New here with some questions

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Shaded_One, Sep 13, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shaded_One

Shaded_One New Member

Hello all. I recently purchased Arcanum, and I have come up with a few questions regarding the game.

1. Are the God's Quest bonuses full ranks or partial ranks? Example: If I have no melee and finish the Quest, will I now have three ranks, being able to train as an expert, or will I have 3/4 a rank, only being able to train as an apprentice. This will be convenient for skill planning.

2. Is there a better melee weapon with speed 18+ than the Katana, and who do I have to rob/kill to get it?

3. Is there anything in the Forbidden Pit and how tough is it once you are there?

4. Am I going to have to use fate points to pick the locks of the chests in the Tarant magic shops? I am currently an expert locksmith.

Thanks

Shaded

2. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

it's been a while since i've played so i'll answer what i can and apologies for any thing that's incorrect.

the bonus'es (sp) are all full ranks and very useful

i think the rapier is faster but does shit damage, so it's probaly better to get the katana

never been in the forbidden pit so i can't help you there

you shouldn't have any trouble with expert status but the chest at ritze's (sp) in shrouded hills is easy to pick and you can do it every day for money so you can buy whatever you want

hope this helps and welcome to the forum :wavey:

3. Ferret

Ferret New Member

1. Bonuses (no ') are full ranks, as nobody said before.

2. I think the sword of air has 17 speed, but does more damage, and is lighter at high magickal aptitude. Also, that needle-sword, or whatever it's called, is very fast (can't remember how fast exactly, but it's fast) and has a high critical. If you're going melee expert or master, then you end up doing loads of critical hits!

3. Forbidden pit contains a really nice ring of poison resistance, but is guarded by 3 black widow spiders. Low health pionts and easy to kill, but they have strong poison. However, the ring is well worth it, and there's a small amount of gold too (200-1000 I think).

4. Expert lockpick - no problem. You might need a few reloads, so save before you pick a lock, but jammings never irreversible, and just needs you to sleep/rest a day in a different location. I never really had a problem at expert though, but I'd advise using auto-lockpicks, or whatever they're called if you can get them - Magnus makes them at a fairly low level.

4. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I believe Ferret is referring to the Filament Blade - a wonderful weapon IF you are a master at melee. Anything less and you are likely to lop off your own head (I've done it - not pretty).

:eek:

5. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

just remembered that the sword of sickness is pretty good, (fairly fast and good damage) which i used for quite a ways into the game and can be found at the gypsy ladie's (the one's who id your shit).

6. Shaded_One

Shaded_One New Member

I can't have Magnus make me auto skeleton key because I already killed him (Bastard doesn't even want me to atack pigs, and all that bitching about his name, really anoying). Is there any place to find them? My current charater is a bow/melee/backstabbing thief. I've been using melee because my bow sucks. I am exploring the sewers of Tarant trying to level up before going to BMC. Virgil is my only follower since I don't plan on raising my charisma past the 6 (started with 4) I get from the fortune teller's blessing and the Jewel of Hebe.

Quick follower question: Does Dog count toward your followers, are there any other requirements to getting him other than saving him, and can he ride on ships?

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Dog's a free follower, and yes he can ride on ships. Handy that - seeing as he can't ride on trains or the subway.

Shame on the Magnus front though, as although he's one of the most annoying characters in the game, he also makes some decent stuff for you.

8. Shaded_One

Shaded_One New Member

He wouldn't have joined me anyway. I chose troll offspring for my background, so my charisma is much to low for him to join me.

9. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

auto skeleton key you just have to use like I think three points in mechanical to make it. I don't know about this but it seems like the more lockpicks I have on me the easier I pick locks??

Oh and the pyro axe is the best melee weapon period not really that fast but massive damage and this one can be built by just using tech manuals

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

[/quote]

He can ride the subway.

Early in the game the best weapon you can steal would be the Sword of Balthar(SP?) from Liana DelPar in Dernholm. ST 15 or better.

For the less muscular, a dwarf in the hotel bar in Blackroot is carrying a Featherweight Axe, slower but big dammage. It can get MUCH bigger.

Either of those is worth a fate point.

If you are good, get Magnus & have him make you Ballanced Swords. He will later make Featherweight Axes.

The best sword in the company store on the way into the game is the rapier IMHO.

Get the patch. Install it.

Have fun.

11. JLSheesley

JLSheesley New Member

Unless you can use tech weapons the Katana at a speed of 15 is about as fast as it gets for swords. The Ballanced sword at a speed of 18 is the best sword I can remember but I was a gunman and didn't use swords. The Pyrotechnic axe is a one hit kill for most early critters and all it takes is 20 in smithy and 8 in explosives so you can pick up a tech book or two for each and you are good to go.

12. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

There are two swords later in the game that you will get at the magic shoppes which are faster:
    - Sword of air
    - Balanced sword

13. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Torian Kells ancestral swordhas 25 speed. Kreggilans blade does about as much dmg as pyro axe and has nice bonuses. Dagger of speed has 25 speed but dmg 1-6.

You can shoot the spiders before you go into the forbidden pit btw.

Our Host!