Science Fair Projects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xento, Oct 16, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. xento

xento New Member

What are you going to do for the science fair, those of you who are in school? If you post your ideas, I will post mine. :D

2. Settler

Settler Member

Well, we don't have science fairs, but for one of my science projects I made a mock DNA Chain. Eh? Eh?

3. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

I'm going to leave small amounts of bacteria on different people and watch them grow. Oh wait I'm not in school anymore (stupid short term memory is blasted to hell)! I guess this one will have to wait until next year then :(

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure about that?

5. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

Well.... Um no I'm not.... I mean I COULD be... But.... HEY!!! Who ARE you anyway!!!!?? :hidepc:

6. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Where have I heard that before?

By the way, I haven't been to a science fair since I ended middle school. Thank God.

My eighth grade project went through 27 drafts (yes, I counted), and my teacher still gave me a B-.

7. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

There's a life lesson in there somewhere, Etalis. Maybe it's that anything that doesn't work after the 9th or 10th draft may be a lost cause.

To put it another way, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again, but don't try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again.

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

9. xento

xento New Member

Anyway, if any of you are anxious inventors, then here are a few ideas to chew on:

Underwater Breathing Mask
    Ya ya ya, Star wars, Spy Kids, we all know, right? Well, it may be possible. Here are two possible ways:
    A: Make a cloth so thinly twined, that oxygen could go through it, but water, salt, and other sea debris would not be able to get in

OR

B: Find a way to split Carbon Dioxide (CO2) into one atom of carbon, and two atoms of oxygen. This would be a big feat, because you would be able to recycle your own air, and the only thing you would get as waste would be carbon, which could be held in a tank, dropped into the sea, or kept for some other use.

If this could be done, it would be a huge breakthrough, and many lives could be saved.

Taste Tablets

If someone could make a kind of tablet, or gum, that would, using chemicals, or electrochemicals, trigger the taste buds to taste like anything without the calories, you would be guarnateed weath, and a much slimmer society.

Flying Cars

You may have seen pictures of REAL flying cars on the internet: they use fans to move and hold themselves up in the air. But, maybe an air compressor would be more efficient in doing so. It would quickly use and engine to pressurize air in a tank, and let it out down, to hold the car up. It would be quite powerful, especially if there was a nozzle at each corner of the car. Then, when the throttle was pushed, it would open the pressure from a rear valve, pushing the car forward at great speeds because of being in the air, and such little friction to slow you down. An idea worth working on.

I will post more ideas later...

10. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Hmmm... breathing mask 1: Suffocation, due to the restriction of flow of free oxygen.

Breathing mask 2: Called a submarine

Taste Tablets: Called Mono-Sodium Glutamate. Nervous toxin that hyper stimulates the taste buds and makes us think we are eating something that tastes, instead of the mucshy crap that it really is. Long term exposure results in massive nervous disorders, and even short term exposure results in loss of taste and tongue sensitivity. WARNING: Avoid MSG at all costs. ADVICE: Don't eat, as it's found in vitually everything nowadays.

Flying Compressor Cars: Already been done. Nice for a while, but then you discover that the compression cannot keep up with the rate of exhaust of compressed gas, and after a few seconds of blissful freedom, you plumet back to earth and die horribly.

Still, all of the above would get you an A in a school science fair.... :wink:

11. Sheriff Fatman

Not if I was the teacher. I'd be wanting to see working prototypes for feasible new inventions. I'd also be wanting the students to sign some waivers.

12. xento

xento New Member

Actually, I didn't know they had been invented. :oops: I thought they were my idea... :(

13. Settler

Settler Member

One step ahead, nbrosz :) .

While we're on inventions, someone patented the wheel a few months ago, as part of some mock-science-prize-ceremony-god-knows-what. Turns out no-one had.

14. Ferret

Ferret New Member

That's a blatent lie, or hoax. Sorry, but the patent office will not, and CANNOT allow such a thing to happen, as part of the descision to allow a patent involves the investigation into the originality of the product in question.

Seeing as the wheel has been around for a few years at least, then it is impossible for any patent office to accept the proposal to patent the wheel. They cannot patent anything that is already in use, or has anything of similar design already on the market, without having a fundamental difference to it.

Sorry, but thats just how it works Settler. We should know - not only are we a nation of inventors, and have come up with nearly 80% of all of the current world inventions, but there was an in depth documentary on patenting on TV the other night! :D

15. xento

xento New Member

Ferret, where are you from? What country are you talking about?

16. Ferret

Ferret New Member

17. xento

xento New Member

England came up with 80% of most inventions? As of now, America is nearly the most innovated country in the world. And China has to get credit for gunpowder, fireworks, and firearms.

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I may have been gone for a bit, but that was because I had quite a bit of work to do regards uni. And I started playing Diablo 2 again, as I think I previously mentioned.

Anyway, I had a bit of time, was reading this thread, and I came upon several grevious errors which I feel compelled to point out...

Yes, China did come up with that stuff and more, like kites, ice cream, and a few others. Also, I seriously doubt America is the most innovative (not innovated) country in the world. Ever hear of a small Asian country known as Japan? You should - most of your innovative products are made there, not to mention conceived and created.

Actually, Settler's not lying Ferret. A Melbourne or Sydney lawyer did successfully patent the wheel quite recently (can't remember exactly when, but definitely in 2001 or 2002). I remember thinking "What the fuck" but lawyers, as we all know, pull dirty tricks every day, and so he owns the patent for the wheel.

Nature beat you to it. It's called photosynthesis.

Pff, good luck. More likely you'll get a lungful of air though.

Yeah, so slim that we'd all be skeletons because we'd all have died of malnutrition. Taste doesn't provide nutrition - calories do! Our bodies need energy to operate, that's where the calories from food come in. Taste is just a bonus. You can live of food that tastes badly just as well as food that tastes good.

Otherwise known as a hovercraft?

19. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Ohh ohh i love these threads evryone starts to tell anyone what inventions that their country has invented until it end upp in a crazy nationalist combat.
    Norway got the celuloce way of making paper, and the factories to mass produce it. AND the most important invention of them all the paperclip. Beat that.

20. Sheriff Fatman

We invented Gravity and Evolution¹. Imagine what life would be like without them.

¹It's okay, I know. I really do. Don't bother pointing it out.

Our Host!