Nothing to do in Stillwater? Can't be...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by AnnHala, Sep 17, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

I haven't got anywhere in Stillwater (just the wizard/orc quest)... nobody is talking to me. :(
    I found the bunny but nobody has said anything about it. I know who has the statue, but I can't get a dialogue with the guy and I don't want to kill him.

My stats are:
    Beauty 8
    Charisma 8
    Persuasion - 1 point - apprentice

My reaction is at 2, but Virgil and Magnus' are at -7

Any other skills that need to be hiked up?

2. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

Hmmm are you ahead of the game (although I don't think this should matter here except for one quest)

Is everyone just floating dialogue or what.

As far as the statue you can wait til he is asleep and pick the lock to the other room or just pick pocket him for the key to get it without killing him

Did you say your reaction was 2 as in almost hatred?? This is the number you get when examing people?

3. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

Maybe I am ahead of the game. I haven't finished the Black Mountain Caves yet as I chickened out, then went a wandering in the wilderness and happened upon Stillwater... nobody told me about it to put it on the map.

4. Bogarona

Bogarona New Member

About the statue, how high is your intelligence? you must have a certain intelligence for some dialoque options to appear, in this case that he hands over the statue to you, also your persuasion must be high enough, I don't know how high, I've got 5 slots full but it can be lower, I'm sure
    The 2 other options are: pickpocket him, if your pickpocket rating is to low use a fate point for it. And the second option is: kill him and take the statue from his dead body.

About the rabbit : Nothing is wrong: I can tell you how you must solve the quest but it will be a SPOILER! I think it's great fun if you found out yourself, So do you want the Spoiler?

5. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

That's probably the problem as you have to complete BMC then Isle of Despair and then the wheel clan mines before the story takes you to stillwater (although why this would affect side quest's is beyond me)

did the priestess give you the quest for the statue?

6. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

Yes, the priestess gave me the statue quest... I'm just not getting a dialog from Mervyn (or whatever his pretty-boy-faced name is). I didn't know intelligence influenced dialog... man, this game is complicated... which it makes frustratingly fun! :D

I also got the quest from the hammer guy about checking on the wizard and I completed it successfully.

I think I'm satisfied with the possibility that I'm in Stillwater out of turn. I'll try to finish the caves and proceed from there. Thanks wdygfy, you've been most helpful!

7. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

8. Windmills

Windmills New Member

Whoever said this game wasn't linear....heh. :roll:

9. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Theres a halfling somewhere who'll give you a quest to get a big ruby for him but unless you have teleport it isn't much good yet.

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Don't forget the orgy after you do the statue quest!

11. Luinil

Luinil New Member

has anyone here ever killed every single person after the orgy?
    i was thinking about it, and it seems that there arent event that many people in stillwater to begin with. if you do kill them does it result in nobody left in town?

12. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I doubt it, I think those are extra characters, not the real inhabitants.

13. Luinil

Luinil New Member

14. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

It figures ...
    The next morning they'd ever admit to having participated in the orgy ...

15. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

But there are only human bodies after the orgy while there are also gnomes and halflings in Stillwater. I think those people might be pilgrims. For such a goddess I could go on pilgrimage. 8)

16. carlstar

carlstar New Member

die for your government

I um.... well... accidently dropped some explosives around the place and ended up killiing them all and not one person in town cared. Not even That Bridget(?) priestess girl with statue.
    I was wondering how easy it would be to kill pretty much everyone in Arcanum and you know it's easy for a butt ugly sword weilding Orc with no friends but it also gets dull rather quickly.

AnnaHala - That -7 reaction with magnus and Virgil isn't to good if thats what shows up in the dialog box when the cursa is on them, so if it is you might want to give them things like snuff, wine etc which makes them happier so some people say.

17. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

The -7 is in their character editors, not the info box at bottom. So maybe that is what their reaction is from other people.

Oh, and to update my original question... I was in Stillwater too soon. I finished the mines and wheel clan, then went back to Stillwater. By the way, after you've completed the giant quest... are you supposed to do anything with the caged bunny? I just dropped it off somewhere as it was taking up too much inventory space.

18. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Some have given it to Lil's girls to take care of.

19. Anonymous User

Anonymous User New Member

Reaction and the reaction modifier are two seperate things.

Reaction is what is displayed when you put the cursor over a creature. It affects dialogue and prices. In addition, usually characters with 0 reaction or less attack you on sight. The default reaction is 50, and this is modified by your race, reputations, reaction modifier, dialogue options, blessings, curses, and other factors.

The reaction modifier is a secondary statistic and is shown on the character screen. It changes the reaction of other characters. A 0 reaction modifier means that it doesn't affect the reaction of other characters, a -7 means that it subtracts seven from the reaction of other characters, and so forth. Only your reaction modifier matters: the reaction modifier of others (including party members) can be safely ignored.

20. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

What an excellent explanation... thank you so very much! :)

Our Host!