Little Problems with Arcanum that should be fixed in No. 2

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by DarkUnderlord, Jul 23, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Moke

Moke New Member

I've only played the game a little bit so far, but in addition to the things you've metioned, there are some things that really bug me.

-The background "music" is so repetitive... admitantly, repetition can be good sometimes, if the music is good, but this just isnt. ... now Xcom, they had some good background music!

-I pretty much HAVE to play turn based. I love fallout and their combat style, so I'm not really complaining here, but I do want to just try out realtime every once in a while. The problem when i do play realtime is that everything goes so fast. Everything happens sooo fast, by the time i move my mouse or finger to hit a hotkey, some ogre has hit me like 5 times w/ his "slow" axe. Is there a way to adjust the speed?

-I liked fallout in the cities where they had predefined "areas", and to get to the next "area" there was a nice little green shade. That way you knew you werent missing any part of town or anything special. It is nice to have the "continuous" feel in arcanum of wandering around with no barriers, but things becomes troublesome in large cities because its hard for me to figure out exactly where I've gone and where I need to go.. true, its more realistic, but for me its just a hassle.. I end up wasting precious gaming time making my character run back and forth around Tarant..

2. xento

xento New Member

Hey, I was just doing that a few minutes ago. I can get pretty annoying. Plus, I hate the layout of Tarant. I get something for the thieves underground (i.e. the Ring of Virtality) and then I want to deliver it, but there is only two ways over - both on the far sides of town! Those darn pools of sitting water not only make the townl look ugly, they block the way alot too.

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

What they should bring back from Fallout is the World Map/Town Map thing. When you first entered a town, you were brought to the start location, then you could wander around all you wanted. However, once you'd wandered around, when you came back to that city, you got to choose to go to an area you've been before. Like in BoS, if you've already been down to level 4, you could go back to BoS, the map would come up and you click on the "level 4" green arrow and bang, you're there. It's was a nice and easy way of getting to the place you wanted without having to actually be bothered walking there.

The Subway system in tarant is a nice idea but it costs gold and you still have to wander around to them all and remember where each one takes you. Tarant is also the only city with that system.

4. xento

xento New Member

5. Loki

Loki New Member

I also wish that they would be some improvement in AIs. It is either rush by heaps and bounds, and the AI's model of flight or fight is not even modeled well.

I would personally want to see a feature where you would have a choice of instantly bringing up the world map even within the town boundaries. It is rather annoying to make a roudabout trip to the entrance of the town complemented by a faulty waypoint system (now that is an entirely different matter, a nagging problem of its own)

6. xento

xento New Member

Good idea. Kind of like when you teleport - it just brings up the world map?

7. Loki

Loki New Member

Yeah, just bringing up the world map where you are just outside of the town will do. And I found out recently that with that Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion one cannot set waypoints more than once. Grrr.

8. Snobothehobo

Snobothehobo Member

I agree with most of these.

However, one that stuck out was #1. I must say that this would make the game too easy for us who want a challenge. (Even though there are only a few of us :roll: )

9. xento

xento New Member

Then we need more significant difficulty levels. Easy, Medium, and Hard. Easy: sewer rats lv 1, medium, lv 3, hard lv 5. Same basic prinicipal with everything.

10. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

You could split cities into zones but instead of a border you could do what they do in morrowind, but more clear now entering south side in the bottom of the screen real clear and an unfilled map forbig cities and markers like in the ever popular torment (those who've gotten past the alley of lingering sighs (not sure if thats right) and hates it deserves this pathetic exsistence of actually reading what I have to say) but only for major locations and would exist as an incredible zoom out of the standard screen and fog and markers for areas

11. Arconis Trava

Arconis Trava New Member

I think that all of you want the second arcanum to be like anpother fallout game. I think ur a bunch of idiots. Arcanum had a different feel from fallout, one i liked more, much much more. In fact i played fallout for like one hour, then i realized the whole game premise sucks and i switched back to arcanum.
    If you all want another fallout (and i know you do) dont whine about it on an arcanum fansite. Its terrible when i like to plough my was through all of the i love fallout crap when i want to talk about arcanum 2. I know im going to be bached for ,my ideas, but what i can i say its my story and im sticking to it.
    PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT.

12. cadaver

cadaver New Member

[quote="Moke]
    The Subway system in tarant is a nice idea but it costs gold and you still have to wander around to them all and remember where each one takes you. Tarant is also the only city with that system.[/quote]I can't take the subway
    every time I get some error that I am way to magical inclined :D
    (elf with 4 spells groups learned)

13. Cobrec

Cobrec New Member

What Arcanum II Needs

:) I never played The Fallout series, so I can not compare Arcanum to it. However, one thing that I wish for in the next Arcanum is the ability to find schematics a little easier. They are to rare, or maybe I am not looking in the right places? any way I think it would be neat if you could level in these skills (Apprentice - Master) , and magic as well, once you become a master, then you can create your own inventions and possibly spells. Defineately get rid of the junk items, the only thing they are good for is to sell and even then they are not much good for that. You should also get xp for making items, or repairing them.... doesn't this take skill? Arcanum is probably one of the best RPG I have played in a long time, however I pretty much agree that Arcanum II needs to fix many of the quicks listed in this thread. Geesh I didn't realize this post was so windy, Sorry

Our Host!