Races and other stuff

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Raziell777, Jun 30, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

Well,it would be great if developers of game would make new races to choose from. In Arcanum we have: human,elf,half-elf,gnoume,halfling,half-orc and half-ogre. New races would be: Orcs, Ogres, Sirens (without fish tail :)), Ghouls(vampires),Crawlers(mysterius race who once lived with elves,but during the elven-dwarven war they simply vanished.)
    And there are more interesting things that I would like to see in Arcanum 2: better and improved magic colleges, weapons for mages(like staffs),
    more&more new items,and children! have you noticed that there are no children in the game!?!?! It would be fun playing as elven boy at age of 120!

2. Notharah

Notharah New Member

Yea that might be fun yes....... let's keep it in mind

3. xento

xento New Member

Great idea! Actually, I guess that is why it wont let you pick your age.... Maybe, you could pick your age and your character would look according to the age range (i.e. young age: short and small, teenager: taller, adult: tall and muscular, old: shorter then adult and somewhat weak looking). Also, maybe some of your stats could depend on your age range. Like this: Young - Because of your age, you like to move around alot. This causes a +2 DX, however, most people find you annoying, so this results in a -1 CH; Teen - You are getting older and now are a teenager. You like to have conversations and are very funny +2 CH, but you are rather lazy and have a negative to -1DX; Adult - You are at your full peak. You are strong +1ST and fast +1DX. You are also more tollerant to pain then when you were a child +1CN, however, you aren't as sure of yourself as you once were, resulting in a -3 WP; Old - You are quite old an are weak -2ST. You arent as fast as you were once -1DX and you cant stand much pain -2CN. However, you are quite wise from your long life. This results in a +5IN.
    How does that sound?

4. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

Yeah!!! I like that idea a lot! But when you are just a child your quests should be a bit different.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

5. xento

xento New Member

Ya, I know. I mean, I wouldnt ask a child to asassinate my father. It would be bad for his character :)

But, yes, you are right....
    It would almost force every age group to have a different ability as far as quests go. For example: the kids would work for Joungle Dunne (carrying packages) the old men would work for Willousbery (negotiating) the adults would work the normal hack-and-slash stuff and the teens would work for madam lil (ahem... no need to say why)
    Along with all of that (most of what I just wrote was a joke, ignore it) I noticed on Arcanum, that no matter how many years have gone by, your age never changes. Well, on the sequel (or prequel), your age should increase a year for every year you play. Also, you should be able to pick your birthdate, so that will be the time that your age will increase another year. You should be able to advance from one age level to another when you get older, as well as the stats changing (i.e. you r a child and have all the abilities and disabilites that the child age has, then, your age moves into the teen area, you loose all of the abilites and disabilites of the child, and adopt those of the teen)

6. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

And again,I agree!! No matter how long you play your character's age is all the same. I started the game with 200 year-old elf and finished it with the same age. 8) 8) 8)

7. Jasper_Chen

Jasper_Chen New Member

8. Jasper_Chen

Jasper_Chen New Member

let me think, what other races...females available for every race and mermaids, goblins, hobbits?, gods, robots, children, centaurs, angels, devils, mutants, and talking chimpanzees!

9. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

Hmmnnn....I find to myself that Ogres and half-orges are something like giants. But I like that idea about Giants(huge humans if you like). And then we could have Gobblins as well (Little creatures like gnoumes ).

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. xento

xento New Member

Yes, actually, hobbits are halflings, if you read all of J.R.R. Toilkien's Lord of the Rings books.

Also, according to his books, goblins are somewhat like orcs, with the same compassions as dwarves: They are ugly and slightly smaller then orcs, but live in mountains and love machines and fire. They are also, however, very evil. How about this for a goblin:

Being a goblin, you have the wonderful ability to see in the dark (unlit passages look like normal daylight) and you have a love of machinery and explosives (+10 tech aptitude: +5 mechanics and +5 explosives). You are also quite strong and fast (+2DX +2ST), but you are quite ugly (-3Beauty) and evil (-25 evil aptitude and it cant go any higher then -25).

Also, dont forget Trolls. Arcanum mentioned Trolls in one of their backgrounds. Perhapse, trolls could be the "giants". They could be big, ugly, stupid, and slow, but verry strong and have huge resistances to poison, damage, fire, and electricity.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage New Member

Most excellant! But not boy, no. He would prolly blow himselfs up with a dynamite... :D

12. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

From the DoA FAQ:

Q: Will there be children of all races, running around playing and basically just be in the way?
    A: No children of any kind in Arcanum. Certain countries have laws saying that you cannot sell a game that allows children to be killed. To avoid that a gutted version has to be sold there with the children ripped out, Troika decided not to put any in to begin with.

I imagine Arcanum II would have to be the same way...

13. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

OK..I agree with that. but have you ever played Fallout 1 and 2??? Similiar games,and yet,in Fallout you have children.But i suppose that there will be some kind of "adult filter" to prevent that scenes.

14. xento

xento New Member

That is true.... If you ask me, it wouldnt be too hard to make a special bunch of Arcanum 2s that had the ability to be a child disabled. It wouldnt take too long. And all of the special stuff for the children could be shipped out with the game unedited, but you would never encounter it due to the fact that you would never carry the correct variables for showing those parts.

15. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

OK,let's clear this out. I'm totaly against scenes with slaughter of children.I find to myself that this scenes are realy brutal and disturbing,and it's just a game and there should be "adult filter"(pariental watch) for those who don't want to see that. But, playing like a child would open whole new dimension of playing and children as NPCs woild make the game more interesting( i.e. Quest= find the lost children in the swaps of elven woods).

16. xento

xento New Member

Yup.... Remember on Vormantown? You search for that one elf's "lost son". His son looks like his father. Now THAT may be called family resemblance, but I like to call it lazy programming *ahem* *ahem* No offence to you Troika programmers out there. :wink:
    Anyway, yes, maybe, YOU cant be a child, but you can play quests involving children.... Also, the children could be invinsible (I have used WorldEd) so that they wont die.... Then there would be no child killing, right?

17. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

18. xento

xento New Member

Another thing about Arcanum, each race should look unique, so you dont have to put your cursor over him/her to identify him/her. Example: in Tarant, Mr. Willsbery and some other gnome in town looks skinny and small.... Why dont all gnomes look like that? Most gnomes look like halflings: really fat. ALL gnomes should look like the ones in Tarant (including when you play them). Plus, you cant tell a human, elf, and half-orc girl apart. They should have some distinct difference. Same with the male human and half-orc.

19. Maniac

Maniac New Member

well halflings can always pretend to be children...

20. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Well..yes, that's a good idea!! Why we still need children when we could have halflings and gnoumes as children.

Our Host!