Arcanum 2: Arrowhead?

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Settler, Jul 20, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Settler

Settler Member

The year is 1903, and Arcanum is now in relative peace, after the so-called 'Kerghan Years', somewhere around 1885. Tarant and Caladon are now the ruling body, the *insert council name*, replacing the corruption and inefficiency of the Industrial Council. (This way, it wouldn't matter how you finishes the first game.

You have stumbled across an enormous, ancient engraved stone buried in the sands below the Crying Cliffs(?) (North of Bedokaan), now infamous for its shipwrecks (Dont ask me why you're here). On it, beutifully engraved, is some sort of message, that has, remarkably, stood the test of time, but in a foreign language. The only mark with any meaning is an arrow pointing North-West...

Looking up you see the young man that was wandering around further down the beach, digging in the sand, is looking at you with his Vendigrothian binoculars. He freezes, the begins to run towards you.

"Amazing." he says, then starts laughing. "Amazing!" he leaps into the air. "Oh, I'm sorry. Benedict Payne, nice to meet you. Fantastic! You, my friend, may have just proved a lifetime of research right!"

(Through dialogue options, he tells you about his hypothesis about an ancient race that either colonised or explored Arcanum.)

"We've got to inform the University! Quick, there's room for two!"

You hop into his automobile, a late-model, 1902 Vendy ( :D ).

"You do want to tell them, don't you?"

This is where you begin to make choices. What do you think?

2. xento

xento New Member

Question: Is this guy from Vendigroth? Vendigroth did rise again, you know, and it should have at least some mention in Arcanum 2.

3. Josh

Josh New Member

ancient race eh? In turns of ancient stuff, I'd love to see more about how the magical stuff created Elves and Giants and orcs from humans, would be nice, and why the Dwarfs went from the plains into the mountains, could be nice

4. xento

xento New Member

I can answer some of those in terms of LOTR. In LOTR, the evil lord created orcs as a twisted image of elves. As well as trolls from ents. Now, the dwarves love gold, rock, and precious stones. They also love to work. I think that their desire for these things drove them into the mountains. Plus, where did you hear they were from the plains? Under P. Schyler and Sons? Well, I this that was just a burial ground for those who were deformed and the dwarves though were not good enough to be buried in the mountains.

5. Josh

Josh New Member

Ahem (straightens his shirt) thats very nice (puts a glove on one hand) but I just have to say (slaps nbrosz with the gloved hand) bad! This isnt LOTR is it? is it!? no it's not! so you can explain it useing LOTR, and it says it in the manual for the game that the Dwarves one built above ground cities

6. xento

xento New Member

*Puts on dwarven gauntlet and punches Josh's lights out*

Reguardless, your idea is missing a good foundation.

Also, I could hardly understand what you said after you slapped me! Improve the vocabulary in that last line and maybe I will know what you are saying.

7. Josh

Josh New Member

Ok dumbass, listen closely, my point has a great foundation, the game clearly says that Dwarves lived on the plains and built above ground cities, then for reasons unknowen moved to the mountain, I'm think the sequel showed involve answering why they did it. no then, as for you explaining thins useing Lord of the Rings, The Game is not the same as Lord of the Rings, some great evil wizard didnt make the Orcs just to be mean, thats not what happend in the world of Arcanum.
    and the Dwaves under P. Schyler and Sons were not deformed, they were ancient dwarves, kinda like cavemen are to normal people.

8. xento

xento New Member

That deformed dwarf idea was just a suggestion! And the LOTR thing was just to remind you of where it says orcs came from. But I think my theory of why the dwarves moved to the mountains is pretty practical.

P.S. sorry 4 punching your lights out

9. Josh

Josh New Member

I know where the orcs came from in lord of the rings, but i want to know where they came from in Arcanum. it's a big mystery! elves, ocrs, and giants were made from humans, but how and way? thats the quest of Arcanum 2!

10. Ferret

Ferret New Member

Not exactly a statement useful for someone trying to argue against the suitability of using LotR as an analogue!

11. xento

xento New Member

Well, the manual does say it has some kind of magick frequency thing. But I dont think that Troika will go back to make a game like that. I mean, it doesnt matter how, it just matters that it did. I dont think they will spend big $$ on a game where you go and interview a half-evolved human.

12. Josh

Josh New Member

and why is that? It's not lord of the rings, therefor he cant explain it useing things from lord of the rings...so how does this effect my point?

13. Josh

Josh New Member

naw, see they say that the creation of those other species all came from a huge amount of magical power being unleased i think it would be interesting if the next game, some how explained what that was, it doesnt have to be set at that time

14. xento

xento New Member

15. Josh

Josh New Member

sure....wheee! arguing isfun!

16. Settler

Settler Member

He's the nephew of Franklin Payne, not sure where he lives, but it's not Vendigroth. Anyway, I made a point of putting in two Vendigroth Inventions.

17. xento

xento New Member

Ok. I asked because you said something about Vendigrothian bonoculars.

18. Moke

Moke New Member

instead of making the point of Arcanum 2 revolve around the mystery of how/why the magical races were formed, why not just have a book burried in some ancient library that you come across in Arcanum 2...

... while traveling across the wilderness headed towards your next destination in solving the main plot, you notice a few ruins. upon further inspection you find that you've discovered the remains of some ancient city. unfortunately all that seems to be standing, almost hidden in the dense vegetation, is what seems to be a library. you go in and find mostly rubbish.. the years have turned all the books in there to dust. you are just about to leave when you notice a soft glowing. you find it is an ancient book.. completely intact! It must have been protected against time by some powerful spell. you open the book. at first the characters are foreign to you, belonging to some long forgotten people, but soon they begin to take shape (some mage long ago REALLY wanted people to read this..) into recognizeable words. you slowly begin to read.... "hmm"... "ah".... "never woulda thought that".... and finally, "so THATS how the magikal races came to be!.. its so clear now."

thus ends the problem of how to incorporate that into arcanum 2

19. Settler

Settler Member

NO, no no no no. A2 absolutely has to include Vendy in a big way, or else I'll boycott the game and start my crusade of hate on Troika...

EDIT - I know your plot is just a very basic outline so far, but I sincerely hope you're joking. It's the mother of all RPG plot cliches...Troika will throw the real world into chaos if they even think about that.

20. Josh

Josh New Member

Moke, thats about the dumbest way to incorparate it, Settler, Vendigroth should be a part of the next game but it shouldnt really play huge role in it not only that....but how in Gods name does your character finding an arrow prove some research right? the writeing god just be this way to the toilet"

Our Host!