Graphical Problem Please Help

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by piff133, Aug 17, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. piff133

piff133 New Member

I just formated C:/ but left Arcanum untouched by the format by installing it on my other harddrive. I went to play, and everything showed up fine, until my game loads. Every square in that grid they call the ground is cut in two triangles, from top left corner to bottom right corner, with the lower triangle (the one with the arrow) being just black. Also, the objects in the game (trees, barrels, people, buildings, basically everything) are not blending with its surrondings, where everything should blend, it's just black. The top bar, the one with the time and current spells, is normal, along with all of the subscreens and the bottm bar with the descriptions with the skills and all.
    I have downloaded and installed the 1.0.47 (I beleive that's the one) and also uninstalled and reinstalled the game. The game runs fine otherwise, as a matter of fact, I went back and did my favorite pastime like this, which is kill everyone in Tarant.
    Thanks in advance-piff133.

2. Balston

Balston New Member

It has to do with your video card......download the latest drivers. If that doesn't help you can run in safe mode. Beware though, safe mode seems to slow the game down to the point where it is almost unplayable when you are in populated areas. i have heard that it is a memeory problem, but i only have 128 mb of ram, so if you have more it may work for you. :cool:_

3. piff133

piff133 New Member

Thanks for the help, I have 98 Mb of RAM. I'll check and see what I can do about some new drivers for my video card.

EDIT: Did Arcanum come with a file to configure video preferences? I looked in the Arcanum folder but nothing I looked at worked.

4. piff133

piff133 New Member

Found the problem, I think, when I put Windows back on the computer, I forgot to replace the video drviers! I can't beleive I was that stupid. But replies are always wecome, as that may not work.

5. Balston

Balston New Member

That sould be your problem...just load the drivers and you should be good. The only place I know that you can change video prferences is in the options menu and they pretty much suck. Anyway good luck.

6. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Its either a video card or a configuration problem. On one computer I have 190 mb of ram and I have this problem (it works in safe mode) but on another computer I have 128mb of ram and a really lame processor yet I dont get the problem. The video cards are different so I think thats the problem. (I dont know what the video cards are though).
    The game runs fine, except for killing enemies behind trees and finding the chests in the crash site.

Our Host!