Why the "Mature" rating?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Argoso, Jul 31, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Argoso

Argoso New Member

I've been wondering about this for a while: Why did Arcanum get an "M" for mature rating (US version)? I honestly don't think that there's anything in the game that wasn't in Baldur's Gate II: SOA (which only got a "Teen" rating), including gibbing (exploding into chunks upon death), alcohol, language, and sexual themes. In some ways, I think BG2:SOA was actually worse. Example: At one point, you have a quest where you buy two kids beer and swords. Anyways, the "M" rating for Arcanum seems a little...extreme :-? .

2. Loki

Loki New Member

I think the developers begged the ESRB "Can we have that rating please? We want anything to make Arcanum look cool, having that aura of inaccesibility."

I guess there are more death animations (limbs falling apart, chunks of flesh sometimes scattering about, heads being lopped off, blood oozing after being disposed) than Baldur's Gate (at best on the receiving side of a 'critical' hit, the small sprite 'gibs' into nothing, could have been as well some stone breaking into pieces). There are more ways of getting laid (including bestaility) in Arcanum whereas SoA there are no brothels, limited ways of going about only with the desginated 'romantic' interest. Also maybe the dialogues referring the main character as 'dog' or any different kind of dialogue that is threatening or abusive are more plentiful in Arcanum than SoA, in my opinion.

Our Host!