Joy for Hotmail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkUnderlord, Jun 24, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yay, now my hotmail account is being used to forward spam onto other people. Going by the looks of this:

Mail Delivery Subsys... Returned mail: User unknown Jun 24 6k
    Mail Delivery Subsys... Returned mail: User unknown Jun 23 5k
    Mail Delivery Subsys... Returned mail: User unknown Jun 23 6k
    Mail Delivery Subsys... Returned mail: User unknown Jun 23 5k

All of these are the same message:
    Someone who knows more about this stuff then I do.... Please explain? Just what is going on here? And how can I take these mother-fuckers down? (Seriously, I very much would like to take these mother-fuckers down.)

2. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Don't use AOL, or interact with anyone who does.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

DU, does this mean that those Internet Detective vendors are spamming people from your account? That doesn't seem likely unless they have your password. Change you password, just in case.

It is possible (more likely, maybe) that they are not spamming from your account, but have your address as the reply address. For many mail client configurations, this would make the bounces come to you instead of them. If this is the case, you should try to set up some junkmail filtering (junk any mail including the phrase "Internet Detective" for example). You should also examine the mail header for the send address of the original mail, and report them to Hotmail and/or the mail provider/ISP they use. If they're mailing from their own SMTP server, you should be reporting them to some fraud agency, I suppose, but I'm not sure who.

Hotmail will probably be able to give you better advice. I believe that - against all expectation and evidence - they're quite keen on stopping this kind of nonsense.

Definitely follow Ioo's adivce, though. AOL are the toolmakers of the Devil.

4. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

5. gamenut

gamenut New Member

6. DarkUnderlord

Your real name is Allan A. isn't it Sheriff? That's exactly what he said:

Hello darkunderlord,

Thank you for writing to MSN Hotmail.

This is Allan and I am responding with regard to your returned mail. I
    understand your concern on having your address associated with unsolicited mail and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

I have researched your account and found that it appears you are the only
    person logging into it. For security, we would suggest changing your password and Secret Question/Answer at this time. A good rule of thumb is to change your
    passwords regularly.
    Someone has forged, your e-mail address as the 'reply-to' or "from" field on a piece of unsolicited e-mail. This does not require the person to log into the account. Most likely, it was either a typographical error on the sender's part."
    Should you have other concerns please feel free to contact MSN Hotmail Customer Support again.

Thank you for your time and patience in writing us.

Sincerely,

Allan A.
    MSN Hotmail Customer Support

Pretty darned good customer support I must say. I even get to "rate Allan's performance".....

I have searched, but have been unable to locate such a feature anywhere wihtin hotmail.com. They only have that stupid "Junk Mail Filter" crap that I can set to low, medium, high or exclusive. It's on low, because anything higher and I always got Amtut e-mails in my junk box..... Remembering to filter them out in time was more of a bitch then it was deleting the junk mail in the first place :/

abuse@whoe-ever.com. I'm going to take these FUCKERS DOWN!!!! THEY'RE GOING TO FEEL MY WRATH!!!! I WILL GO ON A MIGHTY ABUSE@WHOEVER.COM CRUSADE AND CLEANSE THE WORLD OF THESE FILTHY INFIDELS!!! WHO IS WITH ME?? Anyone? Anyone at all??

Yes. Aol is the tool of the devil and his conspirators. That's why I've got another 5 of these e-mails today, bounced back from more aol accounts :/

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Which is why mail servers should use the "vrfy" command and not just blindly send out e-mails without first checking that the destination actually exists!

Or maybe they do, and persist in sending messages anyway (either/or/both the actual e-mail or error messages).

"Notice the AOL" difference...yes, let's all notice the difference between a decent ISP and the absolute crap that AOL has to offer. Please, how can we degrade your internet experience and overall life today?

8. Sheriff Fatman

Wow, I accidently wrote a Hotmail customer support mail. How strange and worrying. Maybe I have missed my calling.

Regarding filtering your junkmail, DU, there are more options than just the silly junk filter in Hotmail.

Option (1)
    ------------
    Use Outlook Express to read/write your mail. It has specific support for hotmail accounts (sets up a nice lil inbox for it, etc).

Once using OE, you can set up mail filtering rules, such as "For incoming mails containing 'Internet Detective' in the body/subject, delete without reading." I'm not sure if you can delete from the server without downloading, but if you can, I suggest doing that.

Option (2)
    ------------
    Use a mail filtering program. There is one called "Spam Weasel" that Lysa likes. I don't have spam problems, so I don't use it, but she likes it. It takes a bit of configuring, and requires setting up a local pop3 server, but it works. SXince it is pop3, I'm not sure about using it with Hotmail, but there may be other apps you can use.

9. DarkUnderlord

Will you be applying for a job at MSN Hotmail anytime soon then?

Ahhh.... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

I'm trying to get this setup right now. Having all sorts of problems :/
    Hmmmm.....
    Hmmmm..... Hmmmm..... I'll get back to you about this.

10. Sheriff Fatman

If you're having trouble, you might be able to make it easier for Outlook Express to pick up the hotmail account by installing MSN Messenger (assuming you have no objections).

Maybe I should apply for that job at MSN. Now I'm touting their messenger app ...

11. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

I need a life - I'm sitting here at my comp laughing my head off at other people relating customer support experiences...

12. Notharah

Notharah New Member

yep... you do :wink: :wink: :wink:

goodluck on taking them down DU... I hate retarded FW messages like that

13. gamenut

gamenut New Member

14. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

hotmail

You can alway download Netscape 6.23. I use Netscape than I like it. There is no just think as 100 % security online. Netscape has less security hole than HOTMAIL. :D

15. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

But stats say that Microsoft has already conquered the browser market - most pages are being made for IE, not Netscape.

16. DarkUnderlord

Anyone see the business revolt going on with Micro$haft and their new policy of licensing? User don't buy no more, user "leases" software.

17. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Not nessary true, I found only one of two site so far that only ascept IE only.
    Did you know that all user of compserv now must use Netscape browser. Most wedsite nowday ascept almost all browser just to make their user happy
    and with now than international standard in wedsite design and browser design itnot that hard to have than wedsite able to to ascept all brower. right
    now I than useing Netscape 6.23 to type this mess to you.

18. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

Our Host!