva TNT and I have never been able to run the game in normal mode. I have been playing in safe mode for as long as I've owned the game. I haven't had any luck finding drivers or information on how to fix it. I haven't had any problems with safe mode, though.

I'll assume you've already tried that, but if not.....

Sorry I wasn't able to help you more.

10. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

IT WORKED! :grin:

I was just an impatient idiot! After installing the no-cd thing, it would stay inordinately long on the train screen, and since my keyboard didnt respond, I assumed it had crashed the computer entirely. Apparently, according to a little research, it rebuild the maps directory in arcanum when you patch this the first time, and so takes longer than usual! So if you just let it sit there and load for 3-5 miinutes the first time, it works.

I am sure i just learned a life lesson in here somewhere... :D

incidentally, lester: did you ever get the script worked out for door guards? I noticed that in a previous post, and I would have offered my knowledge if i hadnt been on a modding vacation, so to speak. (Every now and then you will find the frustration to be overwhelming!) If you still need that, let me know.

11. lester_mckay

lester_mckay New Member

Well, I glad it worked for you. I work with computers and networks for a living and it wouldn't have been a testament to my abilities if I had failed you.

Anyway, I have downloaded all of the .scr and .dlg files for Arcanum single player. I have been going through those to learn scripting fully. I have found the Wellington Gentlemans Club doorman script and have learned how to do it, with a little cleanup.

Thanks for the offer of help, I'll be sure to look you up if I encounter any other issues with scripting.

12. Ray Stryke

Ray Stryke New Member

...About that goes through three movies then goes back to desktop thing... I had the same problem, it was from me messing with my spelllist.mes file, the thing was, I got the "{" one one side of the line, a single line, and forgot the "}" on the end, and that was what my problem, anything else I do to it doesn't seem to bother the game until I cast that spell ;-)

Our Host!