Arcanum - Evaluation of the technical side.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dragoon, Jul 27, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

First of all Performance. Graphics's good but no one can tell that it's great. With graphics of this quality the game should run smoothly on my computer (Celeron 400MHz; Matrox G400 32MB; 196MB RAM) but it doesn't. When I scroll the town map it jumps bit by bit. There is no problem however when I scroll back the same way (ie. first scroll to the left then back to the right on the same path). No one will convince me that, especially in map mode, there are such astounding graphic effects which would justify such a buggy performance. It's just programmers' laziness who didn't want to optimize the code. It was the same with Fallout 2. Graphics nearly didn't change since the first part and new system requirements were horrendously higher. I also don't like this scroll limit (in the main game window). I mean that yhou can't just scroll to the other end of the site and order your character to go there but you have to scroll bit by bit (if I remeber correctly the same thing was also present if both Fallouts).

The whole menu system sucks. Why can't you just right/double click on an object to examine/read it but you have to drag it onto the egzamine icon instead?

NPCs - What's wrong with those guys at Troika Games that they cannot give you full, commonly implemented in RPGs, control over NPCs (some will remember that similiar restrictions were implemented in Fallout 1&2 games). How are you supposed to develop your party members in such a way that they will be able to perform as a certain 'piece' of your team (doctor, thief, fighter). Especially that you are even unable to for example give healing potions to a party memeber witha highest heal skill so that he could use them on you. At least I didn't find a way.

Again the map - Why aren't there marks on the map describing what is in a certain building (like the map system from Plancescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II)? Why can't you even put your own marks on it? Even when you click on a shop sign it isn't automatically placed on your map. Or to be precise sometimes it is and most often it is not.

Journal - I wonder which idiot decided that a green color is well legible (regarding the color in which completed quests are pesented)? Again I found no way to put in my own notes. The blue one isn't the greatest choice either.

This whole charisma and Max followers issue also sucks. You get ONE mere characteristic point to spend per level and it leads to a situation when you have to spend it on charisma while the are dozens of other characteristics/skills that you want to develop. I found not a single word in the manual which would hint you that you might be getting more points as you advance in levels or have a higher intelligence. And since 50 is the maximum achieveable level it means that you will get no more but only those 50 points throughout the whole game. If you add to it the aforementioned flawed NPC develpment issue you will see how extremely it sucks. although I must admit that it adds some realism but it is simply poorly implemented.

One of the most important issues. You can die definitely to easily. I approached that stupid fight at the bridge some 20 times before I finally succeeded. They simply didn't balance the game. Furthermore imagine how will it be to fight some 10 enemies in real time. They'll whack you in no time. Turn based mode is somewhat buggy.

To sum up it seems that the guys at Trika did it again. A game with great story and gameworld but also with a screwed technical side. Unless they change it before the game ships. Not much time left for that however.

Exscuse me for using the 'sucks' word so often but I wasn't sure whether usage of 'stronger' words, better fitting the matter, is allowed in this forum.

One more thing. That final fight in the old Elven graveyard, proceded by a plane chase, where Virgil turns out to be the main villain is just awesome:))))))) Note: This is just a JOKE, in case someone overreacted and wrote to the moderator to ban me for placing spoilers. I'm simply checking whether you didn't fall asleep while reading this post.

2. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

At Milo's request ;)

I agree, there must be some shocking code in the game to make those slow downs.

That would be a good idea. Perhaps you could post this in the Arcanum 2 Suggestion forum as well?

Ehhh.... No. I'd rather have my guys do what they think. Control over them in combat I don't prefer. I don't mind it in some games, but I like the Fallout games because it makes my NPCs seem real. I just loved it when Ian opened up and took out Dogmeat. Sure it pissed me off, but there were times when I made thesame mistake too. So Ian is forgiven.

This would be good too.

I think the colours are fine. I just think an easier way to flip through all bloody pages of the darn thing would be better. It's so damn hard to find a quest at times and clicking alll the way through to find it isn't that enjoyable.

The manual was shonky. It doesn't even have a contents page!

I actually found the system quite interesting. Getting only one point per level meant you really had to specify what you wanted to be. Creating an all round character was difficult. At the start, you had to focus on certain skills so you could survive.

I think the combat system needs an over-haul.

:nod:

I'm not sure about this. Hey Calis, Jinxed? Any limit on the f**king language were f**king allowed to f**king use here?

Oh by the way, welcome to the fourm Dragoon :wavey:

I hope you stay here for a long time so that we can celebrate your joining day in a years time!

3. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

|+|NPC|+| Non player character. Why would you want to control them? You would have to change their type first. In BG, you have your main character, and the rest which you control. And they are not considered as NPCs in any way. The people you meet are. In Arcanum, you get to have NPCs join your party. AND thank god you don't get to control them. I really don't see what you are fightning for dragoon. I've seen this argument of yours before.

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Why on earth did you dig out that one Jinxed?? :-? Is it related to happy join day thread?

As for controllable or not NPCs I'm really tired of that argument. My opinion, as posted recently in Arcanum 2 ideas forum is:

Unless someone can actually program good follower AI make them mindless puppets and give players script editor. Seriously, independent characters act so dumb so often I prefer (mundane though) being able to hold their hand.

That's my opinion and please don't drag me into discussion on that subject.

6. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Only now did I read DU's post so it is related to that thread. I must admit I have changed some of my views since then. Especially on the Max Follower limit and only 50levels. That actually makes you plan your development rather than creating super human too easily (like in BG series).

EDIT - Now off I go to pick on other regulars' first posts.

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Dragoo, but that's the idea, they ARE supposed to be dumber that you. The game would be too easy otherwise. Think about all the times whrn Magnus suddenly decided to HACK YOU INTO PIECES cause you are attacking decent folk or what not. I would like to see more path search nodes though. Those bums keep getting stuck somewhere.

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Those were decent pigs in my case. Or decent door if you had Sebastian on your team.

Hey Jinxed, have you missed my email about avatars?

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Yeah, Jinxed, something needs to be done about this potty situation before someone makes a horrible "That's the pot calling the pot brown" joke.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I mentioned that in a thread I made about being back. perhaps you missed it...

11. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Yep I missed it. So are you going to change anything or not? Btw what are the post counts for Safeguard of the Wild, 36 Shot rifle and Headgear?

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

The Ranks:

Untrained 0
    Apprentice 10
    Journeyman 25
    Expert 50
    Master 100
    Lord 250
    Ornate Flintlock 400
    Ageless Blade 550
    Clockwork Medic 700
    Technological Marvel 850
    Bottle of Salvation 1000
    Magick Flying Blade 1150
    Safeguard of the Wild 1300
    36 Shot Rifle 1500
    Vision Enhanced Headgear 2000

Waddaya wanna change?

13. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Now that I see these post counts - nothing it seems. I thought that post counts for higher avatars were left unchanged which would mean no armor or 36 rifle up till well over 2000 posts. Current ones are pretty much ok - good job. :thumbup: 200 posts with decent armor and then kickass 36 rifle for no less than 500.

Now I have a dillemma though. Should I:

1. Start whining for a custom avatar (I'd have to ask DU for a few lessons)

or

2. Spam ;) quickly through salvation bottle and magick blade :puke: (ok, it's not THAT bad but I don't like the inner part of it), enjoy armor and boast of 36 rifle, then ask for a custom av after 2000posts.

A tough choice indeed.

Our Host!