making a techy

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by legolas, Jul 11, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. legolas

legolas New Member

ok i just beat the game with my elf mage, and i wanna do the exact opposoite end of the spectrum, with a dwarf techy.
    for tech disciplines, ill wanna start out with explosives, gun smithy, electricity, and probobly smithy or mechanical. for skills ill need probobly 1 point in melee and dodge, just for back up, definitely firearms, throwing for some of the explosive weapons, and probobly a few others. for stats, ill need dexterity, perception for ranged weapons like the explosives and guns, intelligence to master all the different degrees, maybe a few in strength cause ill need to carry a lot.
    i hope i have it pretty much covered, but im sure i could use some help, so please tell me all the different stuff some of the techys out there usually invest in :D

2. Arachnid_Boy

Arachnid_Boy New Member

You have a lot of good Ideas, but you don't have enought skill points to do it though. I personally recommend (For starting techs, anyway.) Explosives, or Mechanical Disiplines. Anything else, and you will need a Charisma of 9. You see, In order to beat Lukran, you will need Motolovs, or Traps. (I made a mine field with those thing and then shot Lukran. He hit to traps and was dead. His buddies took out 5 before they droped.)

But if you take something else like Gunsmithy, you will need Sogg Med Mug, a local-drunk-Orge. He is very powerful, and will be able to help you kick Lukrans sorry butt.

My personal favorite is Mechanical. Mechanized Arachnids are very helpful (if you get them early in the game). And even If you get them late in the game, They can still work wonders in a pack of 4, with a Medical Arachnid to back your health up.

Since your going to be a Technologian, I would recommend as well that you begin raiseing your intelligence as soon as you start the game. You WILL need it.

Also, I should warn you, the first few battles outside Shrouded Hills will be hard, as a Technologian does get very strong, until about level 10. So work hard toward it. Good Luck!!!

A_B

3. legolas

legolas New Member

so for the first 5 points that you create your character with, should i just get disciplines and firearms skill and maybe dodge skill, and then once i actually start invest in certain stats and skills ?

4. Arachnid_Boy

Arachnid_Boy New Member

Well you could, but don't forget that guns aren't the best road for every one. You will need some thieving skills to steal the money to buy the bullets/bateries/fuel (depending on what you plan/want to do). You can also be a Melee base Technologist. This would be when you use like a sword and stuff like that.

What I did was put 4 points in my Mechanical Disipline, and the last one in my INT.

I also have a theory, but I have tried it. :roll: I was thinking, if you put all 5 point into Intel, and had chosen Sickly as your background, you would have an INT of 19. That means in 6 Level ups, you could master any Technological degree. You could try that if you want to, but its just a theory.

A_B

5. legolas

legolas New Member

that sounds good, but im sure itl have a great consequence on some of the stats like dex. strentgh, constitution, etc.

6. Settler

Settler Member

If you're a gunslinger, it really doesn't matter what your strength is. I'm up to Tulla, and I still have 5 strength and 3 constitution. I've also got 3 Dodge, Maxed out Firearms and Persuasion, and all Gunsmithy techs. I generally beat anything before it reaches me (with my Elephant Gun), so I don't need anything else.

7. Kinnicus

Kinnicus New Member

I never chose magic, Always a technologist, thats the way to go. I was however dissapointed with the lack of good weapons in the game, so many good ideas, but so little strength.

-Steve

8. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

:minigun: If you want to play a demi-god dwarven tech, the ultimate blessing quest is an absolute must, go to dimensions of arcanum to get the skinny on this quest and the order the offerings to the various god's need to be made, while your at it make sure you get the "all the known locations map" of arcanum so you can find all the altars. The benefits of the ultimate blessing are unreal, so if you plan carefully right from the start your character will be devistating...Enjoy!

9. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Just thought I'd point out that there are better locations/quest info/walkthrough, or whatever, on this site.... :razz:

10. Loki

Loki New Member

I never tried it, but heard that prowling is rather useful, for budding sniper enthusiasts.

Our Host!