"Useless" Secret Locations

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Settler, Aug 6, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Settler

Settler Member

Do the Ancient Shipwreck (not the sub on the I O D) and the Secret Village add to the game in any way? There's nothing at the AS, and heaps of Kite Shamans and two dead bodies in a fairy ring at the SV.

Anything?

2. backstabber

backstabber New Member

at midnight there will be skeletons there and they sometimes have kathorn ctystals and gold

3. Kinnicus

Kinnicus New Member

the secret villiage was a homage to the smurfs

-Steve

4. Settler

Settler Member

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've got a teacher at school that I think IS Papa Smurf...

5. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Can anyone tell me wher the Shipwreck and The Smurf Village are?

The only "useless" site I have found is a "Wolf Cave".

The only thing there was a lock-pick (which I already had!).

The screams of agony of those poor wolves still haunt me during the night ...

Coming to think about it, the cries wolves make as they pass on to a better life IS quite annoying. I ache for them ...

I mean, monsters, I understand. But why kill innocent, likeable anymals like the Canis Lupus?

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The wolf cave isn't a useless location because it contains all sorts of goodies, like dynamite, lockpicks, gold and gems, as well as (I think) a magick weapon/item or two.

The useless places, like the secret meeting place and the ancient shipwreck, serve no purpose whatsoever, except to pay homage to certain things, like little easter eggs.

The shipwreck is on the eastern coast above Ashbury, and the secret meeting place is in the north of the glimmering forest, near the bedokan village somewhere. (you can only get here later in the game so don't worry if you can't get there yet.)

7. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Well,
    I still think that it is kind of useless.

Gold, Gems, and Magical Items I get ... uhm ... acquire in the towns.

I didn't run naked through Tarant to not use my skills, did I?

I still wish that there was a way to Dance With Wolves without killing them.

Maybe a "Wolf Smell Lotion" would be fun.

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Never been a chemist have you?

That's what the animal scent is for.... :roll:

9. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Also there is an Animal Charm spell.

10. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

I'm just a Gigolo, and every were I go ....

(any one remember David Lee Roth?)

Nope.
    Never been a chemist or magician (in Arcanum).
    I just began 2 weeks ago as a good thief.
    In AD&D terms, I would consider my character a Ranger.

11. Kinnicus

Kinnicus New Member

heh, yeah I rememebr DLR, but I liked sammy more

you should be a straight-up techie, maxing out firearms/smithy/mechanical.
    I cheated after I reached level 50 and got maz out on electric/smithy/demo also

-Steve

12. piff133

piff133 New Member

How could you not like the wolves? They make an almost deafening noise after all being blown up at once with a stick of dynamite. And about the skeleton thing at the Secret Village, will they be there before or after you maul the Kites?

13. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

The skeletons are in the shipreck, the kites (smurfs) are in the secret village.
    Theres a fan graveyard somewhere and the blind old master place is a bit useless aswell unless you want to ruin the game with the 6th most powerful weaopn (pyro axe, blade launcher, tesla gun, axe of lost time, drochs warbringer

14. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

There are many useless (ie not quest/sidequest related) areas in Arcanum that you simply have a chance of running by. There are only a few (non unique even) itmes in those places. Blind Master is an exception and there's one or two easter egg locations. Personally I'd like more villages where you can get quests - like Shrouded Hills.

15. Luinil

Luinil New Member

i agree, although they did do a fairly good job of making a believeable structure of citys, towns, ports, and kingdoms in arcanum, i find it hard to believe there wouldnt be more mining towns and the like around, especially the eastern part of the continent where there are many locations, but not really many cities. all in all, it would be nice and make the game better, but not by an incredible amount.

16. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

As for the northern part of continent (beyond mountains) I can understand there are no cities/villages there as it is mostly unexplored. However there should be some sort of poachers village. After all Bedokan leader tells you that "they were shooting from metal wagons (or whatever he calls trains) at his people"; since there are no Bedokans south of mountains and no railroad north of mountains he story doesn't fit. There should be some villages or even a small town in Caladon's vicinity. There's only Roseborough and it doesn't seem like a lot for a part of continent with one of two most important cities in all Arcanum on it.

17. Ferret

Ferret New Member

He was talking about trains? I just thought he was talking about normal wagons (wild west style) so they could take the skins back with them.

There's plenty of them in Arcanum.

18. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

If I remember correctly he said something about "firey, steel, things on wheels" to which your character said somehting like "it sounds like they fired from trains". I don't remember it well so I might be mistaken.

19. Ferret

Ferret New Member

On mine, it's always said something like 'they came on wagons' and my character has said 'yes, sounds like poachers. Sorry.'

Maybe I've just not been intelligent enough (+20) or have always clicked on a different speech path to you?

20. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Like I said I don't remember and I deleted my saved games too :( Moreover this time I'll play evil sorceress bitch character (I'll try to at least) so it might be different (I was usually goodie tech dwarf).

Our Host!