"Goldmember" Movie review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bryant1380, Jul 30, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Not as funny as the second. The second, in my opinion, was the funniest, due partly to the introduction of Fat Bahstard. (Oops. Not in the Bah-ing thread....) Goldmember himself wasn't funny, and he even was gross. Yes, grosser (is that a word?) than Fat Bastard. "Goldmember"was overall the most plush, most visually striking of all three, but the least funny in my opinion. Now as far as babes go, Elizabeth Hurley, goddess extroidanaire. Heather Graham, good-looking, yes, but a terrrrrrrible actor in "The Spy Who Shagged Me." But I've just got a thing for Britney and Beyonce. I was extremely worried going in that Beyonce Knowles was gonna be a bad actor, but she did worlds better then Heather Graham. And the small appearance by Britney was grrrrrreat. Anybody else seen it?

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

3. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

The first one was enormous, enormous fun, and the sequel was good as well, but i never have high expectations for the third one in a series. But i hope it's good...

4. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. It was good for a laugh. Just not quite as many as the previous two. But hey, the bare midriffs and bountiful bosoms of the beautiful, bubbly, buxomous Britney and Beyonce as they boldly bounced around brought big smiles¹ all around.

¹Yes, smiles. Not from me, however. I was busy thinking of my wife whenever these two entered the screen. Really.

5. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

the second one was the best... goldmember just seemed like alot of recycled jokes from the second one... not that it wasn't funny :p i laughed my ass off. but it could have been better. and goldmember was gross. very, very, VERY gross.

6. Deadly Bread

Deadly Bread New Member

It was mostly recycled jokes, but then there were the jokes about how they were all recycled jokes (ie. Ozzy), overall it was quite comedic. I especially liked how screwed up the ending was, and how ittle sense it made.

7. Milo

Milo New Member

I liked "Goldmember". Both the movie and the character. He was gross, but still funny if for no other reason than I now apply his accent to everything Calis has ever posted here or said on IRC.
    Beyonce was hot but nowhere near as hot as Heather Graham. She's the best of the three. Granted, her acting was horrible, but that's not exactly why she was chosen for the role. I'd put Beyonce after Fook Yoo and Fook Mi in hotness.

The inevitable MiniMe vs. Austin battle was as funny as the last one. For some reason, seeing a grown man beating up a midget gets me rolling.

So yeah, I liked it. Maybe the second one was funnier, but Goldmember holds it's own. It's definitely better than the first one; The least funny IMO.

8. Calis

Calis Member

I watched Goldmember last night. I'm pretty sure I'd place it below number 2.

For the record: Dutch people DO NOT sound like that. For a really bad Dutch accent, try to get your hands on some audio footage of our former prime minister, Wim Kok.

Besides, I did a bilingual high school (meaning I got about half the courses in English) so I'm practically accentless... Ask Milady on IRC if you don't believe me. :p

9. Sheriff Fatman

I find people often have an inaccurate view of their own accents. I bet people here would think you have an accent.

For some reason, the Dutch accent has a little comic potential for Brits. There was a female presenter of "The Games Network" satellite channel that used to crack me up with her commentaries, even though I've had a fair amount of exposure to the Dutch accent through various friends. Then again, I freely admit my own accent sounds horrendous whenever I step outside London. There's plenty of potential for mockery in my inability to say water, butter, window or yellow.

10. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i think arizonans probably have the most accentless english in the world... our only problem is the tendency to stretch vowels, and the common use of the word "y'all"

11. Milo

Milo New Member

To us they seem accentless, but to the rest of the english speaking world, I imagine they sound "american". Or maybe not, how would I know?

When the rest of the world thinks "stereotypical american accent", they probably think of either Noo Yawk or Southuhn Gentleman. And maybe stoner california duuude. Like the stereotypical Brit either has an "oi oi oi gunvnah" or a "my butler, jeeves" accent in the minds of alot of americans.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. The vast majority of all english speakers¹ are intelligible and normal sounding no matter where they're from.

¹Except Aussies. No one can like that accent.

12. Calis

Calis Member

You're probably right. I've been told I kinda sound American, but most of those remarks were from people who would, in all fairness, tell me I'm accentless because they (seem to / pretend to) like me. Regardless, I'm 100% sure that:
    1. My accent isn't anywhere near as bad as that of the average Dutch person (ex- prime minister Wim Kok)
    2. I, and all the other people around here,
    DO NOT FUCKING SOUND LIKE GOLDMEMBER.

13. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I never really thought about this before. Usually, when I read a post, I read it in "my own way". Meaning in my head, with my voice. Never really thought Calis should have a dutch accent, Sheriff Fatman sound like a brit, Jainor Australian (although, that's mine anway) Rosenshyne female American.

I think I'm going to go read some posts and put on funny accents now... :D

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Perhaps that's because it's absolutely massacred by anyone who ever tries to do one. You just can't imitate an Aussie accent. It's not like a British or a Scottish accent, which can (not always though) be turned on and off almost at will. The 'Aussie' accent in Deus Ex is absolutely terrible. No one here sounds like that.

The thing with the Aussie accent is that it differs from region to region - the different stresses on different vowels and words leads most of the country to make of South Australians. The strangest thing though, is the English accent that posh or wannabe posh outback women have - the fact they are surrounded by some of the laziest speakers in the world doesn't seem to rub off on them, they talk the high society way (no, not the magazine you dirty people!) probably better than people from high society (so to speak).

After going to boarding school (where I lived with a lot of country people) my accent reflected it. After leaving boarding school, it returned to it's 'normal' state. I still have to consciously say the 'l' in Australia or Australian or anything like that.

To get a good idea of an Aussie accent, you have to live here for a while, and to attain one you have to live here even longer. Don't think the Aussies in movies are speaking in Aussie accents either - they're speaking in some other accent most of the time.

15. Settler

Settler Member

Hear, Hear. To my ear, some Australians have the most accent-less speech here, except for a slight 'Ostrayliya'. We call women women, men men, we occasionally say G'Day, but that's all. Steve Erwin has inflicted irreversible damage upon Australian culture, but the worst thing I've seen has to be 'Peanuts World Fact Book', or something like that. It has the peanuts characters (Charlie Brown, etc.) travelling around the world - but it had a list of 'Australian words' (that they thought were in use). Shivoo, Willywind, Sheila, the list goes on.

Help.

16. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

TV and Movies often fails to picture accents correctly. They either overdo it, do it half-assed, or get it completely wrong. They picture the accents the way people wants to hear them most of the time. Not saying all movies gets it wrong, some does a good job.

But it's hard to say, cause even a single country has many small accents. Denmark for instance has 5 or 6 different accents, and we're only 5 million people here.

17. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

All countries have several different accents. Someone from south Georgia like myself talks a little different than someone from north Alabama. (They say the words hair, air, and bear like hire, aire, and bire.)

Anyway, I have said before that Mick "Crocodile" Dundee was my hero. He really was. I've seen all three Paul Hogan movies, and fell in love with the Aussie accent when I first saw the original movie when I was like, oh, 10 years old. I disagree with whoever said it that no-one likes the Australian accent. I do. I even try to speak with an Australian accent from time to time. Of course, I am sure I am murdering it. :wink:

18. Sheriff Fatman

Accents are funny things. It is impossible, I think, to perceive your own as others do. Therefore, the person who sees clearest is likely to be the one most sensistive to the limitation of their own perception.

Jar, Aussies can be spot very quickly by most Brits, the exception being when they are confused for South Africans or Kiwis (or vice versa).

Anyone (with the exception of people with professional-standard talents) sounds ridiculous/off when doing accents in the presence of a native, even when all non-natives think it is uncannily accurate. FOr example, my brothers might think I do a good Californian, but a native would probably grimace or punch me.

There is no Brit accent. I suspect the same is true for many other countries. People from London think I sound fairly normal, if a bit common. People from outside London think I sound like a Londoner (often horribly and inaccurately - for my part of London - referred to as cockney). People from most other countries fairly often accuse me of sounding Australian, except Australians.

Lysa thought she had almost no accent before she came to the UK. People from New Orleans tended to agree with her. She kind of still believes it, but everyone here know she is American straight away. Perhaps there is such a thing as a regionally neutral accent (one that sounds accentless within a region), but - remembering the earlier assertion about the inaccurate perception of our own accents - the regionally neutral accent is not going to sound neutral to other regions.

19. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

heh, New Orleans... i've lived in either Cali or Arizona my whole life, but most people thinki come from --get this-- either New Orleans, or Kentucky. I don't get it. i think i'll give up trying to figure out what my accent is...

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Sheriff, most Aussies can pick Kiwi and South African accents up straight away, although I must admit, sometimes I get a little confused. We love to give them crap about their accents. I met someone once who was half South African and half Kiwi once...I had a field day with that person, gave them so much crap about it.

For the most part, Kiwi's/SA's/Aussies sound alike except for certain syllables. When trying to be sure, ask them to say "Apples" - Kiwi's will say "Ipples" as in nipples without the n, or ask them to say "Fish and chips" - they'll say "Fish and chups". It's really strange, and comical :D. There are other things, but those are the most common giveaways.

Our Host!