Startling Revelation!

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Ruelz, Jul 14, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

Ok, guys, check this masterpiece of puzzlework out:

I have an earlier post that questions why I can't get a particular dialogue to work. Dark Underlord wrote back and suggested ways to make it work, and so i tried it--and still to no avail. I spent the last three days and three nights on this, and over the course of this time have discovered something absolutely amazing:

Whatever you number the script and the dialogue, you must number the starting line of your dialogue itself!

No really! Check this out.

In my first dialogue (labeled 0002_Checkard), Checkard Lain, he WOULD NOT say line one of his greeting at all, and instead skipped driectly to line 2. I shot up line one as a filler line ({1}{G:}{G:}{}{}{2}{}) With a command on the end to go to line 2, and thought that was what fixed it.

But then I worked on this other dialogue, and no matter what i did, how I modified it, the guy ALWAYS started the dialogue off with one of MY options. This option would change as i tweaked it...but over time I realized a pattern: he ALWAYS spoke what was on LINE THREE, and his dialogue was labeled 00003_Errol.

Is this some sort of fluke? When the script calls a dialogue, does it call only the line number of the dialogue as well? If any of you have ever run into this before, let me know--but if anyone else was pulling their hair out and slowly losing sanity, I hope this revelation helps you out. Um...if no one else has experienced this, then...well, revel with me in the joy of having figured this out before I admitted defeat! :D

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shouldn't it be more like this: {1}{G:}{G:}{}{}{}{}

First pair of curly brackets is line number. Next two you write anything you want that guy to say. First line shouldn't have go to number. This line makes NPC to greet PC. Next lines are what PC can say. For example, this smithy dialog. This isn't whole dialog. And it is from AMTUT tutorial.

{1}{G:}{G:}{}{}{}{}
    {2}{What kind of goods do you sell?}{}{5}{}{20}{}
    {3}{W'at kinda stuff you sell?}{}{-4}{}{20}{}
    {4}{Can you repair something for me?}{}{5}{}{0}{ri}
    {5}{Me need some stuff fixed.}{}{-4}{}{0}{ri}
    {6}{B:}{}{1}{}{0}{}
    {7}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

Now, smithy's line is line number 1. Other lines are what PC can say. Line 2 is for PCs intelligence 5 or higher, 3 is for dumb PCs intelligence 4 or less. They have go to number 20, which means they call line 20. And then lines 4 and 5 call repairing screen, and they have go to number 0, which means it ends dialog. 6 calls barter screen and ends dialog. 7 just ends dialog.

3. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

nonono

you missed the point. I know how to dialogue. heck, i even cut and pasted parts of Amtut into my dialogue, to see if they would work! But in the case of the smithy one you included, if I had put that into my 00003 dialogue, the guy would have greeted me with "What kinda stuff you sell?" And then my options would only be what followed after that. in dialogue 4, I get "Can you repair something for me" when i click on him, instead of the greeting. That's what i mean by this whole thing being sort of weird--no one seems to ever have had this sort of problem before.

My computer is possessed!

4. HexRei

HexRei New Member

The problem could be with the script that is calling the dialog. Can you post the contents of your script file? Because your script file is what defines the initial line that your NPC opens with.

5. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yep, sounds like someone's making their scripts:

dialog 3
    return and skip default

This is why I'm re-writing Amtut. :)

dialog 1000

would start the dialogue file off at dialogue line 1000.

dialog 79

would start the dialogue file off at dialogue line 79 and so on.

dialog 1

Starts dialogue off with line 1 in the dialogue file.

6. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

Aaaahhhh... so I DONT have a possessed computer... this is good, I was really worried there for a second. Thanks, guys.

Is there a way to fix that without redoing all of the existing dialogue? If not, this is no biggie, I can just work with it the way it is.

Incidentally, and this is changing the subject a little, does anyone know a page or a link that would have help concerning the scripting required and dialogue necessary for quests?

7. DarkUnderlord

Well... I don't know about that... :D

Nope. You'll have to go through (well, as you said, you don't have to fix it, you can leave it as is), change all the scripts to "dialog 1" and the alter all the dialogue so that line 1 is what you want said. It shouldn't be too hard... But it is some mucking around.

Yes. Amtut... Once that part is written. :D At the moment though, no. I'd check the WorldEd Manual and read the section on dialogue codes though. Everything you need to know is actually in the manual, it's just not written in a tutorial style, user friendly way. Everything is there though.

8. HexRei

HexRei New Member

Theoretically, he shouldn't have to change both. The script file "Dialog X" number is rather arbitrary, and he can really choose to start his dialog at any line he likes. So unless he wants to make all his scripts uniformly start at 1 or some such, he only needs to change either the script file "X" number, or fix the dialog file. Not necessarily both.
    Hope that wasn't too confusing.

9. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

Hey, all kidding aside, after checking out AMTUT thoroughly, i noticed this little addendum at the bottom of part 4...a smaple quest. So thanks--I picked up literally everything I needed to know from it. It's great how one example leads to so much tinkering!

This is getting frustrating, though... It seems like everytime I make a breakthrough and sit down to get some serious mod-making done, i hit a NEW road block! How does ANYONE make a mod around here without A) losing most of their hair and b: getting checked for mental disorders!!?? I have this dialogue with quests and the whole 9 yards, and now the NPC has decided to up and buy a cloaking device! I can see them in world-ed, but not in arcanum. i remember reading SOMETHING about this problem, so I have gone through four pages of posts on this forum to try and find it, but I could not. So, as much as I hate to ask for help here yet again, I must inquire if any of you have had this problem, and how to fix it. i have re-created the NPC several times, tampered with the art, internal names, protraits, etc. (I promise, guys, I really do try everything i can think of befpre [pestering the forums.)

thanks again for all the help.

-Ruelz

10. HexRei

HexRei New Member

Did you set their (cant remember exactly what its called) Day and Night Stand points?
    Regardless of where you drag them to in WorldEd, they will always show up at their Day and Night stand points... those points are initially set to the first place that NPC is placed on the map when created, and thereafter, to move those points, you need to make sure the NPC is in the location you want him to be for his Day and Night stand, and right-click him, then select Day and Night stand from the right-click menu.
    It might not be called "stand", but it is definitely day and night...

For the purposes of explanation, just find the NPC in WorldEd, make sure you got him where you want him, right click him, look for something in the menu that says Day Stand and Night Stand, select each one, then Save, close, and fire up the game.

11. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

Don't worry--I knew exactly what you were talking about :D .

Unfortunately, it didn't work--I even revealed waypoints to make sure that all of my NPC's weren't travelling wayward without me. It's the weirdest thing--about 4 of them now--all new ones I created--don't show up. Nor does a treasur chest I made, if it helps pinpoint the problem any. I've made an mpty chest and loaded it myself, and IT is invisible in the actual game too!

Thanks for the tip, though.

12. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

Love overcomes all

Love for Arcanum.Love for Fallout .Love for Planescape Torment.
    Love for Divine Divinity.
    Hate for ID1
    Love for hard core RPG.
    If they are not making one soon you got to make your own.

I dont know how many time Arcanum crashed in the 500-1000 area and my PC crashed 10-50 before i learned the basic staff of Arcanum on my own without tutorials or anything .

But love true love overcomes almost anything just remember that .

13. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

heh. Yeah, if you mean what i think you mean... Love of the game is the only thing keeping me persistantly working at this.

So no one else has any idea how to fix this, if the simple changing the art thing doesn't work? Bummer drag. I've even, at this point, created an entire line-up of NPC's, giving them different armor and different set=ups, and none of them will appear in Arcanum itself. Ah, well. If I figure out what went wrong eventually, I'll let you know, so that if anyone ELSE ever runs into this, they'll know what to do.

14. DarkUnderlord

I'm gonna pull out the old "is there a dat" question. Here goes...

Is there a "NAME OF MOD.dat" file in your "Arcanum\modules" directory AND a directory like "arcanum\modules\NAME OF MOD". If there is both the dat file in module and the mod folder structure, it can mean things that are in WorldEd won't show up in Arcanum. Just delete the .dat file if or if you're using WOrldEd 1074, delete the folder structure.

15. Ruelz

Ruelz New Member

I really do love the sound my hand makes when it smacks into my forehead.

Thank you, once again my mod and I are in your debt.

16. DarkUnderlord

To the tune of $967 and 43 cents, payable by the end of the month. :)

Our Host!