Freedom Farce

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Jul 30, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

It's pretty old now. It may not be all that good. It's not an RPG or decent strat - just a squad-based tactical. BUT - it lets you create you own heroes! My head is buzzing with ideas for meshes and skins. If only I had the artist ability to back them up - there would be several new superhero (or villain) teams on the block, starting with TA regulars.

How about helping me out and telling me how you think each of the regulars would pan out as a hero/villain in terms of:
    • Is he or she a villain or a hero?
    • What are the main powers/weaknesses (complete with catchy names)
    • What are their origins?
    • What might they look like, including costume.

As far as I can remember, the regulars currently include:

Jarinor
    Jinxed
    Retard
    Quethim
    Rosenshyne
    Sheriff Fatman
    Milo
    Dragoon
    Ferret
    Threedogs
    Qilikal
    Kozmo_Naut
    MrNobodie
    Maniac
    Calis
    DarkUnderlord
    Notorah
    Etalis Craftlord
    Gamenut
    Nbrosz
    Slagger
    Dennis Moore

Maybe each person could describe their own alter-ego?

Sorry in advance for the ones I have missed or mis-spelled.

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Milo should wear red spandex. and a top hat made of forks, as per my dream.

3. Maniac

Maniac New Member

Freedom Force is a cool game!

I should be a black cloaked villain. My stats: all 10 :D (seriously I don't know what they should be for me). I don't feel too artistic about creating my powers.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

*sigh*

Overpowerful again Maniac? :roll:

5. Maniac

Maniac New Member

You know what a joke is right Ferret?

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Yes I do.... check my previous post! :wink:

7. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

Errr relly not that good. He would eb a cowardful vilian(rincewind) Good boots so it would be easy to run away. Bad english. Dressed all in black with bad hair and a large pondus. My weapon would be my dangerous breath and my smelly farts.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Qilkatal, that smelly breath and farts should be my power. If we were basing that on real life that is. We are basing it on our forum personas though. It would be egotistical (and probably inaccurate) of me to try and describe myself, because I undoubtedly see myself differently than other people do. So I'll stick to others.

Jinxed should look like an uptight judge of some sort, and have some sort of gavel throwing power which banishes enemies to a different board, er, dimension. He should also have some sort of shielding power to represent his protection by the laws of society. Something like a "Bible Block", even though he isn't religious. However, he should also be weak to hallucination type stuff (if you can do that) because of his previous...problems. Okay, maybe that's getting too personal.

Milo needs to wear spandex and leather, in a suggestive manner, because a) Rosie apparently dreamed it and b) It's just funny. He should "nugitise" people.

I'll add more later. Oh yeah, WELCOME BACK SHERIFF FATMAN! How was the rellies visit?

9. Sheriff Fatman

Thanks. It was excellent. Once again, I saw more of London during someone's short visit than I have during the whole time I've lived here. It really is a tourist Paradise.

I also had a weekend in Paris, which is like London but cleaner and more spaced out and ... er ... less comprehensible to English-only speakers.

I like your idea for Jinxed. An uptight judge would be a cool superhero. Banishment powers make sense. I also think he and Rosie should be a kind of dynamic duo.

Milo should be "The World's Scariest Pervert" in spandex and leather, as you say. His powers might include:
    • Creepy Comment: with one outrageous utterance, he can make crowds pause thoughtfully for a moment (then shudder)
    • Sum of All Knowledge: with an inquiring mind and a decent net connection, Milo effectively knows everything any other human knows.

Needless to say, he is a villain. His battle cry should be "I'm a dirty bastard."

10. BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS

BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS New Member

Freedom Force Blows.

Freedom Force blows.
    This is one of the worst games I've ever played.
    Alot of "try-until-you-get-it-right"/puzzle missions, some weak no-effort graphics, SOOOOOOOOO LINEAR LIKE YOU AIN'T EVER SEEN, and just boring (funny cutscenes/comic-humor stuff, though).

Very disappointed in Irrational Games, I expected better from them.

Oh, and you can't create your own character and play with them in the game until you are like 2/3rds of the way through the game (the single-player game, of course)---talk about false-advertisement!

The game was so linear that is practically played itself!

Good idea for a game, it was stable, but it needed at least A YEAR of more work done on it.
    Just look at the HORRIBLE AI.
    I've played old DOS-era games with AI 10x smarter than this (Terra Nova, for example, which was also made by Looking Glass Studios from which Irrational Games partially came from).

It's really a $10 bargain-bin game or a $20 Nintendo-game in my opinion.

11. Sheriff Fatman

I agree about the linearity, but then it IS a squad based tactical, not an RPG or strategy. Missions are played progressively.

A couple of your points:

I'm on Mission 8 and have just been given the ability to use my own characters. I certainly hope I'm not 2/3s of the way through the game yet.

A patch was released two days ago affecting AI (how mobs react to physical events, I think). Dunno if this would help you.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game. Yes, it is too heavily trial and error and no, I haven't discovered any tactical depth, yet, but it is something a little different.

Points in its favour:

• I get to direct battles without managing buildings/resources/troop generation.
    • It is not fantasy.
    • I don't walk every mission first attempt.
    • I CAN MAKE MY OWN HEROES!

Now, does anyone out there know how I can acquire the powers of "Photoshop Use" and "Artistic Competence" I need to make my skins worthwhile?

12. Maniac

Maniac New Member

13. Milo

Milo New Member

Easy, you go to The Well of Spousal Knowledge and drink deeply of it's waters. Then you slip on a radioactive turd and fall off the planet, going through Space Cloud X which encircles the earth's upper atmosphere where you get bit by a spider sending you hurtling groundwards where you land in a vat of chemical waste. Instead of killing you, this will mutate you. Not in the extra fingers way, but in the buffed out, skin tight, photoshopping hero way.

BTW, you guys are mean, man. Your words of steel cut straight to the bone. With a name like Milo, I'm a sidekick at best. Like Arnold from The Tick. Out of all of us, only three super-hero type names stick out. Sheriff Fatman is a good guy because he has "Sheriff" right there in his name. Jinxed could be good or bad, and most likely female. "Jinxed" just sounds like a name that some horny comic book artist would give to his hot-16 year old asian girl concept art.

And the bad guy? Dark Underlord.

14. Sheriff Fatman

Tune in next week for the further exciting adventures of Jinxed and her butt-quivering sidekick, Milo, as they face the dastardly DarkUnderlorrrddddddddddd!

15. Milo

Milo New Member

For what it's worth, I read some user review at pcgr.com that said there was about 20 missions overall. The reviewer also said that it seemed like 20, but he wasn't sure because they weren't numbered.

I'm getting the game now (or soon), so maybe if I can overcome my crushing laziness I can do some skins or something. I've never tried doing anything like that before; I didn't even know Photoshop could be used for that kind of thing. I thought you needed to use a 3d program like 3d Studio Max or Lightwave. Oh well, I'll check it out.

16. Maniac

Maniac New Member

I think there are more than 20 missions. I'm about in the 20th mission (didn't count) & the story doesn't seem to be so near the end. It's more like only the second half is tarting! COOOOOOOOOOL!

17. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

Maniac strikes me as a sort of rabid weasel with dillusions of grandeur... maybe a villian, more likely a villian wanna-be... nothing against you personally, Maniac :p just stating my mental image...

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Sheriff, I'm pretty sure you can get skins online somewhere. I think I've heard about it somewhere before, but I'm not entirely sure. Ask around the official forums, I'm sure someone has made a skin somewhere that suits your needs...

19. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

Try Yahoo, i bet some of the sites there have some skins. Or so they say...

I'm gonna go download a demo of this game so i can see what it's like.

20. Sheriff Fatman

Jar and RK, there are skins and meshes aplently, but noone (for some indiscernable reason) has decided to make TA regular skins for us.

Milo, you might need the 3D software for meshes and you would need it for mods, but skins are just weirdly laid out images. Here's how easy they are: I reckon I could produce one myslef using photoshop, assuming you want One Solid Colour Man.

Anyone who is interested might want to check out Alex's Freedom Fortess or other sites. There are many.

Our Host!